Poll: Holy Nova

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What should they do with Holy Nova?

As all of you have probably figured out by now, Holy Nova is a completely useless spell with the current tuning. I'd like to read your opinions on how you think they should deal with this spell in the future based on the options I've listed in the poll.

Just to add, but any HN buffs will have to be met with PW:S nerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddya View Post
    Just to add, but any HN buffs will have to be met with PW:S nerfs.
    Reverting the 50% nerf to HN 20% buff to PW:S would be a good place to start.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Never liked the spell... 6.0 disc in SoO was the stupidest playstyle i've ever seen in this game

Remove it and make our lvl 90 talents good again instead.

Remove it.
    Buff PoH instead, give us something to AoE instead of the old boring mass bubbles.

Deleted
    Buff Holy Nova, PoM, Atonement, L90 talents. Nerf Power Word: Shield.

I vote either remove it or give it some interesting interaction with other spells. It's ridiculous if disc goes from spamming one spell to spamming another.

And yes, nerf PW:S or make it only castable on one person at a time or something.

I don't think they should just remove holy nova, speaking as a leveling priest who is usually top 2 in aoe dps as discipline. I love my nova don't rob me

And to me, if you want to play reactively and aoe heal then play holy. If you enjoy playing proactively then disc spamming is for you. I personally enjoy disc on aoe intensive fights, but I'm an old wotlk player so battling LK infests as a disc was always epic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkasinger View Post
    I don't think they should just remove holy nova, speaking as a leveling priest who is usually top 2 in aoe dps as discipline. I love my nova don't rob me

And to me, if you want to play reactively and aoe heal then play holy. If you enjoy playing proactively then disc spamming is for you. I personally enjoy disc on aoe intensive fights, but I'm an old wotlk player so battling LK infests as a disc was always epic.
    The problem with Holy Nova is not in levelling content - at max level it is almost useless and we basically never cast it while we are too reliant on PW:S which is detrimental both to the Discipline priest and the other healers they are playing with. The solution isn't really to remove it since Discipline would just become even more reliant on PW:S.

You do raise a very good point though. I'm more likely to use Holy Nova to add DPS than I am to heal.

Aren't there always some abilities that you don't use though? And to me, if I'm absorbing so much dmg that other healers are left twiddling their thumbs I'm doing a damn good job. Seems like a great problem to have.

Remove/Add synergy to HN, but also remove the stupid group restriction on PoH.

Seriously, PoH is currently the only heal in the entire game that is still restricted to groups. No other healer has to deal with the bullshit of having an addon to tell you which group member is the best to cast your AoE heal on, because of it being restricted to a group which makes absolutely no sense in-universe.

I'd love to hear Blizz's explanation for why PoH is still group-locked. I can't see any good reason for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkasinger View Post
    Aren't there always some abilities that you don't use though? And to me, if I'm absorbing so much dmg that other healers are left twiddling their thumbs I'm doing a damn good job. Seems like a great problem to have.
    Not from the perspective of those other healers. They don't have anything to do then and see their worth to the raid diminished. Why bother taking another healer if one of them already absorbs everything? Might as well bring a DPS...

And that is a problem. We saw it in SoO coming from the stupid gear inflation and uncapped L90 talents and people were not happy at all!

Yes, there will always be some abilities that don't get used but look at where the majority of Discipline healing is concentrated. More than 70% comes from two spammable shields which are single target. This is compounded by the relative strength of PW:S more than anything else since CoW is fine and Discipline doesn't really have a filler AoE heal, something which Holy Nova was supposed to bring.

At the moment, Discipline has an almost equitable number of abilities that don't get regularly used which are Heal, Flash Heal PoM, non-EAA PoH, Holy Nova and Smite vs Solace, EAA PoH, Penance, CoW and PW:S. L90s are encounter dependent at the moment it feels.

To have most of Discipline's healing come from two of those four spells and for the abilities to be shields is a real issue.

