Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Evanesce Frustrations

Anyone else extremely frustrated from feeling like the rules are always changing with Evanesce? Mar'gok alone is an awful offender...

Novas: All but Displacement (P2) seem to be unblocked. P2 is blocked like 50% of the time, and the pushback is unblocked.
    Wrath: Blocks about 95% of the time; usually consistent but sometimes just refuses to block.
    Warmages: Blocks the spells about 50% of the time. Very inconsistent.

Never bothered to try blocking the adds exploding (because it's awkward to time), or Mark of Chaos (because I'm not an idiot standing close enough), but I'd be willing to bet they're either unblocked or only block some of the time. Never bothered to notice if it blocks the pulsing damage from the adds during the phases, usually because I'm too busy making sure it blocks the wrath >_>

Seriously, I just do not get Evanesce, and this is just ONE FIGHT. What's the point of it replacing Ice Block if it doesn't actually do anything most of the time? The only reason I ever use it is because I'm the designated Wrath player and it hits like a truck at 6 stacks in Heroic, and I don't use it on anything else for, well, obvious reasons (like it not doing its fucking job)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have used Evanesce in WoD only a couple of times countable by one hand, but it always worked.

Deleted
    Doing on Mythic and it has a tendency to fail. Alot. It's an amazing talent.

Deleted
    I used it for twins to avoid the fire, then i thought "Oh. Ice Floes".

I think the talent itself would be fine if we actually knew exactly how the fuck it works, it just seems so arbitrary (can't avoid the novas, but can avoid the twins fire? wat?)

I've found the same thing as you OP.

There are some thing that it does block, but it only seem to do so unreliably and not 100% of the time. Then there's a whole bunch of things that it should block but just doesn't for some reason.

If Blizz could either clarify how it works, or at least how it's supposed to work, then it'd be a lot easier to figure out when we should use it, if ever.

It works like hunter deterrence. Exact same effect. Why you would want to give up ice block and ice floes though......dunno.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TLTeo View Post
    I used it for twins to avoid the fire, then i thought "Oh. Ice Floes".

I think the talent itself would be fine if we actually knew exactly how the fuck it works, it just seems so arbitrary (can't avoid the novas, but can avoid the twins fire? wat?)
    Excatly how does it work for twins fire?
    I think I tried both.
    1. Popping it then running into fire. Still got stacks
    2. Run into fire, get stacks, then pop it. Didn't lose the stacks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    It works like hunter deterrence. Exact same effect. Why you would want to give up ice block and ice floes though......dunno.
    it doesnt. deterrence works 100% of the time. evanesce sometimes just doesnt work. bug? i dont know. maybe its intended for it to be shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was extremely excited for the talent when it was first made, and now I absolutely despise it. I have no true idea on what it will work on and what it won't, and as evidence in this thread and previous ones, there is conflicting reports about what it does and does not work on. Just a frustrating talent, Ice Floes is better DPS wise anyway so just go with that 99/100 times.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Quote Originally Posted by ralikonik View Post
    it doesnt. deterrence works 100% of the time. evanesce sometimes just doesnt work. bug? i dont know. maybe its intended for it to be shit.
    Yes, it does. it is the exact same effect as deterrance.

Deleted
    Yes, it does. it is the exact same effect as deterrance.
    i have tested it on Mar'gok several times. it just doesnt always evade the damage.

i have tested it on Mar'gok several times. it just doesnt always evade the damage.
    I'm not sure what to tell you. Celestalon confirmed it uses the exact same effect that deterrence uses. it could be bugged, but that is the effect that it is using to determine what it dodges / doesn't dodge.

Deleted
    I'm not sure what to tell you. Celestalon confirmed it uses the exact same effect that deterrence uses. it could be bugged, but that is the effect that it is using to determine what it dodges / doesn't dodge.
    thanks for the information. then im sure its bugged.

I've found Evanesce to require too much "precognition" to be useful. It lasts so short a time and with latency playing its part its difficult to leverage it efficiently for the short time it lasts. Ice Block is far superior IMO. It removes debuffs, renders you immune to most things for 10 seconds and can heal you with the glyph. While I am not happy that too many eggs are in that one basket due to the glyph Ice Block still seems to outshine Evanesce and the other talents are useable in addition to Ice Block rather than replacing it.

I use evanesce on margok as i soak all the wraths (blink + evanesce).

Can confirm i have blocked arcane wrath 100% of the time and mark of chaos 100% of the time (I often am standing in the tanks range when dropping debuff).
    Haven't used it to block anything else, force nova i blink all of them, add damage is irrelevant and will often be absorbed by disc shield.

Twins i've only tried it to absorb the pulverize damage, had no problems.
    Butcher i used it to absorb cleave damage had no problems.

Now, the main issue i have with it is that you need to sacrifice both Ice Block and Ice Flows in order to take it, this means the only fights i use it this tier are margok and butcher, margok only because i use it to soak the arcane wraths (tried on mythic twins prog but was too much of a dps loss).

Except it doesn't because Deterrence also blocks 30% (50% if glyphed) all incoming damage in case of failure, but yeah, you give up quite a lot for an ability that does nothing half the time.

I feel like Deterrence blocks a lot more things than Evanesce does. Could just be me, idk, but it's so annoying to have to gamble my life (and two good spells) for it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    thanks for the information. then im sure its bugged.
    Evanense only works if you're facing the ability you're trying to dodge. Not sure if it's intended, but this may explain some of the extremely arbitrary times for it working.

Deleted
    I tried it myself today, too. I was declared to pingpong the Arcane Wrath and as these Logs show, it did work only some time. So it must be bugged or something and isn't really reliable.

[21:23:17.671] Lhaza-Eredar gains Evanesce from Lhaza-Eredar
    [21:23:17.671] Lhaza-Eredar casts Evanesce
    [21:23:19.417] Imperator Mar'gok Arcane Wrath Lhaza-Eredar 105979 (A: 28954)
    [21:23:20.709] Lhaza-Eredar's Evanesce fades from Lhaza-Eredar
    Last edited by mmoc2637d7343c; 2014-12-21 at 09:20 PM.

That doesn't say anything about evanescence being bugged or not.

Deleted
    Well, it does say that it didnt work in that moment to protect me from Arcane Wrath. So at least we need some information when it works and when it doesnt. Or just dont use it at all and it will be a dead talent. But this would be quite sad in my opinion, because i would like to use it for stuff like Arcane Wrath.