Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do Gamestop trade-ins work?

I was going to get a PS4 after the holidays and wanted to trade in my old PS3 + games I don't play anymore for Gamestop credit. Can I bring in my PS3 and a bunch of games for store credit or is there a certain dollar limit they won't let me exceed? According to their website I should be getting around $100 store credit but I have a feeling that it's not that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    You pay $60 for a game, beat it and get like $5 back from them then they resale it for $55.

Keep your games lol
    Last edited by Zonned; 2014-12-21 at 05:24 AM.

you would probably get more back just selling the games on amazon honestly the exchange rates are terrible at gamestop and it's only instore credit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonned View Post
    You pay $60 for a game, beat it and get like $5 back.

Keep your games lol
    5$ is being generous.

If you have a local gamestore I would go there. Where I live we have a 2nd and charles and they're a lot more generous in store credit AND they still accept older games like PS2 and gamecube stuff.

10+ Year Old Account

Keep your games lol
    its more like $20.

OP- go in and see what they offer

Better off ebaying them IMO.

Or just keeping them, which is what I do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    its more like $20.
    For a very popular title only a few years ago maybe?

I mean they have to on-sell these things, how much does your local gamestop sell old used games for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea go in and have them see what can offer, I turned in my ps3 during a special and all my games, walked out with a ps4, 2nd controller, and a game for about 100$
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

its more like $20.

Also they usually have deals of some sort. Things like trade in 2 games worth $10 or more and get one of the select new games for free. In fact, EBgames (Canadian Gamestop) here has a trade 5 games worth $8 or more and get a $100 gift card right now. They also have a trade in promo towards a PS4. You get $100 for your PS3 towards a PS4. So if you trade in 5 cheap games and an old PS3 you get $200 off your PS4.

Not sure if the states get these deals though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    its more like $20.

Not even close. I have brought multiple games and tried to trade them in the week they were released and they offered $18 each time and sold them for $50-$55.

They rip you off.

And then they turn around and make so much profits on the mark ups.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Not even close. I have brought multiple games and tried to trade them in the week they were released and they offered $18 each time and sold them for $50-$55.
    http://www.gamestop.com/trade#!/games shows trade in values on all the new games you saying you got 18$ on a brand new game is full of crap

Keep your games lol
    More like $44 gauranteed up to a month after the game was released. Combined with best buy's GCU you are basically getting cheap 1 month rentals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Read above. Your post is bullshit sorry. Every major release is a guaranteed $40 or $44 for PUR for 30 days.

7+ Year Old Account
    Near the fictional town of Nowhere, Kansas.
    I personally avoid GameStop like the plague.

They screw the players out in so many ways, it's really a wonder how they are still afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykko View Post
    I personally avoid GameStop like the plague.

They screw the players out in so many ways, it's really a wonder how they are still afloat.
    Gamestop really screwed me when I bought a few sets of Pokemon X/Y with B1G1 sale at Best Buy and then traded them all in for $28 a piece.

Yes it is a wonder how they operate when you can flip shit to them easier then you can on ebay, not because they "screw players".

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsav1 View Post
    http://www.gamestop.com/trade#!/games shows trade in values on all the new games you saying you got 18$ on a brand new game is full of crap
    Happened at least twice and this was 5ish years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Gamestop really screwed me when I bought a few sets of Pokemon X/Y with B1G1 sale at Best Buy and then traded them all in for $28 a piece.

Yes it is a wonder how they operate when you can flip shit to them easier then you can on ebay, not because they "screw players".
    Yea some of the deals are easy to get good returns hehe. When GTA 5 came out i traded in Pokemon Diamond and SoulSilver and got 50$ in credit from their deal.
    #JusticeForRucati
    PSN: Iskalla74, inv for Destiny if you need help

7+ Year Old Account
    Sold FF8, complete discs set, they gave me USD$8. Not too long later when I go back to see if they have a game I want, and I see it for $15. =\

I've seen returned / Used CoD games sell for $50, and bran new sell for $60. I wonder how many of those where traded in for less than 20$. I'm going to guess and say all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykko View Post
    Sold FF8, complete discs set, they gave me USD$8. Not too long later when I go back to see if they have a game I want, and I see it for $15. =\

I've seen returned / Used CoD games sell for $50, and bran new sell for $60. I wonder how many of those where traded in for less than 20$. I'm going to guess and say all of them.
    Just because you/other people don't know how to use offers gamestop has and trade shit in at base trade value doesn't mean they screw people.

If you're trading in anything to gamestop at base value without a promo you're doing it wrong.

And for the record the only CoD game that sells for over $50 used is AW, and it's value is over $22. If you traded it in before december 3rd it's value was $44 with their gauranteed $40 offer + PUR.

Not to mention Gamestop actually has high base values on games that are actually in demand and people care about. Hyrule Warriors still has a base value of $35 and it came out in September.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-12-21 at 03:01 AM.

I've only gotten low amounts (5-8$) for games that cost 20-25$. I usually get 30-35$ for popular 60$ games though I personally only trade in if its a game I absolutely hate...which isn't often. They aren't any worse than other places (best buy or local stores) where I live so iunno. Usually your best bet is to sell it yourself on ebay or such places.

The worst part about ebgames/gamestop isn't the deals but really the people who visit or work there. I remember one time some employee went on a huge rant how WoW sucks and GW2 is the best thing ever when all I wanted to do was buy a time card rofl.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2014-12-21 at 03:17 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ebay, Craigslist, hell, Pretty sure even some Pawn shops can get better deals than Game$top.

... Than there's GameFly, which is a total pyramid scheme...