Windwalker DPS Maximization

Been meaning to make an account for a while as I use this forum for a lot of things regarding my Monk.

My post today is about my DPS, specifically on The Butcher.

I sadly have no logs (and I can have some posted later tonight, or Sunday when I raid with my guild) but checking Warcraftlogs Monk logs based on ilvl/gear and comparing myself to other players pulling insane amounts of bosses like Butcher I feel like I'm doing something wrong/could be playing my class to its full potential.

Exhibit A: Anarkz's logs from the 11th of December taking into account the recent 5% nerf to stance (which came into effect after this log was taken) he's still pulling significantly more than I could on my own Monk despite us both being the exact same ilvl. While I understand gear doesn't equal skill I'm still concerned I could be pulling well above my weight if these are the kind of numbers someone else in the same gear of the same spec can be pulling on the same fight.

I'm currently doing around 23-24k by the end of my guilds attempts on Heroic, which may still be acceptable I just can't get my head around how people such as Anarkz (and others) pull so much higher? after reviewing his event logs for abilities like TEB (since the correct use of this ability is crucial) I've noticed slight differences however nothing too out of the norm

(I can't post any logs as I'm currently too new of a member but you can checkout the ones I'm talking about by going to Warcraftlogs and switching it to Heroic - ilvl 648-662)

My questions are (without my own logs posted - FOR NOW -)

- Is raid size/composition a big factor? (He's running 30M, where as I run in a 12M)

- Is the use of TEB always prioritized to FOF over Serenity? and should I be waiting for trinket procs before using either FOF/SER in the case of me not having enough TEB stacks for when my trinkets do proc (as I tend to have 10+ stacks 20 odd seconds away from trinket procs)

- Is there a certain way I should be using my Chi brews?

Again, I'm sorry if this seems vague and that it'll be a lot harder giving me a decent assessment without my personal logs as I'm at work and don't have access to the game at the minute. However any input is appreciated.

Keep in mind that not all gear is equal even if its the same ilvl. Secondary stat optimization will matter heavily, as well as currently equipped trinkets, fight strategy, RNG to a degree, etc. If you have a piece with Vers/Mastery on it at 640 and someone else has the same 640 slot with MS/Haste they will gain a lot more out of the piece than you will.

-Raid size can make a very marginal difference on certain fights depending on what mechanics you use Karma on. Higher size = more damage = more likely to reach damage cap of Karma. Composition should have little effect on your raid unless you are missing an important buff such as AP for some reason, in which case it will have a large impact.

-TeB is a reactionary ability and should be used as such. There is no hard checklist of exact uses for it. Remember that until you cap on TeB stacks you are technically not losing any available dps. Getting comfortable with sitting on 10+ stacks without capping at most times to use for high damage output phases and procs will help you gain a lot. For instance if you have a Coin/icd trinket and its about to come off cd, sit on stacks to combine them for higher total gain. Putting off minor dps cooldowns a few seconds to line everything up for a Scales of Doom/Tiger Strikes/Lucky Coin/TeB FoF will also be a slightly difficult discipline to get into but will help your dps a lot.

-Chi Brew functions similarly to TeB. You should use both stacks in your opener to get the most possible burst, but after that its up to you and the situation on how you use them, as long as you dont let yourself reach two stacks/waste the resources gained from its use.

When you post logs Ill take a closer look and see if theres anything standing out

Quote Originally Posted by Arathirius View Post
    Keep in mind that not all gear is equal even if its the same ilvl. Secondary stat optimization will matter heavily, as well as currently equipped trinkets, fight strategy, RNG to a degree, etc. If you have a piece with Vers/Mastery on it at 640 and someone else has the same 640 slot with MS/Haste they will gain a lot more out of the piece than you will.

-Raid size can make a very marginal difference on certain fights depending on what mechanics you use Karma on. Higher size = more damage = more likely to reach damage cap of Karma. Composition should have little effect on your raid unless you are missing an important buff such as AP for some reason, in which case it will have a large impact.

-TeB is a reactionary ability and should be used as such. There is no hard checklist of exact uses for it. Remember that until you cap on TeB stacks you are technically not losing any available dps. Getting comfortable with sitting on 10+ stacks without capping at most times to use for high damage output phases and procs will help you gain a lot. For instance if you have a Coin/icd trinket and its about to come off cd, sit on stacks to combine them for higher total gain. Putting off minor dps cooldowns a few seconds to line everything up for a Scales of Doom/Tiger Strikes/Lucky Coin/TeB FoF will also be a slightly difficult discipline to get into but will help your dps a lot.

-Chi Brew functions similarly to TeB. You should use both stacks in your opener to get the most possible burst, but after that its up to you and the situation on how you use them, as long as you dont let yourself reach two stacks/waste the resources gained from its use.

When you post logs Ill take a closer look and see if theres anything standing out
    My character's name is Xhang in the guild Spoodermen on the server Frostmourne(US) if you'd like to evaluate my stat distribution.

I'll have those logs on tonight/tomorrow at the latest. Appreciate your time.

Gear is fine assuming that all choices were made intentionally based on the best gear available. Obviously the more you can go into MS/Haste the better but there isnt any abundance of mastery thats sticking out like a sore thumb. Post logs when you have them and Ill give you an analysis to work off of.

Quote Originally Posted by Arathirius View Post
    Gear is fine assuming that all choices were made intentionally based on the best gear available. Obviously the more you can go into MS/Haste the better but there isnt any abundance of mastery thats sticking out like a sore thumb. Post logs when you have them and Ill give you an analysis to work off of.
    All of my gear's been thought out, here's some logs from tonight.

wwwdotwarcraftlogs.com/reports/Vq67GMrNJzQLPcZ3/#fight=33&type=damage-done

I'm Xhang (as you know) I came in for Butcher onward.

Butcher analysis specifically would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Muldor View Post
    All of my gear's been thought out, here's some logs from tonight.

wwwdotwarcraftlogs.com/reports/Vq67GMrNJzQLPcZ3/#fight=33&type=damage-done

I'm Xhang (as you know) I came in for Butcher onward.

Butcher analysis specifically would be nice.
    Limited ability to browse atm, but watching the replay for butcher you roll in after the knockback and dont follow the leap, try trancending the knockback, replacing your spirit when you have a free gcd before the next knockback. Roll to chase the leap to ranged. Should get some more time on the boss overall.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2014-12-24 at 01:04 PM.