Reloading modem distantly?

Alright let me explain my problem, my family rent a country side and house is divided into two parts(there is no door which connects them), basically we live in one part, owners in other part. Thing is, they own internet even though we pay for it, modem is located at their side. And it would be ok if, let's say internet worked fine but each time I come there, "DNS errors" and such, and modem restart always fix them but it's usually pretty complicated to reach modem itself. Dunno why it gets all those errors I thought maybe because too many connected devices? We use like 5 without counting owner's. Anyway, I was thinking maybe there could be some clever way to turn off modem distantly? Absurd of situation that it's like meter away, but wall...

10+ Year Old Account
    Motorola cable modems typically have a web interface at http://192.168.100.1 where you can reboot them.
    It usually varies a bit with other manufactures. Have you tried using alternate dns servers? It might help considering the modem or built in router has a flaky dns forwarder.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2014-12-24 at 01:20 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you own/pay for the service, you should have full access to the modem (as described in previous post). It's easy enough to reboot the modem if you can connect to it.

Otherwise perhaps put it on a timer so it reboots once a day by default (early AM is a good time).

Example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-24-Hou...5119/100685881

10+ Year Old Account
    Some 3G/4G enabled modems have SMS features that allow you to reboot them by sending them an SMS from a whitelisted number.
    Is the modem provided by the ISP?
    Have you checked to see if:
    - Using different DNS servers to the ISP's solves the issue?
    - You can still ping/connect IP address' when this happens?
    - Is your firewall and security settings up to date on the modem?

(I recently had a problem similar to this where my modem/router was blocking DNS requests. Turned out to be some misconfiguration the ISP had in their TR69 server. They weren't saving the config after the TR69 server made the change to the modem so a reboot temporarily resolved the problem.)

If you do call your ISP to resolve and find out if this is the case.
    1) Make sure you are speaking to second level technical support,
    2) Make sure you are speaking to a manager.
    - The majority of level 1 and even level 2 techs won't have a clue about this sort of thing.

Have you tried using a different modem/router?

Putting a timer that cuts the power that gives no notice to the hardware its controlling; on it is not a good idea. Just the same as putting a timer on your PC is not a good idea. Don't do it.
    There is a reason companies invest thousands and thousands of pounds in setting up APC profiles and hardware.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-12-25 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks that was very helpful now I finally have constant internet <3

Deleted
    Could you get a Ethernet over power adapter and share the internet? or is that to weird?