Let Explosive Shot expire before reusing?

Hey all, I just specced Survival. According to Icy-Veins, I should be using Explosive Shot whenever it's available. But I'm wondering if for example I have a Lock n' Load proc, do I fire one Explosive Shot, then a Cobra Shot, then the second Explosive Shot in order to give the DoT enough time to run its course? Or do I really just use Explosive Shot every opportunity it's available without worrying about whether or not the DoT has expired?

Section of Icy-Veins I'm referring to:
    1. Cast Black Arrow Icon Black Arrow on cooldown.
    2. Cast Explosive Shot Icon Explosive Shot on cooldown
    thanks to Lock and Load Icon Lock and Load, you will often have a proc that resets the cooldown of Explosive Shot, and allow you to cast it twice without it costing Focus or incurring a cooldown.

As far as I am aware, MOP introduced the change whereby Explosive Shot's DOTS did not clip, so allowing us to effectively stack ES dots for a very short period if L&L proc'd. Not aware that it changed and (following respeccing to Surv myself earlier - could not stand another moment of MM) the dps did not suffer by using that skill on CD as soon as it was available.

Okay cool thanks. Yup that's actually what I was referring to. I remember having to worry about clipping playing as Survival back in the day. Good to know!

Shoot as many Explosive shots in a row as you can. The DOT stacks now.

See the 1st post in this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rafting-Thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Whaaat really? We don't need to wait for the first explosive shot dot to wear off before using again? Well shieeeet wish I knew!

The things you learn while reading who knew.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    you guys don't actually watch your target debuff? When i switch survival, that is the first thing i noticed. it doesn't stack per se, but each application increase the dot time so it run longer. Same mechanic for other buff like shield block on protection warrior.

Deleted
    the new mechanism does allow stacking dots when reapplied during the last quarter of remaining time, so if you are a Little too fast you might loose a tick.
    i dont think there is any exception to this but i havent touched my hunter in current Expansion.

Does serpent spring refresh on all affected targets when I arcane shot my main target?

No, it doesn't.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    multi shot apply serpent sting too though

Quote Originally Posted by Meythia View Post
    the new mechanism does allow stacking dots when reapplied during the last quarter of remaining time, so if you are a Little too fast you might loose a tick.
    i dont think there is any exception to this but i havent touched my hunter in current Expansion.
    You never lose any ticks, no matter how fast you are.

The way it works is, it redistributes the remaining damage on the dot and refreshes the duration.

So you have 100 damage left on the dot, you refresh ES, that 100 damage is essentially tacked onto the next explosive shot dot and spread out over the remaining ticks.