Pet Battles - pet got upgraded to rare status after a trainer battle?

title says it all, I had a pet get upgraded to rare quality without a stone or any intervention.

Has anyone else had this happen?

No, I can't say it's happened to me. What lvl/rarity was the pet before and which trainer was it?

It was Cryme (spelling), was a nether dragon level 20
    I saw something pop up on screen but ignored it

10+ Year Old Account
    Related question.

I have a stone, but how do I use it? Does a pet need to be a certain level to upgrade to rare?

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Related question.

I have a stone, but how do I use it? Does a pet need to be a certain level to upgrade to rare?
    Summon the pet then right click the item and use it on the pet standing beside you.

Quote Originally Posted by middling View Post
    It was Cryme (spelling), was a nether dragon level 20
    I saw something pop up on screen but ignored it
    Did you check the Pet battle log? Maybe it can reveal something. Although if it was an hour it probably isn't there anymore...

Sorry I can't help much. Would be nice to know what caused it to upgrade like that. Perhaps Blizz is trying to implement a similar system the garrison followers have and it sort of slipped or something, but it sounds unlikely.

Can you use a stone on someone else's summoned pet? I've never tried. Unlikely as it may be, someone in the near vicinity may have been feeling charitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Can you use a stone on someone else's summoned pet? I've never tried. Unlikely as it may be, someone in the near vicinity may have been feeling charitable.
    No, you can't.