Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iriecolorado View Post
    I don't recall any of them asking to join me. The quest mechanics force them to join my garrison like a ship dropping off slaves in Cuba. Hell, you can even BUY "followers" that have no say in the matter from "vendors" (aka slave traders.)

They can't leave, they're forced to work. The only way they can get a day off is if you "deactivate" them. You have total control over every minute of their life. Those double drops from work orders that appear when you assign a "follower" to a building or mine? Yeah, they had to break those rocks and pick those herbs for your double order.
    so you're trying to have something of a serious talk, then mention quest mechanics for their joining. Its also game mechanics that keep us from paying them. Its game mechanics that keep them from leaving. Don't be dense and put controversy where there is none.

10+ Year Old Account
    You say that they get no rewards. How do you know that? They could very well keep part of the loot they get from doing those tasks that are given to them. For example, a mission gives 100g if you complete it. But what if those bad guys actually have 200g, and keep half of it? Not to mention all that gear they were wearing. Lots of items to sell. The followers might also get paid by your factions leader, since they do work for the Horde/Alliance. Just see the Inn, if you chose to build it. People are coming and going all the time. Quite possible someone is coming, paying them, and leaving again.
    Last edited by Santti; 2014-12-18 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    They need to step up their game then, I can only have 25 right now
    With dozens more unable to leave despite not being forced to perform actual work. Deactivated "followers" still can't leave the "garrison."

Deleted
    They join you and the only reason they can't leave is because it would really suck if you log into the game one day and they are gone, because of "realism". Also, it's a fucking military outpost. They are as much slaves as any soldier is.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    You say that they get no rewards. How do you know that? They could very well keep part of the loot they get from doing those tasks that are given to them. For example, a mission gives 100g if you complete it. But what if those bad guys actually have 200g, and keep half of it? Not to mention all that gear they were wearing. The followers might also get paid by your factions leader, since they do work for the Horde/Alliance. Just see the Inn, if you chose to build it. People are coming and going all the time. Quite possible someone is coming, paying them, and leaving again.
    Bold claim. Any proof? Because as it stands now the game indicates they get absolutely nothing. Maybe those slaves in the deep south actually got half the money from the cotton they picked? I mean, history shows that isn't the case, but that might, right? Right?

10+ Year Old Account
    With dozens more unable to leave despite not being forced to perform actual work. Deactivated "followers" still can't leave the "garrison."
    If they're not working, they're no good to me

I find it odd that the one place in the Horde garrison that gets no sunlight is the one place where we have our herb garden.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? My slav... my followers can leave whenever they want.

Of course, that comes at a price.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=119161/c...karg-bloodfury

Dont' kid yourself, buddy. You can buy your "follower" (aka slave) from a "vendor" (aka slave trader) for gold. That "follower" never had a choice.
    it is called a contract, basically hired mercenaries and just like the contract you are paying them an amount to help defend the garrison until their contract is done, in this case its the war, this is done in many military even today, a lot of the places out there that have american soldiers guarding foreign areas were agreements, aka contracts made by the higher ups.
    Christopher W "Garage House Screen."

They are compensated with food, shelter, and equipment, all of which would take a higher priority than shiny gold coins when stationed in a fortified outpost in enemy territory.

Also we send our followers on missions. Which means they leave the garrison over and over with no direct supervision. Which means they could simply not come back if they wanted and there would be very little we could do about it. Coupled with the fact that our followers willingly chose to join our force and serve, and the garrison functions as a military outpost, your argument is not applicable.

Or, if you insist, it needs to apply to all the NPCs. Do we pay the staff at the garrison inn for their services? At the gem boutique I trade metal for gems which I have made in to jewelry, but the crafters receive no monetary compensation. Wait, what? You could apply that argument to almost any NPC in the game? How do we know the store owners in towns and cities are making a profit and we're not simply paying them for the cost of the item? Do the store owners actually make money or are they forced to sell things for no compensation? Are city guards paid, or simply ordered to serve because they are a military force, as is the garrison? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite part about this, is that the link OP used very clearly states you're buying a contract, and not a person.
    Contracts are agreements between two parties for predefined work/actions/etc.

the blood elf I had active that I deactivated her, i don't see her in my garrision anymore only when I activate her. stop making shit up.
    Christopher W "Garage House Screen."

