View Poll Results: Nickelback bigger than Elvis?

Voters
276. This poll is closed
  • Yes

49 17.75%
  • No

227 82.25%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Some might say the biggest band ever.

some might say drinking bleach is part of a healthy lifestyle. Some people say silly things.
    Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Yes they could do it, but it's not particularly likely.
    Yeah, that's what I mean, it will be interesting to see if it's possible that is for sure, Linkin Park is pretty big too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    some might say drinking bleach is part of a healthy lifestyle. Some people say silly things.
    Well have you ever listened to their songs, people buy their albums concerts also sell out pretty fast.

Deleted
    Some might say the biggest band ever.
    Uhm no.

Lots of people haven't even heard of nickelback.

Everybody has heard of Elvis.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They still sell well around the world, and you have to remember YouTube and distribution has changed, to get that kind of penetration, in sales is tough, not accounting for digital downloads either.

But based on Albums sold, they could do it in the next 10 years.
    You actually bring up a great point. It's just such a shame you are trying to use Nickelback to make that argument.

You still have to count Elvis' youtube hits, digital downloads, usage in film and advertising, cover. He might be dead, but hes still popular today.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like I accidentally logged into MMO-Champion in 2002.

I didn't realise Nickelback still existed since they did that spiderman song 12+ years ago. This must be an American thing.

No. I admit I liked their first album okay at the time. But now every time I hear a 'new' song from there, I swear it's one that's been out for years because they all sound so alike. They aren't the worst band by any means, but IMO, they are far and away the most overrated rock band out there right now.

Elvis was *huge*. He still is huge, and he's been dead for 37 years. People claim that they see Elvis and that he is still alive on a daily basis all these years later. His stuff is timeless, and while he is one of many, so much of Rock and Roll has roots in his music and what he did for the industry. Oh, and he can actually sing.

As far as sales go, my quick google search estimates Elvis has sold roughly one *billion* albums worldwide. Nickleback has sold about 50 million. Oh, and the Beatles have outsold Nickelback this century in the US and it's been over 40 years since they've had an album, and that's not including albums they've also done as solo artists. To be fair, buying albums isn't what it used to be due to digital downloads and youtube, etc, but that people *are* buying albums for older artists speaks volumes of their work.

Will Nickelback be remembered as 'that 2,000s band'? Probably. But...that's not saying a lot, given their competition. But I don't think you'll have people actually wishing they were born 50 years earlier so they could have seen Nickelback live in their prime.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2014-12-23 at 12:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elvis sold 134 Million and he was a 42 when he died, his first album dropped in 56, and his last album was in the late 70s, if you consider his death probably has a lot to do with his sales, I say Nickelback has a chance they are at 23 million right now.
    Let me give you another feat....
    Led Zeppelin, album Physical Graffiti
    The album sold 15 mio times before it even hit the shelves.. From pre-orders alone.

Nickelback has no chance to break into the records chart tops anymore.
    For once they are really not at the top at all. Not even close.
    And the times of records selling are over.
    Artists make their money through other ways nowadays, not through record sales. Look at U2's current album. They've given it away for free.

Today an artist can get into the top 10 with a whooping measly 30,000 copies sold per week. That's how dramatic it declined...
    In the 70s/80s they sold millions in weeks time.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Fair play to that ugly lead man, hes steamrolled Avril Lavigne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmomaths View Post
    Uhm no.

Lots of people haven't even heard of nickelback.

Everybody has heard of Elvis.

Smaller world when Elvis started also, and his legacy has been around a long time. Before Nickelback was born, I am trying to keep it fair

Wow this question is random. You could replace Nickelback with pretty much any other singer/band and the answer would still be "no". Just with Nickelback it is definitely a more emphasized "no" than with others.

You know, in Germany we had a band called Tokyo Hotel a few years ago. Everyone was crazy over them and compared them to the beatles repeatedly. They vanished after 2 or 3 albums only to be seen as judges on "Deutschland sucht den Superstar", Germany's version of American Idol a few years later (which is kinda hilarious, because in their most popular song the singer sounded like something between a wailing girl and a whale (pun intended), but definitely not a like a professional male singer). Haven't really heard anything else about them for years. (P.s. Oh, checking Wikipedia I just saw that after five years they actually published a new album this October. Who knew?)
    Nickelback is pretty much the same thing, exept that Chad Kroeger is better looking and actually can sing, but the songs are very commercial and you hear it.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2014-12-22 at 11:00 PM.

