Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is simply no way to bring it to 500+.
    As far as I know, you can still go to Timeless and grab free gear from chests. That should get you close enough for the quests you go through at the start of WoD to put you over.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The worst part of this expansion dungeon experience for me is the high required item level for WoD dungeons (500) and the lack of corresponding gear vendor, as in Cata and MoP. When you enter Draenor you have about 420, and few items obtained in the intro and the following Blasted lands quests brings it to about 470. There is simply no way to bring it to 500+.
    Do you think that is a grave oversight too?
    I personally found there was no gateway to HC dungeons, and for those who had an issue, there are normals to gear in first. If your issue is normal then you simply have not quested remotely near enough to be accepted into a normal in the first place, because quest gear will get you there without issue. Which brings me to my next point for HC entry:

Nagrand will have you almost 610 at best, maybe with a few lucky epic upgrades from rolls. Look for rare mobs they can drop 620 gear too. You can get very quick pvp gear from Ashran to fill in some slots, missions will give some gear eventually also. Crafting has plenty of choice and if desperate, AH a piece or two. Apexis gear is quite cheap to buy from the Stormshield vendor.

Tanaan intro items are already 500+ ilvl so it really shouldn't take you longer than SMV to meet the requirement. People will never be satisfied unless Blizzard just rewards them with BIS mythic gear simply for logging in to the game.

Don't like natural progression? Deal with it or play a different game that better suits your needs for instant gratification.

The worst part of this expansion dungeon experience for me is the high required item level for WoD dungeons (500) and the lack of corresponding gear vendor, as in Cata and MoP. When you enter Draenor you have about 420, and few items obtained in the intro and the following Blasted lands quests brings it to about 470. There is simply no way to bring it to 500+.
    No, not being able to get into the dungeons without questing is not an oversight. It's a design decision. As far as design decision go it's nothing interesting.

Just DO THE QUESTS 'till you get to 500+. PROBLEM SOLVED.
    Alternatively you can buy 640 BOE profession epixx and wear them @lvl 91 (you get to lvl 91 by DOING THE QUESTS)

Deleted
    Dear OP

Judging by you 1500+ posts on this forum, you are not new to World of Warcraft. It is not the first time you level a toon.

It seems though, that in your desperate need of atention, you have been able to find a small problem with the new expansion, that literrally 0,0000001 % of the players MIGHT have. And this player will fix this by reaching lvl 91, that is 1-2 hours of play... I am sure, that deep down you know, that this problem, doesnt even apply to you.

So, once again, for the cheap seats - Bravo - you have made a post about absolutely nothing, to get random people to express opinions, on something of no importance. Bravo....
    Last edited by mmocd344c38da9; 2014-12-22 at 11:49 AM.

Deleted
    Oh wow, lol.

I'm pretty sure this is intended so boosted characters are forced to play the class for at least 2 levels before inflicting themselves on others.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcount View Post
    um what?! you should not be doing dungeons to level... theres so much in the world to explore and enjoy, do quest like they intended you to.
    Dungeons were intented to level, they have been since TBC. Not sure what makes you think otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Invalid complaint, Nagrand (which you're supposed to do) equips you even into Heroic ilvl, letting you skip Normals completely (if you get a few Warmill procs). At the very least it will get you well into 605-610.

People are bad, and having good gear won't make them better. The addition of ilvl req hasn't made any difference to my dungeoneering experience whatsoever. The only thing I've noticed is random players getting worse and worse because the casual content keeps getting easier and easier.

Deleted
    There is a catch up mechanic it's called "spend 10 minutes running around the timeless isles"

If you are actually 420 that would mean you haven't been to the timeless isle, which also means you won't have looted any of the big one time spawn chests which drop at least 2 epic pieces each and one of which near ordos has a guaranteed upgrade token in it to boost one of those epics from 496 to 525

OR you could just do the first few quests which you need to do anyway to unlock your crafting profs past 600

Quote Originally Posted by Inval1d View Post
    Tanaan intro items are already 500+ ilvl so it really shouldn't take you longer than SMV to meet the requirement.
    There is only 4 Tanaan items and 4 Blasted Lands items, this is too few to reach 500.

I am pretty sure if you get the treasures you can easily have a high enough item level to enter the dungeons. Also you are not "catching up" anything. It is the first tier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Congrats Blizz. Everyone who wanted a Vanilla realm will get it with WoD. So much for never moving backward. Though, it will not be a pure vanilla server since you can still fly in the old content, and you don't have to farm things just to raid. Just wanted to congratulate Blizz for giving the folks what they wanted, a classic vanilla world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Or, maybe instead of making a strawman, they could just get a lvl 1 pony after they complete a quest in the starting zone

