Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    This is usually the problem with hot things. They go for "insanely hot" or "Super Tasty." There's almost no overlap
    I'll disagree. Take most Southeast Asian food. It's going to be a great balance of salty, sweet, savory, spicy, and sour. Balance being the key word.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I'll get snarky at restaurants because they don't trust my dragon tongue with my white skin. I'll say stuff like "dump the spice rack" or "as hot as you can physically make it" or "infinite stars". Unless I'm in the international district, I still can't find food that's spicy enough for my tastes
    I went to a thai restaurant and did this exact same thing and then questioned if I actually got what I ordered because it wasnt really that spicey. The manager didnt like that. After talking to some friends, come to find out they whip up all their sauces in the morning and later in the day thin it out to make it last and since I went in the evening....yeah

As a lover of spicy food and junk food, I've learned that snacks named after a pepper (jalepeno, habenero, ghost chili, etc.) are very seldom as spicy as eating fresh jalepenos.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Yeah those are good, warm, but I wouldn't say it's like chomping down on a fresh habanero pepper or anything.

If you want truly spicy, get your chips, or make your own, and make your own dust/seasoning with super hot pepper powder (super hot peppers being those that exceed 1 million SHU (scoville heat units.) That way you can add as much, or as little heat as you'd like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    lol. I was at a national chain restaurant a few days ago. Conversation went something like this:

Me: How hot is the "blazing sauce" for the wings?
    Bartender: ...we think Heinz ketchup is a spice.
    Me: Oh.

- - - Updated - - -

Do I want to... yeah why not.

Get fresh ghost peppers and raw nuts. Toast the nuts, store. Dry the ghost peppers. If you don't have a dehydrator, use the minimum temp on your oven. Use a spice grinder to make ghost pepper dust along with any other spices you're feeling. Make a thick syrup (just sugar and water). Toss the nuts in that, bake until just before burning the syrup. Toss with the ghost pepper dust and some salt. Blam.

(Eat with caution.)
    in place of a spice grinder could i use a mortar and pestule instead? alternatively i have some powdered spices i bought from the store. they aren't ghost peppers but they are spicy. (thai spice,birdseye chili powder, serraneo chilis.) i have dried ghost peppers but no spice grinder.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I've eaten tindaloo curry at a good Indian restaurant, I make my own sambal using Madame Jeanette which are peppers that are between 100k and 350k SHU, and despite being white i can eat those peppers raw.
    It earned me a pound of those peppers once as the shop owner didn't believe me when i asked if he had something hotter then jeanettes, as i was searching for Bhut jolokia to make a curry with of my own. He replied that jeanettes are very hot and even he wouldn't eat them like that. My responce "wanna bet i can eat one right now? if i do i get that bag of peppers for free, if i dont i pay extra" He agreed and I ended up eating one of those peppers as if it was a piece of fruit.

I haven't yet found food that i couldn't handle spicynes wise.

Sadly i haven't found any peppers above 350k SHU yet, but with the right treatment you can make sambal (Indonesian style pepper sauce) taste hotter then the peppers used for it, i'd gues my sambal is around 370k-400k SHU as it is hotter then the raw peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    in place of a spice grinder could i use a mortar and pestule instead? alternatively i have some powdered spices i bought from the store. they aren't ghost peppers but they are spicy. (thai spice,birdseye chili powder, serraneo chilis.) i have dried ghost peppers but no spice grinder.
    Sure on the mortar and pestal. I'd recommend a rough surfaced granite one. Or a coffee grinder. Use uncooked rice after in the coffee grinder to "clean" it.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Bdubs blazing challenge is a complete fucking joke. I didn't even have to drink anything afterwords and I ordered more food.

When I read ketchup is a spice I almost fell out of my chair.
    claiming ketchup as a spice should be punishable by a small fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Sure on the mortar and pestal. I'd recommend a rough surfaced granite one. Or a coffee grinder. Use uncooked rice after in the coffee grinder to "clean" it.
    i think the one i have is marble.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

i generally don't trust amazon reviews. do you have an opinion or did you just come here to post the obvious?
    They are the hottest chips ever. Un enjoyably hot.

Deleted
    It's not "spicy" if it has Scoville units. It's a nerve agent. It's not "spice". Hot, yes. Spicy, no. Wrong term to use.

Uncle Rays Hot chips are a good choice

They seem to mostly sell them in the ghetto here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Uncle Rays Hot chips are a good choice

They seem to mostly sell them in the ghetto here
    i LOVE uncle ray's hot chips. too bad they recently filed for chapter 11.

7+ Year Old Account
    Their hot sauces are pretty good so id say their chips would be fine. You really have to go by how much heat you like. Some people can barely eat a jalapeno and burst into flames, while others eat habaneros like they are nothing. The flavor stops coming through when you eat more than you can take. So really it is just a personal thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

Deleted
    i generally don't trust amazon reviews. do you have an opinion or did you just come here to post the obvious?
    Amazon reviewers are the same fcking people on this forum...honestly, you...ugh, aren't worth an infraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's not "spicy" if it has Scoville units. It's a nerve agent. It's not "spice". Hot, yes. Spicy, no. Wrong term to use.
    If we are going to get all technical and shit it's not really hot either.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    did you have anything useful to contribute or are you just going to play semantics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, yeah i bought them .. even from amazon in germany - they taste good & fresh, but not really that hot. If you like spicy food you can eat them without any problem.

if you like spicy and hot just eat straight chili peppers. When i was 15 we picked some from my garden and brought them to school and dared kids to eat them and i got expelled from school cause all 6 kids that ate them went to the ER.

Yes I actually have! in 2008 they were in a vending machine and somebody recomended them to me.

They are in indeed quite spicy! honestly it's been forever since I tried them - but I do distinctly remember them living up to their name, and that I did enjoy them!

I'm one who wants a balance of extreme heat + flavor, and those from what I remember hit the spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    This is usually the problem with hot things. They go for "insanely hot" or "Super Tasty." There's almost no overlap
    That's my big beef with spicy - I look for a balance between the two.

One of the chief reasons I like Louisiana Hot sauce as they hit that sweet spot of heat + flavor. Alternative for me is Franks hot sauce - but I only use that for popocorn and anything that substitutes tabasco

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    if you like spicy and hot just eat straight chili peppers. When i was 15 we picked some from my garden and brought them to school and dared kids to eat them and i got expelled from school cause all 6 kids that ate them went to the ER.
    i do eat straight chili peppers every now and then.