Deleted

WoW/LoL on laptop(740m/840m GPU).

Hey guys, decided to buy a laptop that can run a few games, like WoW/LoL, my budget is not that high(arround 500E, and i will be buying the laptop from Romania or maybe UK). i was looking at laptops that come with nvidia 740M or 840M, will they be able to run WoW @ medium-high settings? maybe someone with a laptop can give me some information, thanks.

Hi, I've played WoW on a laptop for a long time, had both good and bad experiences. My previous system which was fine was:

Clevo P180HM, single Geforce GTX 560M, 8GB ram, standard sandy bridge 2630qm i7 chip (from memory).

I did a slight upgrade recently:
    Sager NP6165 with a i7-3630QM and GT 650M.

Both machines have 1920x1080 screens.

I would describe "medium high" as how I run. I turn some stuff down in raids (like shadows).

From what I read, a 740M and I guess even an 840M seems a bit under what I'm using now. Wouldn't it be nice if you could directly compare NVidia's own chips by number? Heh. I think it would work, but if I was buying something new I'd definitely want more future proofing.

The other thing to be very careful for in laptops is heat and throttling. Some, especially thinner machines are poorly designed and can't dissipate their heat very well, and will throttle due to the heat over time. I do usually use a "lap desk", to provide a good surface for airflow under the laptop. If you play sitting at a table that works too (I usually sit on the couch). Just make sure you check reviews from actual gamers before buying.

I mean, with your budget that sounds about what you're looking at, and it will work, but maybe not great or for a years. But be sure that's going to work for you for as long as you need it to, otherwise maybe save a bit more.

I have had good experience with Clevo-based laptops, notably from Sager. To a point, you also get what you pay for. I paid extra for a nicer screen (the 18" had a pretty bad screen even though it was big, the 6165 has MUCH brighter, better viewing angles). Also think about matte vs glossy screen, because it makes a huge difference depending on where you typically use them. Other things like CPU are important especially in WoW. I don't think I'd consider under an i5. I prefer an i7 because I also do work on the same machine.

Another thing to consider with a laptop is will you be using the built in keyboard? If so, you better like it. I usually use a gaming keyboard on top of the laptop's keyboard.

Finally with a laptop, there is a good bit of risk especially if you haven't had one before, of breaking stuff. Dropping it, tripping over cables and breaking the jacks off the motherboard, cracking the screen, having it stolen, etc. I never expect to get more than 2 years out of one. But that means after 2 years you're in bonus points territory, and I got 3 (and it still works fine) from the p180hm.

good luck!