What's a Nickelback?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    You actually bring up a great point. It's just such a shame you are trying to use Nickelback to make that argument.

You still have to count Elvis' youtube hits, digital downloads, usage in film and advertising, cover. He might be dead, but hes still popular today.

Oh No doubt, but I am trying to compare them side by side with as little inconsistencies as possible. I think the world has changed, what was once gold became platinum, what is platinum might become diamond at some point.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why is everyone discussing their sales? We're talking about bigger here. Elvis was a fat man, there's simply no way, unless one of them gets super depressed and balloons to like 300+lbs.

Oh No doubt, but I am trying to compare them side by side with as little inconsistencies as possible. I think the world has changed, what was once gold became platinum, what is platinum might become diamond at some point.
    Are you implying that we'll have Master and Grand Master albums, dominated by Koreans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What's a Nickelback?
    It is a purse in which you carry your pocket change.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know any songs from Nickelback. Maybe I will recognize some when I hear them in the fashion of "Oh I heard that before". But in the meantime I can think of some Elvis songs although he died more than a decade before Iwas born.

Completely different dimensions of beeing "big".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Let me give you another feat....
    Led Zeppelin, album Physical Graffiti
    The album sold 15 mio times before it even hit the shelves.. From pre-orders alone.

Nickelback has no chance to break into the records chart tops anymore.
    For once they are really not at the top at all. Not even close.
    And the times of records selling are over.
    Artists make their money through other ways nowadays, not through record sales. Look at U2's current album. They've given it away for free.

Today an artist can get into the top 10 with a whooping measly 30,000 copies sold per week. That's how dramatic it declined...
    In the 70s/80s they sold millions in weeks time.

True, but you have to judge them side by side, and account for the times they were around and the years played, I mean even Vanilla Ice when played now days, probably still gets people going "OH I remember this song" so times change.

But I get your point, I am just saying given the same number of years, accounting for all the variables, could it be done, Nickelbacks still very strong in sales!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    Wow this question is random. You could replace Nickelback with pretty much any other singer/band and the answer would still be "no". Just with Nickelback it is definitely a more emphasized "no" than with others.

You know, in Germany we had a band called Tokyo Hotel a few years ago. Everyone was crazy over them and compared them to the beatles repeatedly. They vanished after 2 or 3 albums only to be seen as judges on "Deutschland sucht den Superstar", Germany's version of American Idol a few years later (which is kinda hilarious, because in their most popular song the singer sounded like something between a wailing girl and a whale (pun intended), but definitely not a like a professional male singer). Haven't really heard anything else about them for years. (P.s. Oh, checking Wikipedia I just saw that after five years they actually published a new album this October. Who knew?)
    Nickelback is pretty much the same thing, exept that Chad Kroeger is better looking and actually can sing, but the songs are very commercial and you hear it.

You make some great points, but have you seen Nickelbacks catalog, they have a library now than even 10 years from now covers and remixes being done could push them ahead in sales.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Why is everyone discussing their sales? We're talking about bigger here. Elvis was a fat man, there's simply no way, unless one of them gets super depressed and balloons to like 300+lbs.

Are you implying that we'll have Master and Grand Master albums, dominated by Koreans?

LOL I mean, record sales and fan following.

im here to post some dank ass memes

lol nickelback is le bad!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Who the fuck has ever said Nickelback is the biggest band ever?

Generations to come will know about Elvis. Nickelback will soon be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    I feel like I accidentally logged into MMO-Champion in 2002.

I didn't realise Nickelback still existed since they did that spiderman song 12+ years ago. This must be an American thing.
    Last time they've had a little more exposure than usual was when the WWE took one of their songs for their Monday Night Raw franchise as theme song for a couple years.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdYzVxp_-rk

It's ranked number 10 with the WWE fan in crowd...
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ontages/page/9
    The comment on the page makes me laugh.. lol
    Nickelback's "Burn it to the Ground" has been the theme song since 2010. As lame as many folks think Nickelback is, this is a fitting, energetic song that sticks in your head.
    Since 2012 the Raw theme song is Tonight's the Night from Outasight.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."