What would Google+ be doing here?

Not sure this should be here or in the computer area, but I guess here is better.

We have Verizon wireless for our phones. Our plan renews each month on the 19th ( for data purposes ). We have a 4gb monthly allowance. We have never gone over until this past Sunday.... 2 days into the new month of data.

On Sunday, I turned my phone on and got a message that we were already at 75% of our monthly plan. WTH? No clue how that happened.... about 30 minutes later I got a notice that we were at 90%.... and just a short time after that, I got a text saying our data plan had been fully used.... So, I called Verizon and they said all the data was being used by my wife's phone. They hooked me up with a technician who talked me through a procedure on the phone, and we found that 98% of our allotted data was used by Google+ in just 2 days. Actually, my wife did some of the work with the guy, and I guess he told her how to stop it from happening.

My wife said she went on Google+ for about 10 minutes on the 19th.

Anyway, what do you think was going on there? She did not ask why it happened, or she doesn't remember why, if the guy told her..... I just want to make sure it never happens again.

Was she using the video hangout with someone? The only thing that I could think that would use a lot of data would be live streaming with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    Was she using the video hangout with someone?
    She isn't here to ask now, but I really doubt it..... she hates cameras.

I guess your best bet is to try contacting google+ and have them look at your wife's account to see what happened.

Deleted
    Funny thing. I was having sex with the wife he over night, missionary style cos it's Christmas after all and I got the worst cramp in my thighs. Does God hate me?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-12-25 at 02:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Android I guess ?

With Google+, that makes 2 reasons for this kind of things to happen.

Google+ has lots of issues with its sync feature, that sometimes goes wild and keeps downloading everything again instead of simply syncing.

And Android allows that, while any good mobile OS would block or at least limit it.
    Oh, hi.

Deleted
    Either the provider is telling lies or she was doing something more then just checking mail for 10m...you'd have to stream 4k ultra hd to come even close to 4gb in 60m.

Even with syncing issues, it's simply not possible to use that much without doing something wrong on your end unless as I said it's bug with your provider and they simply didn't check it properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Android I guess ?

With Google+, that makes 2 reasons for this kind of things to happen.

Google+ has lots of issues with its sync feature, that sometimes goes wild and keeps downloading everything again instead of simply syncing.

And Android allows that, while any good mobile OS would block or at least limit it.
    No OS blocks it unless you set it up to block it beforehand. The average smartphone user has no clue how to configure their phone.

Regardless of what's causing it, it's obviously your wife's fault.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    No OS blocks it unless you set it up to block it beforehand. The average smartphone user has no clue how to configure their phone.
    They don't block it, they limit it.

Background processes have serious limitations on other OS so that no application can hinder the use of the phone (mostly in terms of time of execution and max memory/cpu usage), Android doesn't. G+ sync runs in background while you're outside the application.

And there's nothing to configure for that on iOS or WP, it's the default behavior, and can not be changed.
    Oh, hi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    They don't block it, they limit it.

Background processes have serious limitations on other OS so that no application can hinder the use of the phone (mostly in terms of time of execution and max memory/cpu usage), Android doesn't. G+ sync runs in background while you're outside the application.

And there's nothing to configure for that on iOS or WP, it's the default behavior, and can not be changed.
    While true, it still isn't possible to use up 4GB at that speed. As I said, she would have to stream 4k ultra hd to use that much data.

15+ Year Old Account
    While true, it still isn't possible to use up 4GB at that speed. As I said, she would have to stream 4k ultra hd to use that much data.
    Not really, G+ Sync can sync all photos and videos from your account, and it's known to be bugged. Maybe it just starts downloading something, fails, restarts, fails again, and keeps on forever. You can use 4GB while only trying to sync just 1 picture when this kind of bugs happens on a bad software/system.
    Oh, hi.

I don't have a smart phone but people I know do. I have to constantly help them with their devices because the phones and tablets refuse to totally shut apps down when closed. Google apps and facebook messenger are the worst ones. You close them but then they run in the background eating up data and making the phone run slowly. You have to go into your settings/apps/all and force them to shut to actually shut them down 100%. I have always thought smart phones were annoying which has led to me not having one, and having to babysit other peoples' devices has just reinforced that with me. Google needs to stop trying to control everything.

Deleted
    In England we have 2 providers that have unlimited data plans.

1) Giff Gaff which is a cheap pay as you go.
    2) Three network where nearly all of their plans from cheap to expensive are unlimited data.

Why anybody would choose to go with any other network is baffling to me.

Who the frick wants data limits?

If you don't have cheap unlimited data plans in other countries, i will admit that can suck.

- - - Updated - - -

I can download 4 films in 20 minutes, even less on my 4g mobile plan.

Which could be between 3gb and 8gb.

4gb in an hour is easy done.

10+ Year Old Account
    you most likely connected to your google drive thus downloading every single item to your phone. only thing i can think of.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

That's weird since Google+ is only really social media. I use Google Hangouts to IM sometimes and Google+ to send out beta invites for apps, but that's it as far as what "Google+" does.

It can be done manually but.....there's an app for that.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on what happened, burning through 4gb in an hour is easy.

When I first got 4G. I was constantly running Speedtest in different locations to see the speeds. I used up just over 2.5gb in what would have been the equivalent of maybe 60 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    I hereby would like to nominate this person for the tool award.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    Only if we get a pet for the disaster that was your parents deciding to breed.

Either the provider is telling lies or she was doing something more then just checking mail for 10m...you'd have to stream 4k ultra hd to come even close to 4gb in 60m.

Even with syncing issues, it's simply not possible to use that much without doing something wrong on your end unless as I said it's bug with your provider and they simply didn't check it properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, on the phone it actually showed a graph showing that it was all google+.

And isn't this even stranger..... now that my wife fixed the issue with the tech, we got an offer from Verizon for 6 extra gb..... 10 overall per month, for $6 more a month.

But at least the problem is fixed.... and we did take the offer to go to 10gb..... heck, they charge $10 for 1GB if you go over and need more.
    Last edited by GarlicGuy; 2014-12-27 at 05:54 AM.

Long story short, your wife is cheating on you.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    Nope, on the phone it actually showed a graph showing that it was all google+.

And isn't this even stranger..... now that my wife fixed the issue with the tech, we got an offer from Verizon for 6 extra gb..... 10 overall per month, for $6 more a month.

But at least the problem is fixed.... and we did take the offer to go to 10gb..... heck, they charge $10 for 1GB if you go over and need more.
    Verizon upped me to 6gb a month, no extra charge. BOOM!