Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Comcast doubled speeds on most of their plans in certain areas of the west.

Seattle, Salt Lake City, Denver, Portland, and Colorado Springs got a free upgrade today. I am close to Salt Lake and my 30mb connection double in speed to 60 down and 6 up. Not bad for $20USD.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

10+ Year Old Account
    When I got my doubled speed(I live in Illinois) and I swapped out my modem my internet has been feeling crappier. Idk why I loose connection for a while sometimes and YouTube vids feel slower.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling they some times do this just so people will hit their data caps, more download speed=faster that it can happen, if you consume more content because of it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I have a feeling they some times do this just so people will hit their data caps, more download speed=faster that it can happen, if you consume more content because of it.
    Yeah that's exactly why they do it!! *rolls eyes*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    Yeah that's exactly why they do it!! *rolls eyes*
    Actually, this is more plausible than you think, given exactly whom is doing this. I would be wary of free stuff from Comcast if they said it was magic.

I'm guessing this has more to do with them using their customer's modems as WiFi hotspots and less to do with them just being nice
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I'm not in the west but my speed was doubled months ago, i was paying for 24mb and my actual speed was 28mb, one day it randomly went up to 56mb and its been like that for months. They keep increasing the bill every month though, gets really frustrating when you have to call them every month because they just keep adding shit you didn't ask for, then they charge you for it.

Btw the internet has been very unstable lately while playing wow, idk if anyone else is having the same issue. The signal randomly goes off for a couple of mins, and it only happens while playing wow. I'm planning to call them this weekend to see what they tell me.

10+ Year Old Account
    can comfirm, went from 50 down to this:

upload is not affected

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish they would show some love to timewarner customers considering they own tw now. Really sick of paying almost 50$ for 10/1.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    I'm guessing this has more to do with them using their customer's modems as WiFi hotspots and less to do with them just being nice
    Buy your own modem or just ask for a non-router one. Problem solved. The people who let their modems act as hotspots for Comcast generally don't know enough to understand, or just don't care enough anyways for it to be a problem. Realistically anyone who cares even a little about their internet will have their own router if not their own modem.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Of course that is a simple solution for us because we know better, whereas a much much bigger part of their customer base does not and they will gladly exploit them at every possible turn, which is a bit sad on their end and that the end user just doesn't care and isn't willing to learn about it.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in IL and they gave us a new modem/router, doubled. Yay!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I hope you called them to get the public wifi channel disabled so people don't leech off your internet

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope you called them to get the public wifi channel disabled so people don't leech off your internet
    I never enabled it in the first place.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I never enabled it in the first place.
    The bad thing is, it's automatically enabled from the get-go and even if you disable it through the preferences(that is if that option even exists), it will automatically re-enable through frequent updates from comcast to the modem. The only way to make sure it is turned off for good is to call their WiFi department(link below), otherwise they just re-enable it constantly.

And the extra speed does seem to be the reason for this after all:
    In June of last year Comcast announced that the company was launching a new, Fon-like effort that involved new router firmware that turns your gateway into a publicly-accessible hotspot. More specifically, updated routers would now offer two signals: one being yours, and the other being a "xfinitywifi" SSID signal providing free Wi-Fi to other Comcast users in your general area.

Fortunately, users are supposed to be able to disable this functionality if they don't want to share their bandwidth with strangers, but Comcast says this functionality is enabled by default. The public usage also thankfully doesn't count against your Comcast usage cap (if you have one in your market), and Comcast will push more bandwidth your direction to compensate for additional strain on your line.

Unfortunately, I've seen more than a few customers complain that the ability to opt out of the functionality doesn't always work. This thread in our forums is a good example, with users noting Comcast hasn't been particularly helpful:

"My ability to turn WiFi off via the "Users & Preferences" page (does) not exist. Calling the 800 number and going to internet support gave me someone who only suggested trying to disable & re-enable bridge mode (which didn't eliminate 'xfinitywifi'). He then suggested I (get this!) read up on the Comcast customer forums on their website as "there are constantly updates to the firmware in our modems and this is probably just an update that has an issue at the moment."

In other words, the routers are being updated frequently and that appears to be resetting opt out preferences, something less technically savvy users probably aren't going to notice. Of course there's an easy solution here: go buy your own modem and router/gateway, and save yourself both the headache of not being able to control your own devices -- and Comcast's soaring monthly hardware rental fees, which net Comcast $300 million in additional revenue per quarter.
    source: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...ng-WiFi-131719

And a link to the article with the number to call to get is turned off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay yeah, ours is doing that.

After reading that bit you linked though, I don't have much issue with it. Why? Because frankly, I live in an area where there's WiFi routers... everywhere. I really am not worried, at least for now. ^_< Just a nice quaint neighborhood, in a simple town. Not a big city or anything.
    "A flower.

The main thing I would be worried about with it is people using it for less-than-legal things, but I guess it being on a separate channel kinda helps with that

Well, that and it affecting my latency while gaming.

Meh, bought my own modem a year ago, it's already paid for itself in saved rental fees. Glad there's at least THAT way to opt-out.
    Super casual.

Mine($12 refurb off Ebay because we needed one with a phone line out) paid for itself within 2 months and I still get a good 30/8 for my speeds.

Before that we were paying $5/month and they bumped it up to $8 because lolreasons so we found our own. The worst bit? Our rental was a older version of the one I purchased.

10+ Year Old Account
    they don't actually disable it, they just disable SSID broadcast, your neighbors can still leech