Page 1 of 2
LastLast

1v1 vs feral/dk? (Yes, game isn't balanced around duels)

No need to post about doing 3v3 instead or 'it can't be done, reroll.'

If you were going to duel or world pvp this xpac, what specs/glyphs are you taking? I've been trying to make affliction work, even doing crazy stuff like using SacPact for the 300k+ shield, then summoning a pet right after for damage, but I just can't out damage feral/dk heals because I can't get into my full rotation. I seem never to get any drain lifes off if I spec into that with glyph. I've noticed that though destro's damage sucks and has no fel flame, however, it seems that its the only one that if you get locked from fire, you can at least cast fear. But, I haven't really tried much with it.

If you are doing well, what spec, glyphs, and general strategy are you doing against healing melees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bend over and take it like a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    This should be the new class description when you're rolling a Warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    this. I was farming sumptuous fur as destro when a 300k+ health feral druid attacked me. After realizing I couldn't take him below 80% health I just stopped bothering and let him get his free honor.

This isn't a warlock issue.

The only classes that really have a good shot of 1v1ing a ret paladin, DK, or feral are one of the above classes. Self-healing and/or mitigation with the combination of extremely powerful burst on the above specs simply outclasses every other class in the game for the purposes of dueling.

On the plus side, we are probably one of if not the most powerful DPS in 3s. I know it sucks to hear, but for PvP, just be glad we have such insane strength with Affli in the actual competitive bracket currently.

Best dueling spec is demonology imo, you have to go with grim of service for a second pet because it offers much flexibility in your gameplay. With proper glyph/talent management you can take on any class 1v1, but arenas are another story...

Yeah, you can win as demo, mostly thanks to pet stun > mortal coil.

Have to say, so far in random bgs,

I find feral dps druids a joke, I even forget to fear any class most of the time and just rely on shadow fury, and 9/10 they go down.

Hunters and Dks on the otherhand I avoid like the plague

Rets and windwalkers, all Ive seen is either really shit ones or really awesome ones

Rest of the class's are on par, well what IVe fought anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanus View Post
    Best dueling spec is demonology imo, you have to go with grim of service for a second pet because it offers much flexibility in your gameplay. With proper glyph/talent management you can take on any class 1v1, but arenas are another story...
    I also find demo strong in 1v1 against melee but ferals might be the hardest of them if they have the gear and play their class well. Snare from HoG (glyphed) or CW won't help and leap+portal doesn't give you much time or hopes of escape. You have to make good use of your stun(s)/mortal coil (and blood horror if you have that) and hope it's enough. If you are low on fury it's going to rough, they will probably burst you down before you can generate enough to do good damage.

destro with charred remains and searing flames, unbeatable

By the way, if anyone thinks they can consistently beat a feral druid and play alliance side, watch Sodapoppin's stream.

He offers a 3k buy-in for duels, with you getting 9k if you win.

Deleted
    don't really see the logic balancing pvp around 3v3 in most cases world pvp bg you end up 1v1 and if your not a dk/ret pala and you'r facing a self healing class like a druid and others you most likely will loose, this would make sense if arena and rated bg would make out the majority of the pvp population but they don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bitteren002 View Post
    don't really see the logic balancing pvp around 3v3 in most cases world pvp bg you end up 1v1 and if your not a dk/ret pala and you'r facing a self healing class like a druid and others you most likely will loose, this would make sense if arena and rated bg would make out the majority of the pvp population but they don't.
    Because 3v3 is the only real competitive bracket. RBGs aren't very popular and the other two rated brackets aren't well suited to competitive play. World PvP doesn't happen that often and it's also difficult to balance because a lot of the advantage comes from getting the drop on someone, not the classes themselves. Also battlegrounds are objective based so if you're fighting 1v1 you're likely doing it wrong in most cases.

I like how some people say to just avoid certain classes or hope your opponent sucks. Why even play a class in pvp if you are going to do that? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    destro with charred remains and searing flames, unbeatable
    Of all the things I have tried, this one seems to be the most true. It's sort of the the remnant of MoP's healing and seems to be the only spec that can outlast other self healers in 1v1. Also another good thing for destro, is that fire/shadow are separate lock outs, where as other specs aren't. Kinda sucks to stand in one spot the whole time though. One thing different from charred remains is I'm glyphing Ember Tap combined with Searing flames. That almost triples the original heal over 10 sec. Also, lvl 100 row, I don't see any other talent besides DS. Catacylsm hits for one chaos bolt, don't see the need for it, and I can't find any good use for charred remains in pvp. You can't put out any damage other wise.

