Best Spec for Pre-BIS?

Sorry if the question is redundant but looking at Sims, it seems to only show BIS preferred specialization.

I am likely not going to take raiding seriously this expansion but will be running dungeons, LFR and pugs. I have been running Assassination but I see Sub does very well. Should I be running sub as my spec even though I am rolling with a 640 ilvl? Or should I just stick with Assassination?
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the highmaul loot table and current sims and boss design Combat is definitely the way to go. Subtlety looks like a monster, but there's literally 90% haste/X agi gear that drops from highmaul

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceghostx View Post
    With the highmaul loot table and current sims and boss design Combat is definitely the way to go. Subtlety looks like a monster, but there's literally 90% haste/X agi gear that drops from highmaul
    May not be the same for everyone depending on gear, but at equal gear levels, I'm simming 500 higher as sub over combat. That typically goes out the window on most fights in highmaul given the intense amount of cleave fights

Quote Originally Posted by warstry View Post
    May not be the same for everyone depending on gear, but at equal gear levels, I'm simming 500 higher as sub over combat. That typically goes out the window on most fights in highmaul given the intense amount of cleave fights
    Thanks for the replies guys. At the moment, I have daggers so I will stick with Assassination I guess. I would like to go over to combat for the loot as you state, so maybe I will just run Combat in LFR until I get some drops then go full time.

I was really looking forward to Sub being my spec in PVE as it's been SO LONG since it's been viable and has never been a viable AOE option until now.

Hopefully they fix the lack of daggers. Or just remove the restriction. Honestly, I understand the whole daggers being Rogue esque, but at this point, since we are the only melee class that uses them, perhaps it's best just to remove the restriction.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

Assn is not viable, subt is good for Kargath, Butcher and Ko'ragh, Combat is good for Barack, Rectus and Brogron, both are fine for Imperator. The only reason combat is viable is all the haste on gear, unless meta changes Subt will be king of Foundry by a long stretch on aLL fights.

By the way, if you RNG a Scales, its time to learn Subt...