Deleted

is destruction prefered

looking at what peps talking about i can see most saying how you go a) demo or b) affliction as offspec. does that mean all are destruction as main spec?

The specs are supposedly very close together, so play what you're best at or are most comfortable with. Destro's the easiest to play.

I'm Affliction for the majority of fights, Destro offspec and then Demo for Tectus so I guess the answer to your question is no.

Deleted
    Destro has the upper hand on Bracken and Imperator thanks to the Havoc potential. Demo has the upper hand on Twins thanks to multi dotting and mobility, and Tectus as Demo has arguably the best AoE out of the 3. Didn't really play Affliction seriously this tier, so can't say much.
    So yeah, all 3 are relatively equal at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction seems to be what most people are indeed rolling with (clearly seen from Warcraftlogs too, where you have much more destruction parses than of two other specs combined).

I just think it's SoO aftermath where everyone was Destruction and some were Affliction, old habits die hard. Lately people are more open to going Demo/Aff, since Destruction is no longer omnipotent, but still old habits die hard.

I personally also prefer destruction, since I simply like it's gameplay more and I love Havoc, Shadowburn and Chaos Bolt as a spells. I try demonology a bit (I was demo in WoTLK and Cata after all, but since Meta was changed from it's uber cooldown form, I like it less) and I don't like affliction.

Besides, Destruction is still the best all around spec, IMO, sure Demo owns Tectus and Affliction rocks Twins, but in most other fights Destruction is good to great, with Tectus being the only encounter where it's simply outright bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Destruction seems to be what most people are indeed rolling with (clearly seen from Warcraftlogs too, where you have much more destruction parses than of two other specs combined).
    This is because Destro often yields the best results for the average player because the spec itself has very little complexity.

As for whether it's the 'best', well, the fights are so varied in style it's impossible to say. It's always been a jack-of-all trades spec and it's still the same; no matter what fight it's going to do alright. There are some unique fights where the other two specs have the potential to be a lot stronger in the right hands though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furtylol View Post
    This is because Destro often yields the best results for the average player because the spec itself has very little complexity.
    I find that statement to be untrue. It has an illusion of simplicity, but in reality it requires skill to do good, especially now that we are no longer swimming in embers and no longer can run around while derping incinerate or AoE at will.

There are so many bad destruction players that it's staggering, I am pretty convinced that much of our "warcraftlogs" woes come from the fact that many 5.4 heroes can't play WoD destruction to save their lives.

I mean, in my own guild we have 4 warlock raiders and 2 of them are almost perma-benched as Destruction, because they simply can't play it even if their lives would depend on it and it shows, with the 2 other warlocks out-DPSing them by almost literally two times in any occasion with a very close ilvl.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2014-12-22 at 10:36 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction is a very simple spec. If you think otherwise you're disillusion.

The ONLY 'skill' in Destruction comes from effectively using Havoc.
    Last edited by Zevoa; 2014-12-22 at 10:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't have a "main spec" right now.

Deleted
    The reality of the situation is that the only thing you need to keep in mind as destro is Havoc, and casting Chaos Bolt when it's buffed. That's about as deep as the spec goes, it's not complex at all.
    If one Destro pulls more DPS than the other, while equally geared, it only means that the other warlock doesn't grasp the simple concept of Ember management and Havoc.

The other reason why most people are Destro, i think, is because at the very beginning of WoD, Destro was plain better - it had better single target, aoe and cleave dps than the other 2 specs, so people geared up for it asap. Then RoF nerf and Affli/Demo buffs came which made all 3 specs relatively equal, so people just generally decided to stick to Destro instead of re-gearing completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I find that statement to be untrue. It has an illusion of simplicity, but in reality it requires skill to do good, especially now that we are no longer swimming in embers and no longer can run around while derping incinerate or AoE at will.

There are so many bad destruction players that it's staggering, I am pretty convinced that much of our "warcraftlogs" woes come from the fact that many 5.4 heroes can't play WoD destruction to save their lives.

I mean, in my own guild we have 4 warlock raiders and 2 of them are almost perma-benched as Destruction, because they simply can't play it even if their lives would depend on it and it shows, with the 2 other warlocks out-DPSing them by almost literally two times in any occasion with a very close ilvl.
    That has very little to do with the spec. I imagine you put those same two players on any class and they will do poorly.

I just want more buttons to push, a second DoT or cooldown and a random proc would feel nice, maybe some extra Embergen too.

Maybe doing something with Havoc so it has an effect if you shoot the Havocced target would work.

And which spec is complicated? :P
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Each spec has niches for different bosses in the current content. At the end of the day the best spec is the one which you can execute the rotation best.

At higher gear levels I think you'll see larger separation in performances but now they are all really close.
    Last edited by The-loon; 2014-12-22 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevoa View Post
    Destruction is a very simple spec. If you think otherwise you're disillusion.

The ONLY 'skill' in Destruction comes from effectively using Havoc.
    I will say to just play destro it is very easy, now to play destro well is alot harder then you make it sound. There is about a 5k diffrence in the quality of our warlocks in are raid group who have similar gear. Now im not trying to make it seem like there some complex unique class but i would like to know what crazy class you play that is just crazy hard to play?

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragons View Post
    I will say to just play destro it is very easy, now to play destro well is alot harder then you make it sound. There is about a 5k diffrence in the quality of our warlocks in are raid group who have similar gear. Now im not trying to make it seem like there some complex unique class but i would like to know what crazy class you play that is just crazy hard to play?
    Playing a spec to an elite level is difficult regardless of how simplistic the rotation is.

That said playing Demo at the 99th percentile is different than playing Destro at the 99th percentile.

Quote Originally Posted by The-loon View Post
    That said playing Demo at the 99th percentile
    Keep in mind that the number of Demo parses is about 1/10th that of Destro :P

Deleted
    destro all the way, both affli and demo are pretty boring and less forgiving, but play what you like its not like the dps difference is more than 10% anyway