Picking a video card to reactivate WoW

Long story short left PC gaming for a while after my last PC shit the bed I just lost interest...

Building a new PC because the expansion looks like fun.
    So far I have:::
    Asus Maximus VII Formula motherboard
    Intel I7-4790k
    16GB 2400mhz DDR3 GSKill Tridents
    2x Samsung 240GB 850 PRO SSD's (for raid)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
    1050w ThermalTake DPS-G PSU

So I spent a little more on some stuff then I probably should of (PSU,MB,RAM)...
    Now I'm on a tight budget to finish the system.
    I plan on either getting the

Asus vg248qe x3 (surround)
    or the
    Asus pg278q (ROG Swift)

I wanna try out nVidia 3d vision (please leave feedback for WoW in 3d).
    My question is if I get the 1080p panel will GTX970 drive 3d or raids in general well?
    Same apply for the 1440p panel, is the 970 enough?
    I'm having a rough time deciding what I want to spend, on is 24" the other is 27"..
    I could save some money and get 1x970 now and get another 970 later for SLI and going surround but I wonder if I might need 980 SLI..

10+ Year Old Account
    From what people have been saying, raids will still be CPU bottlenecked, not as much as it was but still there.

2400MHz ram is most likely 1.65V which is not recommended for Haswell CPU, sure you can stick it in and it'd probably downclock itself.
    I'd go with: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-...31866c10d16gsr

SSD is a bit overkill. I personally would just go with a single 512GB Crucial MX100. Unless you're doing some crazy stuff with needed write speed, you'll notice absolutely no difference.

PSU I'd go with something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasoni...supply-ss750km
    Granted the DPS-G series isn't supposedly bad. It's a CWT OEM, and usually their high ends are decent but low end not so much. Take that as what you will.

Monitor, if you're going to pick either of the two, I'd go with PG278Q. VG248QE is not a great monitor, other than it's cheap I guess. Personally I would get one of these instead.
    BenQ GW2765HT: AUO AHVA
    Eizo EV2450: LG IPS
    Dell U2414H: LG IPS
    Eizo FS2434: LG IPS it's an 8bit+FRC.
    High Hz
    Eizo FG2421: Sharp MVA.
    BenQ XL2420Z: AUO TN.
    of course there's Asus PG278Q.
    Now there's an issue with PG278Q that pcmonitors.info have mentioned is the pixel walking, which is caused by the voltage switching from + / - not done properly.
    Whether you care about that is a different thing.
    There's another issue with it, and not so much a problem with the monitor, so much as being able to even run 2560x1440 at 144Hz. In WoW or any other MMO, you're more likely to hit a CPU bottleneck in which even getting higher than 40-50FPS in CPU intensive tasks is going to be hard.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-12-21 at 10:49 PM.

I appreciate the advice but I already bought all the listed hardware. From what overclock.net says the ROG motherboard a bought supports the 2400mhz DDR3 well even though anything past the 1866mhz you listed is basically a wash, although it's worth mentioning I bout the 2400mhz for basically the same price as the snipers you listed. Suffice to say I knew the PSU was overkill but it had very very good reviews and was 35% off at the time I bought it. The SSD's I bought 50% off as-well for some fun factor of running them in raid and checking out the new 3d arch.

The only other panel I considered on that list is the XL2420Z. I've already narrowed it down to either of the Asus monitors.
    Again I appreciate the response however, you did everything buy answer my questions..

I'm looking for feedback on using the 970 for 3d 1440p soloing and obviously 1440p raiding. Would it be better to just gt a 980 now, vs a 970 now and another 970 later. And if the 970 will be enough for even 1080p 3d gaming or if SLI will be required. I know the CPU will bottle neck (prays for DX12). If anyone has any recent first hand advice on 3d wow gaming that is cool to.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is still not a demanding game for the GPU. A 970 is really overkill but yea it's just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sWaZi sKunK View Post
    I appreciate the advice but I already bought all the listed hardware.
    970 will be fine. For most of WoW, the bottleneck will be the CPU anyway.

Honestly, if it were me, and I know you weren't asking about the other parts... I would return almost all of it. You honestly spent WAY too much money on stuff that won't really benefit you. If it's not an option, then it is what it is, but if you're interested in saving a chunk of money, let us know. 35% off $200 is still $70 more than you should have reasonably paid, for example.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Everyone keeps saying that! Haha.
    I know I overspent, but I used to be an enthusiast and buying cool hardware for no reason is kind of a thing for me. I bought the M7F for all the features and the bling factor, and I'm going to make a Pump->GPU->240mm Rad->Chipset->120mm Rad->CPU->360mm Rad waterloop so overkill is kinda the theme LOL. Atleast I didnt get one of those new Extreme CPU's and a X99 chipset. The 1050w is going to have some staying power in my system, I mostly bought it for the price I thought it would be nice to have around for a while and it had good ratings and reviews, but the Digital monitoring kinda did it for me I like naks like that. The 850 Pro's color matched all my hardware and what not so yeah I bought 2 of them

I went with the 4790k and Z97 ROG board with the intention of overclocking the CPU enough that the bottleneck wouldn't be AS formidable compared to the GPU. I know I could of gone with a i5 and 1866 and got basically the same FPS but I do video and photo editing as well as other things too. Normally I fould just buy a flagship card, but the price of the 970 Strix is wayyy to appealing to not consider

Quick answer you wanted: 970 is fine for WoW.

Otherwise echoing most of the other stuff said with a minor caveat that some people play more games than wow so maybe the slight/major overkill on hardware is an investment
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2014-12-22 at 01:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Money is not a concern just go 980 then , there is like nothing to consider as you've already overspent on stuff that won't make a meaningful difference. I assume you're not just playing WoW or will be the last game you ever play with this system.

Well most of the hardware I got was a $40-$60 step-up from the norm. The 970 vs 980 is a couple hundred so there is that. These are the 2 cards I'm looking at
    970: Asus GTX 970 Strix
    980: Asus GTX 980 ROG Poseidon
    Won't let me post links

I'm going to end up playing other games too. Dragon Age looks good, Shadow of Mordor looks good, Tomb Raider looks pretty good, DOTA definitely looks cool, D2. But the main thing is WoW in 3d. Has anyone raided in 3d? I think that 3D takes 2x the frame rate, but say my CPU is bottle-necking 50 FPS is a raid; will running 3d take me down to 25fps or will that processing be done by the GPU so I will still be getting around 50fps if the GPU isn't bottle necked