Question Looking for help/tips with our Ele shaman

Hey Shaman dudes and dudettes. Our guild is trying to push for Mythic and we are starting to cut people who underperform for their gear level. Our elemental shaman, Calcan, has been consistently inconsistent on the meters, except for one thing: he is usually one of the lowest dps in our group. He pulls just enough to not be a wound in our heroic progression, but I fear for him for Mythic.

I'm buddies with him and I want to keep him in our raid group, so I want to help him. Problem is, aside from shaman guides, I don't know much about shaman dps. So I turn to you shaman community, please help me help him.

Here is our WoL for tonight's raid:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/js551nuw5p3wwvp7/

And here is his armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Calcan/simple

He struggles to beat my tank paladin on dps sometimes, it has been pretty bad. Help me obi-shaman-kenobi, you're my only hope.

I know that ele shaman's aren't the top dogs right now, but when we had a second ele before he went resto for us, he was beating Cal by a few thousand dps.

Well just from the armory; empty sockets, unenchanted neck, back, ring and weapon.Tell him to go multistrike for all. Also checked the butcher since it's a more stable fight, 66% uptime for flame shock is really low.Many of his lava bursts missed the dmg buff because of this. Tell him to use some kind of tracker add-on if he cant manage just by blizzard ui.Keeping flame shock on boss all the times and using lava burst on cd is the key. Also glyph of fire elemental is very situational, i hope he's not using it for all bosses.He should be using it if there is a burst dmg requirement at some point of the fight.Full uptime of fire ele witl BL is a good boost to dps. I dont know his rotation but it seems he needs a little more practice.

His rotation is far off. Everything felix says is right. Butcher is the one fight where my personal Simulations are under the damage output i manage. His Sims is at 22123 and his dps is 14210.

At that point he just doesn't know how to play his class. Most likely because he can't be bothered.
    Tell him to go to mmo-champion (obviously) icy-veins etc and just read the guides. They will help him because he plain sucks.
    If he doesn't bother to do his homework remove him. Its rude to the other raiders to miss your potential dps by 35% and expect a raidspot.

Just let him read and apply the awesome guide on MMO Champion:PvE-Guide-Elemental-Shaman-Updated-for-6-0-3 and check if he's doing it right:

His talents and glyphs are wrong at the moment. He should definetely go with unleash elements talent and the spiritwalker's focus glyph for movement -heavy fights
    plus his enchants and gemming sucks right now

Of course the most important things are what the guys above me are talking about, his rotation should be fixed as soon as possible

Deleted
    The above posts have pretty much covered what is wrong with your Shaman's rotation, but not really what to do about it. Situations like this can be extremely sensitive. Obviously by posting here for help, you aren't the kind of guild that will just blanket kick people, you'd rather the players you have improved than just get new players. As such, simply telling him 'You suck, go read Undefetter's fabulous guide of fabulousness because he is so awesome', whilst possibly true, isn't really going to end too well.

I would recommend (as someone who has been raid leading for over 5 years) that you try a more general approach, start of by telling the whole guild that performance is an issue, and that - even if you are number 1 on the meters - you shouldn't ever settle. Constantly be striving towards being the best player you can be. This will apply to everyone in the guild. People who purely focus on their performance relative to others in their guild are doing it wrong. They should be looking at their performance relative to all players of their class/itemlevel/progression, and striving to be the best in that group of people too.

If this doesn't cause people to go looking for advice themselves, and nothing changes, then that is where you pull people aside, and politely point out flaws in their performance that you can see, as well as provide them resources on how to improve. Giving people the clear notion that they need to improve, but without singling them out right away, is normally the best option for keeping a motivated team. This also has the potential added benefit of causing your entire team to improve, and not just your one particularly weak raid member.

I suppose my text was abit "cold" So what undefetter says is obviously the way how to handle it as a RaidLeader.

In my opinion everyone that actually raids should have the drive to do the best possible. And i just don't see it there.
    However some advice on how to maximise dps.
    First of all download simulationcraft, and run the tests with max iterations and every possible DPS setup (talentwise) and every setup for patchwerk, hectic etc.

Even though you can check the best players talentchoices you are better of actually checking your own sims. In some cases the talents you should choose to maximise your dps is different then what you should choose at later ilvls.

Secondly. If your sims is incredibly close (say 200 dps difference) go for whatever feels most comfortable. Test it all out on Raiding Dummys and see where you get closest to your sims. Remember that you won't ever get a "perfect" rotation in a hectic fight (brackenspore mythic etc) so whatever roation you are closest to perfecting is the one you will maximise your dps midraid with.

For this shaman i would recommend trying Elemental Mastery, Unleashed Fury and Storm Totem.
    Elemental Mastery has a better dps output then Echo (Barely) but its alot easier to manage your rotation with it.
    Unleashed Fury has a better dps output (realisticly) because it makes your rotation clunky, and it requires RNG to be amazing.
    Storm Totem is supereasy to use, and it sims very similar as Elemental Fusion. Just remember to have a Searing totem up at the same time.

Those talents arn't maximised dps potential, if you want maximised dps on singletarget you should go EM-UF-EF (Depending on gearscale lvl)
    But its easiest rotation i can come up with so it should boost his dps by quite alot.

Hope this is more helpfull then my first post.
    P.S Sorry about messy writing, english isn't my first language.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinte View Post
    consistently inconsistent

Take him to the side and explain that he is performing sub-par, plays like that aren't going to improve over night.

Woes of being a Raid Leader my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm inclined to think that a player who isn't willing to gem or enchant themselves isn't worth yours or anyone elses time since they'd appear to not even show the absolute minimum level of commitment and respect to their raid or guild. I'd have to say that Elemental shaman isn't the easiest spec around to push out high numbers and it certainly isn't one where you can get away with being subpar like you could on a hunter or a mage, somebody with a poor attitude who has put very little effort into their character will get exposed very quickly on an ele.

Deleted
    Attitude towards raiding is definitely a major issue, but not every guilds situation is the same. The guy might be really nice, but just not as dedicated as you'd like. If he repeatedly refuses to step up, then steps need to be taken, but at least trying first to help could prove most effective in the long run.

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=346/ele...emental-shaman

Tell him to read this, live by it, and love it. Stay away from Icy Veins as their stuff is subpar from what I've seen. www.totemspot.com and the above guide are the best places to start on how to play Ele sham.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, as another tip, use warcraft logs, not world of logs. The warcraft logs shows more and is easier to find out what you need to fix. Like is this guy prepotting or using pots at all? If not, he needs to. I use about 20 per raid if not more.

ALso, most of what everyone above me said it true. Get those enchants, go with multistrike across the board. If he's short on gold, go for shattered hand on the weapon, otherwise go frost wolf.

A lot of his gear isn't heroic+, which shows a lack of trying. Also there are no craftable items. He's a scribe, there is no reason why he shouldn't have the caster trinket from the cards.

This is my Ele Sham, and I pump out around 18-22k depending, more on some fights.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/Rovin/simple

My bracers are better than what he has on, but the chest and cloak need to be replaced ASAP. Both could be swapped out for crafted stuffs, as chest and cloak are two of the worst item slots for us. Min/Maxing our tier set, we don't need the chest. Also, chain run heroics, and work on garrison missions for item upgrades if anything else.
    Last edited by TheTieThatBinds; 2014-12-19 at 09:55 PM.
    Shaman PvP Theory
    - "that all sounds nice but i prefer the hide behind a rock and dps method, and if they target you, ghost wolf, and if they start attacking you, bend over and prepare yourself psychologically."
    -Thunderspike