7+ Year Old Account

Post Does Race Really Matter?

Hey guys! I recently made the decision to swap from my monk to my druid to play balance because my raid group was struggling to find ranged players and we needed a balance druid pretty badly. I've played Resto and Feral/Guardian on and off since patch 2.2 and love this class but I didn't have a ton of experience with balance until recently. I've done hours/days worth of research and talked to a lot of really good balance druids but the one thing I can't get a consistent answer on is whether or not race really matters.

I read the balance druid guide that is stickied in this forum but the giant tag at the top saying that edits are in the works and that the information may not be current/accurate really made me take everything it said with a grain of salt, so I figured I'd ask you- the druid community. Does my race really matter?

Extra relevant info-

1- I play horde, so Night Elves and Worgen need not be considered.

2- My offspec will be Feral/Guardian for fights where we need to even out melee or I need to tank.

3- I do care about min/maxing to an extent, but if the difference is neglegible then I'm willing to overlook it.

If there are any other factors I need to take into consideration feel free to bring them up. If I broke any rules by posting this thread forgive me as I'm relatively new around here. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Kezyah; 2014-12-18 at 08:37 PM. Reason: clarity

I think the best way to look at this is the debate between a 2handed weapon or a 1hand and an off hand. While one may be slightly more powerful the gain is so small its not game changing. Your best bet is to choose the race you want instead of trying to get that extrar .5% damage increase. Why look at a character for however long you decide to keep him that you dont enjoy just for such a small gain.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by boomkinhero View Post
    No.
    /thread
    This is an odd case where that response is actually welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reveries1 View Post
    I think the best way to look at this is the debate between a 2handed weapon or a 1hand and an off hand. While one may be slightly more powerful the gain is so small its not game changing. Your best bet is to choose the race you want instead of trying to get that extrar .5% damage increase. Why look at a character for however long you decide to keep him that you dont enjoy just for such a small gain.
    That's generally how I feel which is why if the difference in output is negligible I plan on playing Tauren. I just wanted to make sure that it really was.

Thanks for the responses

just dont be a male night elf. they made the run look so god damn stupid its amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by theredlie View Post
    This is an odd case where that response is actually welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

That's generally how I feel which is why if the difference in output is negligible I plan on playing Tauren. I just wanted to make sure that it really was.

Thanks for the responses
    Haha yea, I didn't know what else to say - you seem to be knowledgeable enough there isn't need for explaining.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpyman View Post
    just dont be a male night elf. they made the run look so god damn stupid its amazing.
    Luckily I play horde and ended up going Tauren. Found some math showing the dps difference between Tauren and Troll being <200dps which is more marginal than I could've ever imagined.

I LOVE my male Night Elf tyvm!

Quote Originally Posted by Chimpyman View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

My druid was a Tauren before I switched sides. I say Tauren all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by theredlie View Post
    Luckily I play horde and ended up going Tauren. Found some math showing the dps difference between Tauren and Troll being <200dps which is more marginal than I could've ever imagined.