Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Best spec for challenge mode now? (DPS)

Has fury overtaken arms since the buff? If so I guess single minded fury is to prefer if you have the weps?

Cheers.

Arms for trash and glad for bosses. Do not kid yourself and think the difference between arms and prot isn't that big on bosses because it is. Being able to blow recklessness, ravager and bladestorm even tho you're right infront of a boss and then just respec to prot and have every cooldown back saves your group a ton of time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    Arms for trash and glad for bosses. Do not kid yourself and think the difference between arms and prot isn't that big on bosses because it is. Being able to blow recklessness, ravager and bladestorm even tho you're right infront of a boss and then just respec to prot and have every cooldown back saves your group a ton of time.
    Is it worth it even though I havent got pieces with bonus armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Carstenwb View Post
    Is it worth it even though I havent got pieces with bonus armor?
    Getting the gold times for with an inexperienced group isn't a breeze so I would suggest to first work on having appropriate gear. It shouldn't be very hard when the required item level only has to be 630.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    I disagree. (7/8 gold)
    Arms is really good on most bosses, and I'd say better than glad on some (cleave bosses like first grimrail depot boss, 2nd ubrs boss, etc).

It's true that arms doesnt really shine on a boss like skylord torva which is entirely single target. But trust me u gain a lot of dps in the exec phase (save a potion for it). And u also have rallying cry for group.

As arms I go from 27 to 39k overall dps (trash+boss, entire run). Its truely a monster dps spec in cms. Huge pulls can top 200k+ dps with 2 gcd. I doubt any spec in the game can beat it on trash except maybe enhance (but enhance is really awful on single target or 2 targets).

At start I tried to switch glad for bosses but I dont even bother with it anymore.
    Another example of single target boss : 1st everbloom boss. Save a potion for exec phase with the damage boost from boss, trust me you beat glad warrior easily.
    Last edited by mmoc4663f6f5a8; 2014-12-20 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamran View Post
    I disagree. (7/8 gold)
    Arms is really good on most bosses, and I'd say better than glad on some (cleave bosses like first grimrail depot boss, 2nd ubrs boss, etc).

It's true that arms doesnt really shine on a boss like skylord torva which is entirely single target. But trust me u gain a lot of dps in the exec phase (save a potion for it). And u also have rallying cry for group.

As arms I go from 27 to 39k overall dps (trash+boss, entire run). Its truely a monster dps spec in cms. Huge pulls can top 200k+ dps with 2 gcd. I doubt any spec in the game can beat it on trash except maybe enhance (but enhance is really awful on single target or 2 targets).

At start I tried to switch glad for bosses but I dont even bother with it anymore.
    Another example of single target boss : 1st everbloom boss. Save a potion for exec phase with the damage boost from boss, trust me you beat glad warrior easily.
    You completely missed the point. You switch specs because Gladiator's resolve dishes out very stable single target damage with no cooldowns so you can use everything you have as Arms on trash even if you're right in front of the boss. Even if you save recklessness for execute phase on a boss, it's still a 50/50 roll if that execute crits and when it doesn't you do very very mediocre damage and you don't have recklessness for another 3 minutes. With gladiator's resolve you _always_ perform well on bosses and can absolutely destroy every trash pack that could be considered even remotely scary.

Deleted
    Again I disagree, well its too bad I dont record my runs (neither save logs) but I can assure you arms is decent single damage in cm and by not changing spec each boss thats more than 30 seconds gained, because u must respec before and after each boss (would you gain those seconds by playing glad instead? I can't tell).
    Honestly I did try to switch glad for boss and the gained dps was really subpar, sometimes even lower than arms (I know how to play the spec as I ranked 96+percentile several times with it).

The only places where I would do it, its during rp events before bosses. That might do it, but Im not convinced. Arms do like 17-20k on single target bosses (taking exec phase into account, more like 14-15k without it), glad isnt really better, and it definitely doesnt have any execute power, which is very useful on some bosses like first grimrail boss.

Im not saying you're not going to be the last dps on st boss, but I dont think switching glad is worth it most of the time.

The realm first Golds on my server were done shortly after Method got their World Firsts and they used a Fury Warrior. That team no longer holds the server best times but still Fury is clearly pretty handy in CM's especially now that it has been buffed. Gladiator is decent for the single target bosses if you can afford time to respec before the pull, no real need for that tho. Any spec will do fine most likely, Arms probably tops it on trash.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by kamran View Post
    Again I disagree, well its too bad I dont record my runs (neither save logs) but I can assure you arms is decent single damage in cm and by not changing spec each boss thats more than 30 seconds gained, because u must respec before and after each boss (would you gain those seconds by playing glad instead? I can't tell).
    Honestly I did try to switch glad for boss and the gained dps was really subpar, sometimes even lower than arms (I know how to play the spec as I ranked 96+percentile several times with it).

The only places where I would do it, its during rp events before bosses. That might do it, but Im not convinced. Arms do like 17-20k on single target bosses (taking exec phase into account, more like 14-15k without it), glad isnt really better, and it definitely doesnt have any execute power, which is very useful on some bosses like first grimrail boss.

Im not saying you're not going to be the last dps on st boss, but I dont think switching glad is worth it most of the time.
    We're talking about two completely different things. Yes, with two or three execute crits arms does just fine on single target but the point is that in order to do so you do tons less damage right before and after the boss itself because you can't waste cooldowns. If you have a designated single target spec and a designated trash spec you do not have to think ahead at all. You just dish out as much damage as you can right then and there because the specs do not share any cooldowns at all.

If you know how to play both specs properly and have appropriate gear for them then it isn't just an opinion that using two specs is more beneficial, it's statistical fact.

Deleted
    well that would be statistical fact with some numbers to back it up, like logs (several of them).

I will stand to empirical fact and by my own experience I prefer to never respec during a cm run. By the way you don't need reck to do decent damage as arms, prepot ravager bladestorm trinket is more than enough. I usually keep reck for trash.

Maybe show me a log where u do that, and I'll show you one where i dont switch, and we'll see which one has the most overall damage

You're allowed to change specs in challenge mode? When I was doing them we couldn't even change talents.

You can change specc, but not talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevertrap View Post
    You're allowed to change specs in challenge mode? When I was doing them we couldn't even change talents.
    yup which in turn has lead to even bigger "cheating" people now run 2 specs with specific aoe glyphs/talents, then change "spec" to a single target one for bosses.

so you're essentially changing glyphs and talents anyway. blizzards fail really.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yup which in turn has lead to even bigger "cheating" people now run 2 specs with specific aoe glyphs/talents, then change "spec" to a single target one for bosses.

so you're essentially changing glyphs and talents anyway. blizzards fail really.
    What exactly is the problem with this? Gold times can be more tightly tuned and you actually feel that you're working towards something that isn't a complete pushover which is rather rare, especially in the 5 player format.

More often than not it requires you to master more than one spec which is healthy in a world where people seem to be convinced that having 20 max level characters shows far more mastery than playing one class well.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhope444 View Post
    people still do CM?
    People actually watched Xena?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Last time I checked it wasn't possible to change specs in challenge mode, how are you guys changing your specs while in a CM?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 16dots View Post
    Last time I checked it wasn't possible to change specs in challenge mode, how are you guys changing your specs while in a CM?
    You can't change talents or glyphs. But you can change specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Marza was doing this before they put the restriction on CMs because of that addon taint problem that wouldn't let people access their UI's functions correctly.

i'm honestly surprised that they even put a restriction on it when it's almost as fast to just change specs anyway

edit: also you can actually remove your glyphs during CM, but you can't apply them.