However, to continue with mindset Harpocrates, are you running Supremacy? (why not Demonic servitude also?) GoSac seems so nerfed this expansion considering 20% of a spell that hits for 7k on a target is only 9k lol. Your pet alone can do around 7k hits. So that row seems like GoSup is by far the best? One more thing, Sac Pact or Soul Link? They seem even in the numbers, but can't quite tell of the actual mechanics of pvp make one better or not? (for 1v1) Anything else crazy you are doing?
    Last edited by JellyRollzz; 2014-12-24 at 07:11 PM.

for 1v1 I would go with suprem or even Goserv...I run with an "Ashran spec" that helps keep me alive and whenever i come across someone 1v1 I never lose, even to aff locks. In ashran I use GoSac because well, pets die in those big battles. But if it's straight 1v1 you are better off with a pet. Glyph of ember would also be good vs dot classes but I really like the burst healing of not glyphing it. If you are going with a pet you can probly do best iwth sacPact but again for my ashran spec I use dark bargain since I am usually not using a pet. As for GoSac being nerfed, it's more so for the extra damage on CB (also extra defensive cd if you sac a vw). You never really kill anyone with incinerate or conflag especially with this setup. Your main damage is getting those chaosbolts off with immo/incin/conflag to build embers as quick as possible.

The best thing about this setup is you have a choice, to do damage or outheal your targets damage. Where as without this spec you are basically just racing to kill each other.

my glyphs are strenghtened resolve, conflag and siphon life [not much but a good 3rd option]
    talents are searing flames, sfury, dark bargain, blood horror, gosac, kjc, charred remains

and like I said that's my main ashran spec cause I am grinding Warlord of Draenor here, replace certain talents/glyphs if you are gona use a pet for straight 1v1
    Last edited by Harpocrates; 2014-12-25 at 01:42 AM.

Deleted
    1. Go Destro
    2. Spec into Searing Flames, Shadowfury, Blood Horror, Sac Pact, GoSac, Charred Remains
    3. Get both Stamina PvP trinkets = 400k+ HP
    4. Glyph Ember Tap and Dark Soul
    5. Keep up Ember Tap with your endless amount of Embers

This makes you basically unkillable. Your damage will be next to nothing outside of your burst windows but you will survive easily. Key is to Sac the pet because then Sac Pact uses your own hit points as a base, which are way higher than your pet's hit points, especially with the stamina trinkets. It also increases your burst damage by 20%. Ember Tap heals for like 80.000 HP over 10 seconds, Sac Pact should be something like 200.000+ HP every 60 seconds (can't remember the exact number), Healthstone another 80.000 or so every fight.

Burst strategy is something like that:
    - get initial CC with Blood Horror -> Dark Soul -> Chaos Bolt -> Fear -> Chaos Bolt -> Shadow Fury -> Chaos Bolt, maybe fit in a Conflagrate somewhere
    - enemy trinket will break the first burst sequence, but you can do it once every minute (Blood Horror and Dark Soul CD) and trinket is 2 minutes CD

Ferals are not THAT scary imo. Their damage and healing is strong, but their mitigation is quite weak, same goes for Ret Paladins. Don't even try to duel DKs though. They won't kill you, but you won't kill them either, endless thing. But in the end they don't balance for duels.

You can also try it with Demonology. It works quite similar but is harder to do because Demonology healing depends on Drain Life and shadow lockout hurt you more. Other than that its similar. You do low damage high healing as much as possible while waiting for Demonic Fury. Once every minute (Dark Soul CD) you can go burst mode with Demon Form and Doombolts. Stunlock is longer for Demo because you can combine pet stun with Mortal Coil.
    Last edited by mmoc576a872d3e; 2015-01-05 at 02:55 PM.

You're a warlock, just slightly better than elem shaman at 1v1, so just get bend over to any melee class.

Besides didn't you get used to sucking balls at 1v1 by now? How long did you say you played your warlock?

You can add: Rogue, Disc Priest, Feral Druid, and pretty much every other class 1v1. (affliction)

Deleted
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#zowtIz-faz

dot -> drain life 15mins. enjoy fun gameplay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dondogshiat View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#zowtIz-faz

dot -> drain life 15mins. enjoy fun gameplay
    Vs feral they would to have to be a vegetable to ever let you get a full cast off.