(TANKING) Issues with Resolve Spikes

Hey all, decided to make a post after noticing some strange activity with Resolve spikes. I've recently downloaded an addon to display a bar showing the magnitude of Resolve (Resolve Status on Curse for those interested) and I've noticed while tanking dungeons primarily that there are odd spikes where a generally low Resolve (10-30%) can suddenly shoot up to max (240%) and drop back down a couple times in succession. With the right timing, you can watch for these seemingly random spikes and fire off a Guard for 300k instead of baseline ~90k, despite not taking that much damage.

I haven't gone to much research to how Resolve is calculated, but some sites along with personal experience show it very rapidly decaying. I also haven't documented this issue with any logs but if others are noticing this issue, I'm more than willing to look into it further. I don't mean to complain and go looking for nerfs, but unless there's some type of explanation for these huge spikes, this seems pretty OP if us tanks can learn to recognize and react to these surge.

So my question to you tanks: Have you also been noticing these Resolve spikes? Can anyone explain them?

Deleted
    I've never noticed is spike to that extreme on my paladin in a dungeon so I wouldn't know what would cause it. Though, there is only one thing to snapshot as a paladin so I don't really care to pay attention to my tracker that often

What addon are you using to track resolve?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    What addon are you using to track resolve?
    Your signature is ironic as he put what addon it was in his post Resolve Status

Yes, the addon is Resolve Status, it pretty much turns your Resolve buff into a bar that ranges from 0% to 240% (max). At first I thought the issue to be with the addon but after mousing over the Blizzard default buff frame it shows the Resolve spiking to 240%, so it's not an issue of the addon.

You using any CDs when these spikes happen, specifically diffuse magic or zen meditation? My first thought is this is the same bug that happened with vengeance, since the two calculate damage taken the same way and thus share the same bugs with that. Basically, those CDs could make the game mistakenly think an attack did 10x damage, giving crazy resolve. I think it's a LOT less likely to happen by chance nowadays thanks to the responsiveness changes in WoD, so it's just a guess.

Details on that bug, don't want to type it all out here.
    Last edited by Braindwen; 2014-12-17 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wymarc View Post
    Your signature is ironic as he put what addon it was in his post Resolve Status
    It is indeed. I sw him say he had one and just asked right away.

That the point of the sig though. We can all read and be less ignorant
    READ and be less Ignorant.

alright, to Braindwen, I haven't been using any massive % damage reducs. like Diffuse Magic or Zen Med. (specced into healing elixirs for dungeoning and don't bother with ZenMed for trash packs). That link you posted talked about the scaling being massive on the first hit, but I've been seeing these spikes go up and down for about a 5-8second time frame with 3 or 4 fluctuations. I don't know if it's the algorithm used to calculated Resolve like the mentioned with the Vengeance post.