High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

T17 Protection Warrior Ranking

Hello, everyone. I am looking to have my logs evaluated by other Prot warriors in order to see where I can improve my performance. I'm quite happy with my damage intake, but notice that there are some ranking prot warriors who are pulling much, much more DPS than I am. Naturally, my goal as a tank is to mitigate or avoid as much incoming damage as possible. That being said, if I can maintain significantly more DPS than I currently am while also staying alive, it is certainly something I'm interested in looking into.

Here are the logs from a Heroic Butcher kill I tanked: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken

Of course, I'm the Prot warrior. (Sidenote: That damage taken balance between the two tanks, though. Beautiful.)

- - - Updated - - -

364 views and no replies? I'm inclined to think one of two possibilities:

1) I am so fantastic at my class that my performance needs no tweaking.
    2) I am so horrible at my class that, upon reviewing my logs, all have lost any hope of assisting me in any way.

Deleted
    Here is the list of all Butcher fights that have a prot warrior in them.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...-abilities.NaN

Audrey
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...done&source=25
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../audrey/simple

His Shield Slam is way higher. He is running HR your are running SD. But his ilvl is way higher aswell. He is using Execute without having SD. Which is questionable if damage taken is an issue.

I think you are doing pretty well.

If you really want to neatpick on things :

You had 20 Sudden Death procs but did 18 Execute.

You did 10 Thunder claps, which are never useful in a single-target rotation since Weakened blows no longer exists and Devastate applies Deep Wounds.

Shattered Hand is shit. Get Blackrock. You'll often have the +500 BA on Butcher which is directly translated into both mitigation AND dps.

Assuming you didn't have your 670 butcher weapon on those logs (since you seem to have gotten it a few days ago), I'd say you had probably had a 630/640 weapon, which in this case 14k DPS was pretty good since warriors are not really good at that as of now.

81% uptime on Enrage. You only used Berserker Rage 3 times. That's bad for both rage generation and Enrage uptime if you want to use it for that purpose (more DPS). On a 4:49 fight, there should have been at least 6+ uses if you want to keep it for that use. (Looking at the logs there's at least 2 times where it should have been used (including the pull where you probably were rage-starved since you spent a lot of time not Enraged = never critted Devastate/Shield Slame, less rage).

Otherwise those are very decent logs.

Deleted
    Im one of the people who viewed and didnt post till now.
    Maybe I'm just not in on where prot warriors are now days but it seems as though theres few people playing them who want to talk about playing them. I'm in a similar boat my dps as a prot is bad (probably even by prot standards) and I have no idea having read all the information available and having looked at top prot warrior dps logs what exactly is wrong.

I switched to unyielding strikes and it seems at 665 ilvl even if i spam heroic strike every possible time without using shield block once against butcher for example i can only hit 16 - 18k dps.
    The sticky seems to be pretty useless aswell.

Kortiah summed it up nicely. You did good damage for your item level. You had 17 wasted globals in Thunderclap and impending victory for damage purposes. The rest comes down to procs

But 14k is good for 649 imo. I ranked at 657 ilvl with 17.1k dps in the low 100s. Little more gear and not wasting globals and you will rank too.

15+ Year Old Account

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortiah View Post
    If you really want to neatpick on things :

You had 20 Sudden Death procs but did 18 Execute.

You did 10 Thunder claps, which are never useful in a single-target rotation since Weakened blows no longer exists and Devastate applies Deep Wounds.

Shattered Hand is shit. Get Blackrock. You'll often have the +500 BA on Butcher which is directly translated into both mitigation AND dps.

Assuming you didn't have your 670 butcher weapon on those logs (since you seem to have gotten it a few days ago), I'd say you had probably had a 630/640 weapon, which in this case 14k DPS was pretty good since warriors are not really good at that as of now.

81% uptime on Enrage. You only used Berserker Rage 3 times. That's bad for both rage generation and Enrage uptime if you want to use it for that purpose (more DPS). On a 4:49 fight, there should have been at least 6+ uses if you want to keep it for that use. (Looking at the logs there's at least 2 times where it should have been used (including the pull where you probably were rage-starved since you spent a lot of time not Enraged = never critted Devastate/Shield Slame, less rage).

