Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Vanilla players, what keeps you playing?

I'm just curious what has kept the players back from vanilla still playing, apart from playing with friends, pretty much everyone I know from wow has moved on.

I've been out of it since pretty much mists and haven't been able to fall back in "love" with the game since.

I think WoW is a very solid game and probably do the mmo thing better then anything out there, it could just be that I'm all mmoed out since I can't find an interest anymore.

So again, what has kept you playing for this long?

The regular content updates.

I want to see the ending of the story

thinking of the good old day of vanilla.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nothing currently. I miss playing, but with the current way developers are making WoW, I am not giving them my money. At this point I guess I just have to find others things to do and hope the next expansion changes things up for the better.

Its not so much gameplay and content , though I miss the old days. I play these days more to see the story end , Wow has been a good part of my life now and I have to see it through

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    I'm just curious what has kept the players back from vanilla still playing, apart from playing with friends, pretty much everyone I know from wow has moved on.

I've been out of it since pretty much mists and haven't been able to fall back in "love" with the game since.

I think WoW is a very solid game and probably do the mmo thing better then anything out there, it could just be that I'm all mmoed out since I can't find an interest anymore.

I find I have a certain rhythm and that keeps me engaged without burning out.

When I first started playing in Vanilla, I didn't raid seriously and basically played for 2 years straight.

I lost my first account (long story) and went through a few different accounts/characters in BC, so that was a bit of mix and match but played for the majority of that time as well.

In wrath I mainly raided with my girlfriend, and when we broke up I took a break from WoW for about a year (TOC-ICC) and then came back right before launch.

Since then I basically come back for 6 months or so every launch, enjoy gearing up and smashing the content and raiding with the people I know or those that I don't. Then eventually my interest (and the fresh content) tapers off and I quit, only to return 12-18 months later and begin the cycle anew.

TL;DR WoW is a great game when there is a lot of content, so playing the start of expansions is always interesting. After that... interest tends to wane and I lose focus and inevitably move on to greener pastures.

One day maybe I won't come back, who knows.

I'm in that same boat myself, I started back in the beginning of BC. Can't really say I've fallen out of love with the game, but after the first week of WoD i haven't had any motivation to do heroics or raids and now pvp. All I've been doing lately is logging in to check my mail.

Still trying to complete the game, but they keep fucking it up with updates :<

Apart from that, it's just the stuff you mentioned. People i've played with for 10 years.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by F4ulty View Post
    The regular content updates.
    This guy...

Anyways I play to pass time. Keeps me from getting burnt out on writing.
    "The more we nurture our perversions the more human we become."
    -Vendetta Red

Prudes...

Deleted
    What keeps me playing?

Lack of a better thing to do.
    And hopes that blizzard will find the love in their hearts to fix the rogue class.
    I will never yield!

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla players, what keeps you playing?
    It's WarCraft. I've been playing WarCraft games since the third RTS, up through and including Hearthstone. I've unsubbed from WoW sometimes (during part of Cata and MoP), but I play because I like WarCraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadei View Post
    I find I have a certain rhythm and that keeps me engaged without burning out.
    I pretty much do this as well.

Since TBC I haven't played an expansion start-finish all the way through, ill renew my sub for 3-6 months and raid for a while, level a couple alts, then inevitably get bored during the end of expansion content drought and start up again next expansion.

I've been married for 6 years and now have a 1 year old. I don't have much time for video games so only really play one game, and that is WoW. It's my favorite game, and I've been playing it since around the time of the Zul'Gurub patch (1.7). I've been involved with the lore of Warcraft since Warcraft 2, although I do remember playing the first Warcraft at a friend's house. I've grown up with this lore. I basically look as WoW as an interactive novel, and I enjoy getting my 1-2 hours of break when my daughter is sleeping. While WoW is my only game at the moment, I try to keep up with the other Blizzard products, as college was full of Starcraft and Diablo 2. In my opinion, there's no better game developer out there than Blizzard, and I can always count on them to come out with a quality product.

TLDR: WoW is a fun game, and I enjoy playing it.

I enjoy the social aspect of MMOs in general, as well as the long term advancement of your characters. I was lucky enough to be part of a guild that I love since early BC after some duds in 1.x & really enjoy spending time with them. Over the years, I've tried many other MMO games but nothing has the support, fluidity, and completeness that WoW all in one package. It's a polished gem at the pinnacle of the genre. After marriage & a kid, I devote considerably less time to gaming but still love my adventures in Azeroth when life permits.

at times it's been little more than in-game friends and nostalgia that has kept me around, there was a period when my guild was really struggling for raiding tanks too (no longer though, which is fortunate because I've been casual since early MoP due to real life changes) so I stuck around then even when things were getting a little boring. the worst times have always been end of expansions, especially end of WotLK and MoP but so far the longest break I've had from WoW has only been a few weeks. ultimately though, if the game stops being fun I will stop playing
    for now though I'm enjoying most aspects of WoD and have more than enough to do in game to keep me busy for a while

WC2-WC3 nostalgia. Love the entire plot, characters, gameplay..etc. Hooked myself on Vanilla because WoW was where all the action took place I grew up on. I wouldn't even consider myself a gamer. I haven't bought a console since PS2. I haven't played another video game in 2, maybe 3 years (not counting nintendo).

I continue to play because I genuinely like the story of Warcraft. I enjoy how it evolves from a lore perspective.

Besides that I still do play because I enjoy pvp and still have some TBC / Wrath friends that play or came back. Always a good conversation (thanks battletag), and Wow is a nice break from RL slave to the grind.

The people. The phenomenon. The solid gameplay. The drama surrounding everything. The fact that no other developer is able to create a game that equals this. Despite all the things I hate, it's still the reigning, undefeated champion. And it doesn't look like there are serious contenders in sight.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

My friends. My guild. My friends in my guild.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    The content is still fun and engaging, and I still have a lot of fun with everything. One of the biggest things that keeps me over everything else is Role-Playing. It is the ultimate way to stay entertained in WoW, especially between content patches and expansions.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!