Poll: Can you heal without addons?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    For most people it's just what they're used to and you can get by without them. But I do think the addons are an advantage especially in larger groups. If I'm in a group with 10+ people I want frames I can customize which addons give me more flexibility to do. It's like for an afflic lock or any dot-centric dps spec, players can get by without a dot timer addon but most will do better with one over the default ui.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never once used any addon for healing and I do it just fine.

I've been healing with mouse overs as long as I can remember ( years ) I did give a UI a try years ago, and it broke for a patch, it was then I decided to use MO's.

For my healing spells I use 4 buttons on my mouse ( have 9 ) with shift-alt-ctrl modifiers.

I also use the default UI with one addon ( moveanything ) so its not located in the default position. Which I can't remember the last time MoveAnything was broke due to a patch/expansion.

I can see additional addons removing one step of the spells I cast over old school mouse overs, and that is basically the modifiers I built into my macros, which is so built into muscle memory now, I'd honestly fear to be a shitty healer if I tried to switch now.

As for keeping the boss targeted, for abilities/interupts I am able to do this by simply targeting him, or not, or simply placing him in focus as I have another person/target...targeted.

My addon list for healing raids.

Weak Auras
    VEM
    Move Anything

Maybe I am missing something, outside of removing the ctrl-shift-alt Modifiers and cosmetics, what do other healing addons give me that the default doesn't. Default shows me shields, incoming heals, debuffs, my own heals and dispells which I can cover.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never used an add on to heal before, kind of curious to try now though.

I find it strange that people brag about not using addons.
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I would be completely fine if I set up mouseover macros, but that takes for fucking ever and uses up all my macro slots. Using clique is more about the convenience of avoiding having to set up macros, and it's the only addon I use that is specifically oriented towards healing.

Mouseover isn't about skill or lack of skill, it's just about efficiency. It also allows me to keep the boss targeted for interrupts and awareness of other abilities. I think I'm a better player for it, not worse.
    With something like /cast [target=mouseover] SpellName, you can keep the boss targeted and heal whatever you mouseover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    There is a mouseover function in the default UI - it's called writing mouseover macros.

EDIT:

For people who use mouseover macros and not Clique, do you do this just so you can claim you heal 'without addons'? If not, why do you write many complicated mouseover macros instead of using an addon that provides identical functionality?
    how many macros do you think it takes to heal?

10+ Year Old Account
    I only use weak-auras.

And I only started using it cause I am bad at tracking solace
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I dislike when people say they don't need addons, but use macros with identical functionality to addons.
    『Fun Removed by DPRK 』

10+ Year Old Account
    I use mouseover macros so I guess I would be fine.

I answered "no" simply because "can you at all is it possible" is just too much of a "well duh" kind of question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyderi View Post
    I dislike when people say they don't need addons, but use macros with identical functionality to addons.
    Exactly. I was friggin baffled by someone posting a thing against addons like Healbot because "they didn't want to be a clicker." You have to remember between eight and twelve combinations of mouth buttons and still need your hotbar for non-targetted abilities and somehow that makes you a "clicker" because you didn't ... I don't know tab-target?
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

I could, the stock UI can replace Grid pretty much and that's what I used for beta raid testing.

I use Clique, but for mouseover custom macros, it's the only way I found how to limit my macros to the raid frames.

Yep, never used them in raiding at any point, never needed to. Some people can't play without a crutch though, so.

i tried once.. switching to the default raid ui (for groups) will simplify the way frames look.
    macros can be made to perform mouseover functions like clique.

it is possible... its just a hassle

There is a mouseover function in the default UI - it's called writing mouseover macros.

EDIT:

For people who use mouseover macros and not Clique, do you do this just so you can claim you heal 'without addons'? If not, why do you write many complicated mouseover macros instead of using an addon that provides identical functionality?
    no, i do it to not have to klick with the mouse to heal.
    I never got to understand people that use Clique, because its heavily redundant with mouseover macro (i would say completely unneccessary), and using it costs u a million mouseclicks an a raid evening.

I prefer to go with those macros, that are like 7 years old, and work with any unitframe. For unitframes, i mostly use grid or standard ui when pvping.

But i will never get the reason why people use Clique, its just making you have to press your mouse like an idiot for any spell.

I do not use WeakAuras, I use Blizzard Raid Frames. I don't use mouseover macros. The only thing I use is my meter telling me how badly I'm kicking the other healers asses. I've done this and healed heroic/Mythic difficulty content to the fullest extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia
    Has anything pushed you to the edge of quitting WoW?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreall
    Long Distance relationships and Justin Bieber

Yes but why would you not use addons?
    Hi Sephurik

Never used addons for healing in pvp or pve, not even sure what is considered a healing addon actually. Perhaps I should try.

I've heard of many people not being able to without a hover addon, but a lot of it is preference. I've never once healed with an addon, though i've only done this with my shaman.

EDIT:

I'd rather spend 30 minutes setting up my macros once which save across everything rather than having an addon.

I use compact raid just because it looks like blizzard default and you can remove the horrible borders and mouseover macros. I tried Clique and healbot, didn't like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.