Otherwise those are very decent logs.
    I really appreciate the feedback, and appreciate the rigorous "nitpicking." Out of curiosity, when do you all recommend using Enraged Regeneration? Aside from the initial pull, that is. Do you tend to use it anytime it is up and you are not enraged? If so, I'll probably just find a WA for Enrage. I'll absolutely work on my Thunder Clap usage; frankly, I use it on single-target purely by force of habit.

One thing I noticed is that my Shield Block uptime was higher than many other prot warriors on this fight. I maintained a 52.20% uptime, while others seemed to have lower uptimes, and instead spent the rage on HS. Is there anything inherently wrong in prioritizing active mitigation uptimes over damage done, or should I work to find a better medium than what I'm currently maintaining? Thanks again.

Erm, is that even possible? SB duration 6sec, CD 12 sec => 50% uptime max.
    Last edited by Revellion; 2014-12-23 at 12:27 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revellion View Post

CD reset through Devastate.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    CD reset through Devastate.
    Devastate has a chance to reset Shield Slam's CD - not Shield Block.

I wish SB cd resets through devastate....

You can get slightly more than 50% depending on timing because you start the fight with all charges off CD.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As far as how I am getting an uptime on my Shield Block that is >50%, here is what I've come up with:

My Haste: 5.82%
    Shield Block Cooldown: 12s

12s X0.0582 = 0.6984 second reduction
    12s-0.6984s = 11.3016 second Shield Block CD

Shield Block Duration = 6s

6/11.3016 = 0.5308 -> ~53.1% possible uptime on Shield Block, given my current Haste rating. Ideally, this number would be lower, as I'd love to not have this much haste on my gear.

Edit: All of this math being said, I don't at all remember hearing of Shield Block being affected by Haste, so this is probably one of those rare cases of a pure mathematical coincidence. :P
    Last edited by Cosmophile; 2014-12-23 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmophile View Post
    when do you all recommend using Enraged Regeneration?
    I assume you're talking Berserker Rage and not Enraged Regeneration (same Talent tier than Impendous Victory). Generally I tend to keep it for when I find myself rage starved and have a hole in my cooldowns (typically, something like have < 40 rage, no Demo/Wall available).

It starts with 2 charges, so yes.
    But I don't think maintaining Shield Block uptime as high as possible is the best you can do on Butcher, or any fight really. It depends on the damage you're taking, as always (Magical/DoT/not blockable). I tend to mostly use SBarrier when offtanking Butcher, since I find a lot of the cleave damage aren't blockable and I spare the Block charges for when I'll be actually tanking Butcher. I hover around 35% uptime on Butcher, whereas I have about 45% on Twins since you're almost always taking hits (except during Quake/Pulverize, hence the < 50%).
    Last edited by Kortiah; 2014-12-23 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    As far as how I am getting an uptime on my Shield Block that is >50%, here is what I've come up with:

My Haste: 5.82%
    Shield Block Cooldown: 12s

12s X0.0582 = 0.6984 second reduction
    12s-0.6984s = 11.3016 second Shield Block CD

Shield Block Duration = 6s

6/11.3016 = 0.5308 -> ~53.1% possible uptime on Shield Block, given my current Haste rating. Ideally, this number would be lower, as I'd love to not have this much haste on my gear.

Edit: All of this math being said, I don't at all remember hearing of Shield Block being affected by Haste, so this is probably one of those rare cases of a pure mathematical coincidence. :P
    I thought only Shield Slam and Thunder Clap were affected?

It's actually because of the 2-charge stuff. If you started with 1 charge (assuming enough rage), it would be exactly 50%, this just adds another SB on top.
    23*6/22*12 = 0.5227..., sounds about right.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortiah View Post
    I assume you're talking Berserker Rage and not Enraged Regeneration (same Talent tier than Impendous Victory). Generally I tend to keep it for when I find myself rage starved and have a hole in my cooldowns (typically, something like have < 40 rage, no Demo/Wall available).
    Yep! Definitely meant Berserker Rage. Sorry about that, and thanks for the tips.

Devastate has a chance to reset Shield Slam's CD - not Shield Block.
    Hah, dunno how I messed up those two abilities. Guess I'll wear the dunce hat for now.

2 changes theory looks legit