Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Capcom announces "Project REsistance" aka Outbreak 3

So if you are one of the people signed up for RE.nets fan account/shill stuff you would have gotten an email linking to this:

A trailer going live on September 9th. But of course images have made their way out already:

Which seems consistent with the rumours that have been doing the rounds that Resident Evil 8 has been shelved in favour of a new "5 player asymmetrical multiplayer survival horror game". Which sounds an awful lot like Resident Evil Outbreak combined with Left 4 Deads versus mode where people could load in as a special infected.

Of course it could also be Umbrella Corps 2: even shittier edition, but two characters in the few images are looking enough like older modern updates of two characters assumed dead in Outbreak 2 but confirmed alive in RE7. Perhaps Its some GaaS who knows?

But multiplayer RE thats not some shitty action has been a long time coming since the days of the PS2. With Monster Hunter World being their biggest hit ever maybe they are seeing another multiplayer game as a way to repeat the formula after REmake 2's success?

10+ Year Old Account
    Capcom went crazy lately i see.

Megaman X Dive, which mobile game so whatever.

Next Megaman Zero / ZX Legacy Collection.

Now new RE? Maybe soon announcement of Megaman 12 / Megaman x9?

Crapcom finally purged the last of Inafunes "we need to make games that imitate call of duty for wider western appeal" bullshit and found a little of the Capgod era magic again.

10+ Year Old Account
    RE: Outbreak and Outbreak File #2 were my jam when I was a kid. Looking forward to it if it is indeed a third Outbreak game.

The Project REsistance placeholder page is now showing scanlines, just like Capcom did for the start screen and webpages for Outbreak and Outbreak File 2.

Meanwhile, at the Resident Evil Outbreak page: http://www.residenteviloutbreak.com/

Which if you didn't remember is exactly what happened to the Resident Evil 2 webpage the week before REmake 2 got announced. Its looking seriously like File #3 is actually happening after 15 years.

If done right then some more multiplayer Resident Evil would be pretty damn cool right now.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Though flawed in some regards, I adored the two Outbreak games. It was a lot of fun exploring Raccoon City from the perspective of civilians - and I hope this new game can capture the same vibe. Hopefully it doesn't do away with horror in favour of action.

Well this raises some questions. Can't tell when its set based on clothing or setting, a 5th party appears to be in control -literally controlling a T series Tyrant like Mr.X by the looks of it. Which really suggests the rumours of a asymmetrical 5 player game where one plays the monsters is legit.

yes its looks like a 4v1 monster/survivor gameplay type of thing

Cool, will part of the game be available immediately, while the other parts are downloadable only, with the code?

[I have not forgotten MegaMan X]

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really interested now. I wanted outbreak 3

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Not really interested now. I wanted outbreak 3
    Yeah, same. The trailer doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't tell me who the characters are. It doesn't tell me if there's a focus on telling a story. It just looks like a generic action game with some random, generic looking characters fighting whatever comes their way.

I hope I'm wrong. Capcom have been doing very well lately, though Outbreak had a certain atmosphere and charm to it that the trailer footage completely lacks.

"gameplay trailer" is out and boy is it a mixed bag:

For all of the teasing suggesting a direct outbreak style game, right down to messing with the outbreak page and releasing news on its anniversary it really does look a lot more like the rumour of a dead by daylight style assymetrical game only in a nice change to whats starting to become a bloated genre with lots of games in development this isn't just 'enemy is a op killer/monster against multiple people hiding from them but instead a 'zombie master' mode where you are watching through security cameras and spawning in traps and RE monsters with the odd chance to spawn as a playable Mr.X.
    On paper thats neat, probably a balancing nightmare but neat. Trouble is the presentation and UI down to little things like damage numbers is a bit off tonally. Giving more of the umbrella corps style 'C team' outsourcing vibe i was worried out.

But unlike the games they shit out to die its getting a series of beta tests so hopefully this means its open to tweaking because it could be an idea with legs, theres a fair few 1v4 games out or in the works but one that lets you spawn in stuff and change the level is a nice change of pace but if its done well is all up to capcom.

Given the extensive amount of characters and monsters in this franchise I would be really disappointed if there turns out to only be a handful of hero characters and the only playable monsters are random zombies and Mr. X.

Based on the Youtube comments, the reception seems to mostly be negative so far. Understandable, since the general sentiment seems to be a desire for a more faithful successor to the Outbreak games. We were always meant to get three of them, after all - but ended up only getting two.

I wonder what the chances are of seeing a proper successor to the Outbreak games?

I wanted a Outbreak 3 (like many others) but this seems interesting so ill give it a shot.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Never played the outbreak games, I'm interested in co-op multiplayer games, is this more like L4D?

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Never played the outbreak games, I'm interested in co-op multiplayer games, is this more like L4D?
    Based on the gameplay trailer. It looks like the 4 player part will be close to L4D but there will be 1 player summoning shit to try to kill you.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Based on the gameplay trailer. It looks like the 4 player part will be close to L4D but there will be 1 player summoning shit to try to kill you.
    I could get behind that, with the wealth of characters and monsters available it could be fun. I felt like L4D could have had that kind of mode itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Based on the Youtube comments, the reception seems to mostly be negative so far. Understandable, since the general sentiment seems to be a desire for a more faithful successor to the Outbreak games. We were always meant to get three of them, after all - but ended up only getting two.

I wonder what the chances are of seeing a proper successor to the Outbreak games?
    I think Umbrella Corps really burnt people hard. We've had middle of the road RE spin offs since Gun Survivor but Umbrella Corps "we want tha eeeee sports" ethos and dogshit design quality really, really made people wary.