What do you call it when "followers" are locked into your "garrison", they can't leave of their own free will and they're forced to perform work for you (24/7 if you demand) for absolutely no reward, payment or compensation of any kind? We've got a term for that in America, and it's slavery, pure and simple.

It's cute that Blizzard wants to call these characters "followers" and your base a "garrison," but there's no free will. This is a slave plantation and it's disgusting.
    The followers all volunteered their services, and pretty plainly too, I might add.

The peons, on the other hand...

oh nice , to bad i did not find the followers with the sex trait .

10+ Year Old Account
    My followers are well fed, well supplied, and have a Pandaren Brew Bash every night after a good days work. My Followers are happy and healthy. They can go as they please, but because I treat them so well. They decide to stay under command. They could leave whenever they want. They just think I'm that awesome they stay. :3

15+ Year Old Account
    What do you call it when "followers" are locked into your "garrison", they can't leave of their own free will and they're forced to perform work for you (24/7 if you demand) for absolutely no reward, payment or compensation of any kind? We've got a term for that in America, and it's slavery, pure and simple.

It's cute that Blizzard wants to call these characters "followers" and your base a "garrison," but there's no free will. This is a slave plantation and it's disgusting.
    The followers come to the garrison after offering to work for you, which you accept and they accept through the "Complete Quest" button. Once they arrive at your garrison they perform whatever you wish, because that's what they're there for. As far as "free will" goes, they have no free will since they're simple programmed constructs that would be annoying if they had free will. In theory, after a set amount of time, Blizzard could have the NPC's pop a new quest bubble up that asked for more gold or a quest you do for the follower to retain their services. If after a certain amount of time you ignore the quest, the NPC leaves and doesn't come back; what an incredibly annoying gameplay mechanic that would be for people that leave for a few months. Blizzard got rid of the game mechanic where hunter pets exercised "free will" in running away if you didn't feed them after a while because it was annoying, if I remember correctly.
    Mímir, 100 Night Elf Hunter, Stormrage

10+ Year Old Account
    Bold claim. Any proof? Because as it stands now the game indicates they get absolutely nothing.
    The game doesn't indicate anything at all. All we have are guesses, both you and me.

You are playing the wrong game m8.

By any chance do you live in Ferguson? Do you want us to riot, oh and do some looting on the side?

Ok since the OP is delusional or bored and made this topic a few things need to be said:

1) Just like others have said, they are part of a military campaign and cannot leave without great punishment
    2) You literally linked a contract stating you "buy slaves" but they are literally contracts like for mercenaries or hired help (and no not THAT hired help).
    3) Deactivated Followers are like troops on standby to be called upon at any time. Only difference is some are put on standby indefinitely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    The followers come to the garrison after offering to work for you, which you accept and they accept through the "Complete Quest" button. Once they arrive at your garrison they perform whatever you wish, because that's what they're there for. As far as "free will" goes, they have no free will since they're simple programmed constructs that would be annoying if they had free will. In theory, after a set amount of time, Blizzard could have the NPC's pop a new quest bubble up that asked for more gold or a quest you do for the follower to retain their services. If after a certain amount of time you ignore the quest, the NPC leaves and doesn't come back; what an incredibly annoying gameplay mechanic that would be for people that leave for a few months. Blizzard got rid of the game mechanic where hunter pets exercised "free will" in running away if you didn't feed them after a while because it was annoying, if I remember correctly.
    I'd rather like that "complete this or I leave mechanic" if you can go hunt them down again but just like the first time, their rarity is random and level reset so you have to re-level them. Better than bye-bye forever.

btw how do you know, what they are doing after you log out? yetsterday i forgot to pick up my rewards form glad. sanctum so i logged once again and there was a party everywhere in my garrison