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Dungeons were intented to level, they have been since TBC. Not sure what makes you think otherwise.
    The fact that Blizzard nerfed mob xp and that hey were always just meant to supplement leveling through quests. That players use solely dungeon runs to get xp is not an indication that this is the design intention of the developer.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

i think the main problem is that in past expansion u had green gear vendors in 1st zone where u could buy catch up gear for really neglected alts - this expansion i couldnt find one - its not a super terrible problem but the moment u go in frostfire in 430 itlv even with mythic looms questing becomes quite chelenging untill u get +/1 500 itlv and it takes u at least untill the end of frostifre to get those itlvs. lvling expeirence on 570 and 430 is really very different and i assume thats why some people dont like lack of catch up gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    this is a pointless whine. before you hit 91, you will have quested enough to replace almost every item if you were that low. they arent going to give you a whole set in a matter of 5 minutes. First world problems.
    it actually takes u geting to 92-93 if u started around 430. (tested it on my mage which went into frostfire with 440 and exited it with 520 on 93 lv after compelting all quests in frostfire.the itlv was boosted by mythic loom too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post

1. Many people are accurately estimating dungeon exp, as in it is less than questing unless you are all quite geared and speed running, which as you yourself later point out - is rarely the case.
    it may be a bit less but then u lv your 10th alt via quests its kinda boooring like hell -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    There is a catch up mechanic it's called "spend 10 minutes running around the timeless isles"
    have u been to timless isle lately ? with how dead that zone is going there on 400 itlv alt is a really bad idea unless u really like your repair bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The fact that Blizzard nerfed mob xp and that hey were always just meant to supplement leveling through quests. That players use solely dungeon runs to get xp is not an indication that this is the design intention of the developer.
    xp in dungeons has been buffed week or 2 into expansion - if ur have rested and using xp pots from garrison u can geasily get 200k+ exp from 1 dungeon.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2014-12-22 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    i think the main problem is that in past expansion u had green gear vendors in 1st zone where u could buy catch up gear for really neglected alts - this expansion i couldnt find one - its not a super terrible problem but the moment u go in frostfire in 430 itlv even with mythic looms questing becomes quite chelenging untill u get +/1 500 itlv and it takes u at least untill the end of frostifre to get those itlvs. lvling expeirence on 570 and 430 is really very different and i assume thats why some people dont like lack of catch up gear.
    Farm on the TI a bit if it's such a huge issue, or buy some MoP VP-items (Now buyable with gold) to crank up the ol' itemlevel

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst part of this expansion dungeon experience for me is the high required item level for WoD dungeons (500)...
    At first I thought perhaps the OP meant 600 instead of 500 but then realized he meant taking a quested lv 90 straight from Mists to WoD. Which meant that a) he did not use a boost to 90 (which would have given him 489 gear) or b) did any TI farming on any prior mains (or other alts) since that gear defaults at 496 (or 535 with Burdens) or c) did any sort of Mists LFR (which would have yielded around 528 for a complete set of SoO LFR gear).

In which case, other posters are correct, level to 91 and there's the chance to buy (and equip) up to three 640 ilv gear. Add in the 4~8 pieces of 500 ish gear, and you should be well on your way to reach the minimum ilv required for dungeons. Although technically, isn't the first dungeon rated for characters lv 90-92? If so, there shouldn't be a problem entering that dungeon (Bloodmaul Slag Mines, I think) closer to the end of 92.

TBH, I really didn't see a need to run dungeons until Spires of Aarak (Skyreach) for ilv 600 gear which mostly got replaced by the time I was in Nagrand. Also quick note, War Mill/Dwarven Bunker is your friend as the increase chance for upgraded quality gear is really good.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Deleted
    The design decision was to make tanaan and your garrison mandatory questlines. Once youve done those you have ~500 Ilvl. Tanaan gives you legs, chest, shoulders, head and 2 weapons. All 505ilvl. Then you should be close enough to the mark, if youre not, then you can run around and kill some relevent rares, do some quests, or buy crafted gear.

They did buff the rep from dungeons, but its still fairly weak for levelling, with rares and treasures giving the same exp as a quest, and quests being so much better designed this expac, I havent even bothered to try levelling in dungeons, but if you get the inn as one of your garrison buildings, you also get a daily dungeon quest, that rewards gear, toys, mats, consumables.

The 640 epics are for lvl91, upgrade to 670 and still for lvl91.
    Also wtf enter draenor on 420~ ilvl. I had 570+ on any char that I played in MoP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cebel View Post
    Nagrand quests get you well over the 500 ilvl threshold, especially if you have a warmill.
    I think he is talking about the actual leveling up experience. Nagrand, if done properly, should give you above 600 ilvl, not 500.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    The 640 epics are for lvl91, upgrade to 670 and still for lvl91.
    Also wtf enter draenor on 420~ ilvl. I had 570+ on any char that I played in MoP.
    A lot of people came back in WoD that didnt play much if at all in MoP

Deleted
    My DK, which I haven't played since the beginning of MoP, got ilevel 500 just by questing until the point I finished my Garrison and liberated Bladespire Fortress. Then, I just killed a few Frostridge rares that had proper plate gear for him. I didn't even had to move to the second zone...