Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Telltale is working on Minecraft.....story mode.

I kid you not.

http://www.telltalegames.com/minecraftstorymode/

A five episode series set in Minecraft with story,characters and choices.

This should be interesting.

--edit--

Here's the official announcement by Telltale:

"Minecraft: Story Mode will be an all-new narrative-driven game series developed by Telltale in collaboration with Mojang. Set in the world of Minecraft, the series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product that will premiere in 2015 on consoles, computers and mobile devices.

Telltale's game series will mix new characters with familiar themes, in an entirely original Minecraft experience, inspired by the Minecraft community and the game that continues to inspire a generation."

Source
    Last edited by mmocb3bae280f1; 2014-12-20 at 10:41 AM.

Deleted
    Microsoft's billions at work?

This...will be quite...I don't know.

Wait, huh? You would have me believe, that Microsoft tapped Telltale's shoulder's and shoved them their 2.5 billion dollar IP for... a story game?

You didn't read that right, son.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Wait, huh? You would have me believe, that Microsoft tapped Telltale's shoulder's and shoved them their 2.5 billion dollar IP for... a story game?

You didn't read that right, son.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/blog/88...eries-for-2015

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/...aft-story-mode

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...ode-announced/

Dear... God

Telltale will get everything in their bag now, won't they? Next up: Star Trek, a Telltale adventure.

That seems like the worst possible title to choose from, there's practically zero lore or characters in Minecraft?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    That seems like the worst possible title to choose from, there's practically zero lore or characters in Minecraft?
    Plus,how are they going to handle the graphics? TWD/The Wolf Among Us is based on the comics,GoT and Tales from Borderlands have styles similar to their source....what is minecraft going to be? Low-res cubes? With choices being "Which material did you use?"?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a story about a block man. The block man traveled, dug, build... and murdered for his self gain. His lust for building desecrated the living areas of cave dwelling creatures. Forested trees for his needs. Pillaged the caves of their resources leaving it no longer recognizable. Flooded lava with water to go into hell. Doing all this to invade the homes of the endermen and their lord and master, the ender dragon, just so he can get the prize possession, the sacred egg. Just so he can decorate, his, building.

I'll reserve my judgement for the final product since Telltale are pretty great at storytelling. I do have some major concerns, though, that the company will be bribed by greedy investors to be pushed in a completely different direction. I just don't see how this is going to work - the other settings they've worked on have a pretty rich story to begin with. Minecraft has absolutely nothing.

Still a better love story than Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by Talthanor View Post
    I'll reserve my judgement for the final product since Telltale are pretty great at storytelling. I do have some major concerns, though, that the company will be bribed by greedy investors to be pushed in a completely different direction. I just don't see how this is going to work - the other settings they've worked on have a pretty rich story to begin with. Minecraft has absolutely nothing.
    The potential is unlimited

There's huge room for failure, but if anyone can pull this off it's TellTale =P

They'll strike a gold mine with this. Telltale has an impeccable record so far with the quality of their story telling. I put Walking Dead Season 1 above Grim Fandango/Longest Journey and they were my favorite story telling games for 15+ years.

Also if they keep the Minecraft type graphics, it means older PC's will be able to run it most likely, bypassing the market of older PC gamers who actually put money into hardware. Gramma can play it with Little Joey on Christmas Eve on her 2006 stock dual core $300 Walmart computer. It's a win/win for them.
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2014-12-18 at 10:43 PM.

telltale keeping busy don't think I've ever seen a game dev take on as many products as telltale does in the amount of time they do (outside of like a small ios or shovel ware dev)

Quote Originally Posted by Orikon View Post
    Plus,how are they going to handle the graphics? TWD/The Wolf Among Us is based on the comics,GoT and Tales from Borderlands have styles similar to their source....what is minecraft going to be? Low-res cubes? With choices being "Which material did you use?"?
    Could be something like this:

Still very much the minecraft style, but prettied up with lighting effects.

Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    telltale keeping busy don't think I've ever seen a game dev take on as many products as telltale does in the amount of time they do (outside of like a small ios or shovel ware dev)
    The games Telltale develops don't require the half your typically video game requires; the game is mostly art, SFX, story drafted several times over the course of a couple months, and a cinematics team that positions camera angles. Other devs have to deal with game mechanics, designing maps, level scripting, etc.

Deleted
    I'm still waiting for the Microsoft remake of Minecraft where they make the game on actual code instead of the shit Java that it's built on, get rid of the pixel graphics and make it look a bit like Mario or something (although at the same time, knowing Microsoft, get rid of the ability to customize graphics), make the blocks a bit rounded here and there, but otherwise keep it as it is.

Don't get me wrong, I might play that. However, 7 Days to Die is starting to show us that you can make "realistic landscapes" and shit while still using the exact same block idea. I wouldn't mind Minecraft perhaps taking a step in that direction.

Implying that it is impossible to expand it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

I loved TTG's recent games so I think this all sounds great, my only concern would be them taking on so many franchises at once. Hope the quality stays where it was.

Also, better not push back TWD season 3!

Well this is an opportunity to be original I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Talthanor View Post
    Good for them. It's really cool see such a small company grow into something bigger and better. They went from having next to nothing on their plate to having a full plate stacked to the ceiling. And very much deserved. The one game that everyone would know from them is The Walking Dead and it was heavily criticized when the trailer was first released. People bashed the graphics and the game play mechanics and said that it 'wouldn't work'. But as we saw, they are masters at storytelling and it won game of the year by many. I wasn't surprised as I've been playing their games since day 1, but the majority had never heard of them. They're similar to Pixar Studios in which you question some of their ideas, but in the end if anyone can pull it off, it's them.