Computer won't turn on (no noises at all)

Hello everyone. My problem is as follows:

Couple months ago my computer would BSOD (blue screen of death) when playing a game. It wouldnt do it with regular light use. The peculiar thing was that after the BSOD, it wouldnt turn on. The computer was completely unresponsive when I pressed the power button. No noises whatsoever from anywhere. I would let it sit for a while and then when I tried again, it would turn on. This went on for some time until I decided to open it and check inside. I found everything covered in dust. I bought a compressed air can and de-dusted everything. From then on, I didnt get anymore BSOD while playing the game.

Fast-forward to a couple weeks ago and the computer began showing the same problems of being unresponsive when I tried to power on. I haven’t gotten anymore BSODs but I also havent played any games recently. During the past week I would try to turn it on, it wouldnt respond. Again no noises, nothing. I would wait 20-30 minutes, try again and it turns on.

That was until 3 days ago that it hasnt turned on anymore. I’m guessing the component that was intermittently failing, finally died completely.

The purpose of my post is to know if any of you would know (according to the symptoms etc) which component of my computer died so I could buy a new one and replace it and keep on using my computer. Or if there is a way for me to single out what broke. I dont really want to start buying a PSU, a motherboard, etc, without knowing what it is.

Computer details:
    It was a Dell XPS 8300 bought back in January 2011. Internal components are:
    Intel i7 2600
    Radeon HD 6850
    460W PSU
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
    1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Thanks.

Deleted
    Would venture a guess at the PSU - mine did something similar a while back and would hold power after shutting down, had to drain it by unplugging and leaving.

As stated above though, just a guess, wait for a better judge

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kiurys View Post
    Hello everyone. My problem is as follows:

Couple months ago my computer would BSOD (blue screen of death) when playing a game. It wouldnt do it with regular light use. The peculiar thing was that after the BSOD, it wouldnt turn on. The computer was completely unresponsive when I pressed the power button. No noises whatsoever from anywhere. I would let it sit for a while and then when I tried again, it would turn on. This went on for some time until I decided to open it and check inside. I found everything covered in dust. I bought a compressed air can and de-dusted everything. From then on, I didnt get anymore BSOD while playing the game.

Fast-forward to a couple weeks ago and the computer began showing the same problems of being unresponsive when I tried to power on. I haven’t gotten anymore BSODs but I also havent played any games recently. During the past week I would try to turn it on, it wouldnt respond. Again no noises, nothing. I would wait 20-30 minutes, try again and it turns on.

That was until 3 days ago that it hasnt turned on anymore. I’m guessing the component that was intermittently failing, finally died completely.

The purpose of my post is to know if any of you would know (according to the symptoms etc) which component of my computer died so I could buy a new one and replace it and keep on using my computer. Or if there is a way for me to single out what broke. I dont really want to start buying a PSU, a motherboard, etc, without knowing what it is.

Computer details:
    It was a Dell XPS 8300 bought back in January 2011. Internal components are:
    Intel i7 2600
    Radeon HD 6850
    460W PSU
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
    1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM

Thanks.
    My guess would be either of the cheap ass PSUs/Mobos that Dell puts in their systems among other Prebuilt brands. Only way to single it out is to swap out parts. The lack of attempt to even boot up would indicate the crappy PSU is likely the culprit. Dust doesn't help your situation though.

If you have a friend that can let you use his PSU for a few minutes to test it out on your parts that would solve that issue. Just make sure it's capable of running your parts.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

It's dead Jim.

1) Trouble shoot the start button. make sure the cable to the motherboard is not loose and uninstall reseat it. You can try to jump the pins and start attempt that way.

2) PSU. You can buy a cheap PSU tester--5 to 15 bucks. you can as mentioned above barrow a Known good PSU and test your rig.

3) CMOS battery- should be good for 5 to 7 years but you never know....could replace that for 7 bucks or so.

4) unplug all your peripherals and graphics card and plug video into the motherboard see if it boots. unplug and reseat all cables.

5) test your memory on a known good machine. If your savy enough memtest on flashdrive and boot it up pre windows. one memory at a time 1 pass. 1 error means bad.

eitherway bad memory will give you errors but you should still get to bios screen first or go thru couple post screens.

If that doesn't work suspect PSU and motherboard....if that doesn't work then suspect the CPU.

I'd imagine a intel i7 2600 is still relevant enough to try and salvage at this point....

so get a new 600 watt power supply 80+ bronze and update your graphics card and buy a relevant motherboard.....hope your chip didn't fry....

the motherboard in my research is tough to find a gaming chip set. P67 is the preferred but hard to find. the Z68 is little easier to find and a tad cheaper.

lists of the relevant chipsets to use to buy your board from.
    http://processormatch.intel.com/Moth...tName=i7-2600K

use the filters here on the lower right to find a board. just pick an intel i7 2600 chip. then the auto compatible filter will show with motherboards.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/mother...t=a8&qq=1&c=50