I'd love to hear Blizz's explanation for why PoH is still group-locked. I can't see any good reason for it.
    Because Clarity of Purpose is a Holy talent and it would make EAA difficult (which wouldn't be a bad thing IMO, it might encourage some better designs). Spirit Shell could be reworked into a CoP-style where it applies preferentially to targets with the lowest total absorb so that isn't an issue.
    Last edited by mmocbb91367365; 2014-12-19 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeez View Post
    Because Clarity of Purpose is a Holy talent
    It wasn't a Holy talent in Cata/MoP.

Like seriously, outside of CoP, why is PoH still group-locked? It's like one of those old odd design choices leftover from Vanilla, like Levitate costing a Light Feather, or Mind Blast generating high threat. Why is PoH still group locked after all the other group-locked heals became raidwide?

I'm just really sick of PoH being group locked after so many expansions. It's an incredibly nagging QoL issue.

I would personally like to see some interaction with arc angel. I really liked how it works with PoH now. It would be cool to have it be able t be an rjw like thing if used with it.
    Otherwise I would like to see it's healing buffed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    It wasn't a Holy talent in Cata/MoP.

Like seriously, outside of CoP, why is PoH still group-locked? It's like one of those old odd design choices leftover from Vanilla, like Levitate costing a Light Feather, or Mind Blast generating high threat. Why is PoH still group locked after all the other group-locked heals became raidwide?

I'm just really sick of PoH being group locked after so many expansions. It's an incredibly nagging QoL issue.
    Especially taking into consideration that our 4 set bonus is around PoH...
    I do feel stupid asking my raidlead to sort groups in raid, no other healer needs to ask for BS like that.
    Not only is PoH currently too expensive but its also too stupid. we have the great EAA mechanic.. but I just dont feel like casting such a stupid skill.
    Holy Nova would be really nice with a little bit more healing. In SoO it was OP because you could stack at the last boss. Now we have lots of fights where this isn't possible. I don't think HN spam would be viable at any boss in the amount we did at garrosh.
    Its just so sad that they added a skill that is useless. I would like to cast it while moving.. but its more benefitial to cast a shield on someone.
    Is PW:S still our best AoE heal?

PoH is like that simply because if they would take the group restriction away, it would be the most spammable and strong smart healing spell ever. You would literally target yourself and spam spam spam spam. Since it wasn't changed in MoP which was a smart-healing fest, I don't see them changing it now.

- Buff HN's numbers but give it a cast time
    - Increase HN's mana costs drastically, but add a buff to BT that reduces the mana cost of HN
    - Buff Atonement slightly
    - Buff PoM
    - Buff T90s to be on Cascade's level
    - Nerf PW:S to shield for the amount Rejuv/Renew heal for
    - Nerf CoW to shield for as much as Heal

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    You would literally target yourself and spam spam spam spam.
    Have fun OOMing yourself in under 60 seconds.

Its mana cost is way too high to "spam" it.

It wouldn't even have to be a smart heal, just remove the group restriction. Make it heal the same way CoH does.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddya View Post
    - Buff Atonement slightly
    Atonement needs a lot more than a "slight" buff. It needs to be healing for at least 2x its current healing in order to be useful at all. Even at 648 ilvl, my Smites are only hitting for about 5k. Whereas Heal is healing for 40-43k, without Archangel.

Blue post said that Atonement should heal for about 60% of what your normal spells heal for...in reality it's more like 15%.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    PoH is like that simply because if they would take the group restriction away, it would be the most spammable and strong smart healing spell ever. You would literally target yourself and spam spam spam spam. Since it wasn't changed in MoP which was a smart-healing fest, I don't see them changing it now.
    I'm not quite sure I understand - what would make it a smart heal?

This is me defining "smart heal" as "specifically targeting those in range at the lowest % health," rather than "the 4 people closest to my target regardless of their current health %," though.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Make it work with spirit shell, as simple as that.

Maybe they could also give it the same benefit as prayer of healing.. first one is auto-crit when you use with EAA.

We all know we'll have nerfs to PW:S at some point.. most obvious would be to remove the perk and glyph for Weakened Soul.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch