Deleted

Buying new monitor to solely play WoW

Hey there,
    I am currently upgrading my pc piece by piece, finishing with new monitor. I don't play FPS, I actually play mostly WoW (from time to time other cRpgs like The Witcher) but I am also a big movie buff, (I watch them on my pc). Now I have a TFT screen, which is just horrible for watching movies away from any other angle than right up front. I've read a lot about gaming monitors and finally decided to buy either Asus VG248QE (144hz, TN) or Dell UltraSharp U2412M (60hz, IPS). My questions are:

1. How important, if at all, is refresh rate important for Wow?
    2. Does it matter if I choose IPS or TN panel for gaming RPGs and mmorpgs?
    3. How bad, if at all, is TN for watching movies? (Asking about angles and color differences compared to IPS panel)
    4. Overall, mostly for gaming but secondary for watching movies on pc, which screen would you guys recommend?
    5. Maybe there is some other great monitor I didn't take into consideration and you guys would recommend?

Would like to buy something with 24 inches and full hd, gonna wait on 27s until they get better resolution/prices (also not sure if they ar not to big for gaming). Other than that, going for best possible purchase.
    Thanks a lot for any constructive input.

Deleted
    IPS, hands down. I would go with either of these:

Dell U2414H (I realize you're not in the US) || Review
    Dell P2414H (Both are about the same quality but different connections if it matetrs to you) || Review

IPS is superior tech to TN especially with your needs (WoW, movies etc.) - If you're doing serious raiding with 20+ you're not going to be anywhere near 100+ FPS anyways.

Deleted
    Thank you very much for your input. Would you explain to me:
    1. How important and why are the connections ( I assume we're talking about DVI, HDMI etc.)
    2. Why do you think the monitors you recommended are superior to Dell UltraSharp U2412M?
    3. Finally, both of the monitors that you recommended are available to me. Which one is the best (for my needs, of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Wampir View Post
    1. How important and why are the connections ( I assume we're talking about DVI, HDMI etc.)
    Playing at 1080p it won't matter much. HDMI can carry sound if that's a thing for you. I would go Displayport tbh, they fit well, and seeing as those screens don't have built-in speakers HDMI won't do you much good anyways
    2. Why do you think the monitors you recommended are superior to Dell UltraSharp U2412M?
    The ones he recommended are running at 1920x1080 whilst the U2412M runs at 1920x1200, which isn't all that standard anymore(16:10 aspect ratio) But other than that, not alot of difference.

3. Finally, both of the monitors that you recommended are available to me. Which one is the best (for my needs, of course)?
    Dell U2414H, simply because the fact of 2x HDMI + 2x Displayport is so much superior than having 1 DVI 1 VGA and 1 DisplayPort

And also to add to your question about 27" being to big, it's really not when it comes to WoW, it's lovely. I'm using a 34" and loving the extra vision I get + all games that can run at 3440x1440 look astonishing to say the least Best of luck with choosing your screen

Deleted
    Thanks for all the help, if anything else will come to your mind please let me know

- - - Updated - - -

What would you guys recommend in the 27inch family?

10+ Year Old Account
    BenQ GW2765HT.
    It's 2560x1440, costs $400. Great cost per performance for the screen size. It's an AHVA panel which is the AUO equivalent of an LG IPS.
    It's an 8bit+FRC (sort of 10bit output) which is great for color accuracy and smoother gradients in games.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gw2765ht
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm

It lacks some convenience things like USB ports. Not sure how much you care about that.

Deleted
    Nothing for 1080p, simply too few pixels for that size in my opinion.

For 2560x1440 I'd look at something like the BenQ in my signature, it's probably around twice the price of 1080p and takes a bit more power to drive in games.

Edit: What Remilia said

Has anyone tried the ROG Swift with G-Sync enabled in raids? I'm thinking when the FPS drops down to 30-60 the g-sync is going to be a life saver

Deleted
    Since the 27 inch monitor seems a lot more demanding in 2560x1440, does it require stronger pc setup (CPU, graphic card, etc.)? The price of the monitor is already twice as high as 1080p (at least in Poland), wondering if it will be worth it to invest all that much more in the monitor plus stronger cpu+graphic card setup. We're of course talking about 20+ raiding. Thank you all very much for taking part in this disscussion, learning a lot new information here.

- - - Updated - - -

To speed things up, this will be my compilation for new monitor:
    Motherboard GA-Z77-UD3H
    CPU Intel Core i5-3570k LGA 1155
    Graphic Card AMD Radeon 7800
    Ram Goodram (solid, polish company) 8gb DDR3
    Kingston SSD 120gb hard drive

Deleted
    Finally I went for BenQ GW2765HT alonh with i5 4690k and ga g1 gaming gtx 970. Just wanted to thank you all for help, it was worth every penny, the difference is amazing