Blizzard Launcher causing GPU crashes

Now I remember why I updated my GPU drivers- the Blizzard launcher program seems to be causing weird GPU errors and crashes.

Sometimes when I open it, Windows will completely freeze for about 2 seconds, then the screen will go blank for a second before everything comes back, and Windows gives me a little pop-up message about how a graphics driver crashed and successfully recovered. It doesn't do this EVERY time, but still about once or twice a day.

Also, sometimes instead of crashing the GPU driver, when I open the Blizzard Launcher, it will just be an empty window for about 5 seconds before bringing up an error about a graphical effect failing to load, and prompting me to restart the program. Not a Windows error, but an error message from the Blizzard Launcher.

I tried updating to the latest nVidia drivers, but as I posted in the other thread, that caused issues with my resolution, forcing me down to 1920x1080 and preventing me from going any higher. (my normal resolution is 2048 x 1152, 23" monitor) I quickly reverted back to the previous drivers using Device Manager.

Are there any nVidia drivers that are confirmed to be NOT buggy and shitty? I don't know if upgrading my drivers will stop this problem from happening, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Using an EVGA GTX 460, btw. Current drivers are dated March 14th, 2014. (9.18.13.3523)
    Last edited by anon5123; 2014-12-18 at 12:36 AM.

Might want to uninstall your graphics driver and do a graphics driver cleanning program. then reinstall the driver in safemode.

some have recommended this program....i've seen couple others.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

other thing you can do is delete WTV file contents in your wow program file and delete all your addons and get the newest ones.

other then that thats a software solution....

Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    other thing you can do is delete WTV file contents in your wow program file and delete all your addons and get the newest ones.
    Uh...why would my WoW addons be affecting the Blizzard Launcher?

I'm not talking about the WoW client, I'm talking about the Blizzard Launcher program. You know, this thing:

http://i.imgur.com/Hqauc30.jpg

Well the only time for me the launcher did this kind of thing is when I updated my videodriver while the launcher was open and when I tried to launch a game after that, usually works normally after restarting it so my first suggestion would be don't update your graphics driver with the blizzard launcher open

well your graphics card is little dated by 4 to 5 years.

If you think the launcher has issues then unistall it reinstall it. Revounistaller is a nice program and it will clean out left overs.

I just assumed you play wow being on a wow forum.....

The wow technical forums usually has some nice idea's over there. little hard to find and read sometimes but worth the effort.

Is this the only program causing you to crash?
    Have you tried starting wow without the launcher? Or reinstalling the launcher?
    What do your windows logs say?
    Updated the driver in the past week and tried reverting back to a previous restore point?
    Is there an error code with the pop up box?
    Could be the card going bad. I had a card just start crashing only on certain programs and it progress to more and more programs until I RMA'd it.

Quote Originally Posted by Civfanata View Post
    Is this the only program causing you to crash?
    Yes, the launcher is the only program that crashes my GPU.

Have you tried starting wow without the launcher? Or reinstalling the launcher?
    Again, it's not the WoW client, it's the launcher.

What do your windows logs say?
    "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Updated the driver in the past week and tried reverting back to a previous restore point?
    No, I haven't updated the driver since March '14. When I did update the driver 3 days ago, it was causing other problems with the GPU so I reverted back to the March '14 driver.

Is there an error code with the pop up box?
    No.

Could be the card going bad.
    Don't think so. I've had this GPU for years and never had any problems with it, never had any problems with the Blizzard launcher either, but now all of a sudden the Blizzard launcher is causing the GPU to crash from time to time.

I'd uninstall the drivers entirely - maybe even using a driver stripper tool - and install the latest stable drivers for your GPU. If it is indeed drivers that are the issue, that'll fix it.

If that doesn't, reinstall the Blizzard Launcher to remove that from the equation.

If THAT doesn't fix it, it's probably hardware, or a very obscure issue with the OS. If you have another video card you can try, or a friend willing to run yours for a while to see if he has issues with it, that'd help the diagnosis.
    Super casual.

Blizzard's launcher pulls information from your graphics drivers for the games you play, probably because some driver packages interface with the games...like the NVIDIA Geforce experience. Anyway, like others have suggested, do a fresh install by uninstalling your current driver suite and running a program like CCleaner to clear the remnants and reinstall fresh.

You could also reinstall the launcher as well. Should take no more than a couple of minutes and doesn't affect your game installs.