Shard of Nothing for Disc

Well I just lucked into a MWF Shard of Nothing from my raid mission. I was hoping for something a bit more healer specific, but the amount of Int on the trinket is making try and ponder this scenario. Traditionally I've considered haste pretty bad for Disc, and this tier I've been prioritizing Crit, Mastery and Multistrike as the stats I favor in the itemization poor world we live in. I googled some theorycraft on the trinket for the disc spec and couldn't find much.

I've been using the Everburning Candle and the Winged Hourglass. When we killed the twins this week I was at like 60% mana at the end of the fight so I figure I can drop some regen for throughput. I can't raid for two weeks because of holiday related activities, but I'm so excited to get to testing this trinket out. I was wondering if any of you guys had knowledge that would crush my hopes and dreams... or maybe hopefully bring me joy?

I use it and I really like it. You can get ~60% Haste with PI and BT for 1s PW:S. Sync it with PI + AA for maximum gains (admittedly, a portion of that Haste is wasted, but you maximize the mana savings of PI), and just spam the hell outta your spells for that duration. Or, you can just alternate between PI and the trinket to optimize the Haste buff from both.

That being said, I would stick with the Everburning Candle if you find yourself still running out of mana. I haven't had any issues with mana with this trinket though!
    Last edited by ceddya; 2014-12-21 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddya View Post
    I use it and I really like it. You can get ~60% Haste with PI and BT for 1s PW:S. Sync it with PI + AA for maximum gains (admittedly, a portion of that Haste is wasted, but you maximize the mana savings of PI), and just spam the hell outta your spells for that duration. Or, you can just alternate between PI and the trinket to optimize the Haste buff from both.

That being said, I would stick with the Everburning Candle if you find yourself still running out of mana. I haven't had any issues with mana with this trinket though!
    Well I would drop the 640 Winged Hourglass long before the everburning candle, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shuffled View Post
    Well I just lucked into a MWF Shard of Nothing from my raid mission. I was hoping for something a bit more healer specific, but the amount of Int on the trinket is making try and ponder this scenario. Traditionally I've considered haste pretty bad for Disc, and this tier I've been prioritizing Crit, Mastery and Multistrike as the stats I favor in the itemization poor world we live in. I googled some theorycraft on the trinket for the disc spec and couldn't find much.

I've been using the Everburning Candle and the Winged Hourglass. When we killed the twins this week I was at like 60% mana at the end of the fight so I figure I can drop some regen for throughput. I can't raid for two weeks because of holiday related activities, but I'm so excited to get to testing this trinket out. I was wondering if any of you guys had knowledge that would crush my hopes and dreams... or maybe hopefully bring me joy?
    You should not at all consider haste pretty bad for disc. With borrowed time, haste is point for point not much worse than mastery in a vacuum where every PWS going out gets used (~68 mastery being +1% absorb healing and ~71 haste being +1% healing). The reason we don't stack it is exactly because of mana sustainability issues. But if you are ending fights with more than enough mana, haste is totally good for the soul.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ceddya View Post
    I use it and I really like it. You can get ~60% Haste with PI and BT for 1s PW:S.
    You might consider dropping a bit of haste at this point, though, as the GCD cap is 1s GCD at 50% haste. Considering disc's healing breakdown being mostly PWS, that extra 10% haste is more or less wasted stats during PI and heroism. I haven't done the math, but I'd bet the total combined uptime of PI and heroism is enough to devalue haste significantly past the point where you are at 50% with PI or hero.
    Last edited by Placebro; 2014-12-21 at 05:43 PM.

What Placebro said is right, and it discussed it at length here on the thread entitled "disc stat weights" as well as making some rather lengthy remarks about it on the main disc thread (although i cant blame you for not trawling through that shitfest of debate and speculation to find the few rough gems of info there).

Basically put, haste is theoretically one of our top stats, but it's not easy to measure because its not a straightfoward translation from x rating to x throughput (like mastery and versatility, and to a lesser extent, crit and multi). Whether its our best throughput stat or our second best or thrid best is irrelevant, point is that it's actually quiet good. However, it increases mana consumption at essentially the same rate that it increases output, because more spell casts = more mana spent. However, as a proc, especially a rating proc that will be affected by BT, it can be quiet good, and if you're comefortable with mana anyway, its definitely a good option. Furthermore, the other options for trinkets this tier are just aweful, so if you've got candle and dont feel like you need hourglass, i'd say shards is our best option this tier.

- - - Updated - - -

OH and furthermore, people get sidetracked talking about secondaries, since gems and enchants and food don't have primaries, but int is still our best throughput, especially early on, and it's really noticible when you get that extra chunk from those overbudget trinkets. I remember noticing how much my PWS's jumped after i got candle.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered