32-bit processes on a 64-bit machine?

So I got a shiny new computer the other day, but Task Manager says all my games and what not are running in 32-bit mode instead of 64-bit mode. What's the deal, how can I 'fix' this? I know there's nothing /wrong/ with running 32-bit on a 64-bit machine, but I'm surely not taking full advantage of my hardware by doing so.

Unless the software supplier has 64bit versions of 'said' software, your stuck with 32bit - it's not something you can toggle on and off.
    Simply if the software was written for a 32bit architecture it cannot run in 64bit and vise versa.

Edit: To clarify, 32bit can run UNDER a 64bit OS, but not AS a 64bit process.

Um, the bit version is determined by the Windows version, and has barely anything to do with hardware.

Unless you have games that are routinely taking up close to 2 GB of memory. you wouldn't really see any advantage of using a 64 bit process over a 32 bit process in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
    Um, the bit version is determined by the Windows version, and has barely anything to do with hardware.
    Not true. For you to even run a 64-bit version of Windows it requires that you have a 64-bit CPU. You can have a 64-bit CPU with 32-bit Windows, but not the other way around.

OP, for the most part games are run as 32-bit because of consoles. They JUST maid the change to 64-bit last year. So any game released before than will most likely run in 32-bit. Some older games, specifically PC only games like WoW, will have 64-bit versions. You just have to select the 64-bit version.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

Sorry, I should've been more cliear: I have 64-bit windows, and a 64-bit processor, and these are games which have 64-bit versions.

Quote Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
    On the contrary - the CPU has to support 64 bit intructions. Admittedly, that has been almost every CPU built after 2001, but still.

32 bit processes will run on a 64 bit OS because x64 is a subset of x86. Programs will, however, only run in 64 bit mode if there is a 64 bit version of the program available (which should be fairly self-explanatory.

Is WoW, one of those games?

Can you confirm you are trying to run it in 64bit mode?
    -Blizz Launcher > click the battlenet logo > settings > game settings > make sure 'launch 32bit client' isnt checked.

Is wow running 32 or 64bit version? - can you SS taskman

Since I don't have an active subscription, I've not bothered reinstalling WoW yet. However, I just tested it with Planetside 2, which I'd have SWORN had shown me 32-bit earlier... I guess most of my games actually don't have a 64-bit version. My bad, sorry for the forum clutter. =-\ I thought sure that was an option most games supported (but didn't require)...

The 32Bit instructions are a subset of the 64Bit instructions, it´s up to the developer which set he wants to use. You cannot "speed up" 32bit or anything like that.

In nearly all cases for Games(and majority of software), 64-bit is only there to allow the use of more RAM. There is no real benefit over 32-bit since a vast majority of games do not require that much RAM.

Exceptions are games like Battlefield 4, where on my system(with 8GB RAM), it can consume up-to 2.4GB depending on the map, and that is where the 64-bit version will help a lot in increasing smoothness of the gameplay if it somehow reaches the RAM "cap" using a 32-bit version of BF4.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIV View Post
    and these are games which have 64-bit versions.
    Are you sure the games have 64bit versions, or just are 64bit compatible*?

*Everything is.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIV View Post
    Sorry, I should've been more cliear: I have 64-bit windows, and a 64-bit processor, and these are games which have 64-bit versions.
    In this case, the 64-bit executables are in the game folder.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was made within the last 10 years, it's a 64-bit CPU. More likely you have 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit CPU. I believe the upgrade to 64-bit is free if you're using 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If it was made within the last 10 years, it's a 64-bit CPU.
    Low power CPUs made for tablets & cheap laptops arent necessarily.

I believe the upgrade to 64-bit is free if you're using 7 or 8.
    Same CD key can be used for both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 and 8 at least. Not 100% sure about Vista but I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Low power CPUs made for tablets & cheap laptops arent necessarily.

Same CD key can be used for both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7 and 8 at least. Not 100% sure about Vista but I think so.
    The OP is running a 64 bit Windows installation, or he wouldn't be seeing the differentiation between x86 and x64 processes. So that obviously isn't the problem. You also have to go down to the 2 watt 1.6 GHz Atom processors to find one that doesn't support 64 bit instructions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The OP is running a 64 bit Windows installation, or he wouldn't be seeing the differentiation between x86 and x64 processes. So that obviously isn't the problem. You also have to go down to the 2 watt 1.6 GHz Atom processors to find one that doesn't support 64 bit instructions.
    Atom processors still exist? Didn't they die off with the great failure of Netbooks?

Atom processors still exist? Didn't they die off with the great failure of Netbooks?
    They're used everywhere from thin clients to cash registers and media machines, among a ton of other stuff... Pretty much common knowledge in the hardware world.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics