Question about Assassination pooling.

Is it really a DPS increase to only use Envenom at the last second before it expires over just using it as soon as possible? I find it really hard to hold back especially during my initial burst when I am CP capped very quickly waiting for Envenom to be almost up to reapply it. I am wondering if it wouldn't be the same to just use Envenom whenever I have 5 CP and Rupture still has a decent duration.

Also, is it better to cast SR before or after Rupture?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I'm doing that way(I have rupture etc. etc.)
    -if you have 5 CP on a target and envenom buff -> use it about 0.5-1 sec before Envenom buff is going to be expired(you'll get some extra time even after "clipping" that),
    -if you have 5 CP on a target and not envenom buff -> wait for ~70-80 of energy and then use Evenom,

what he said but never energy cap

And even if you do both of those perfectly, the DPS increase is so small as to be unnoticeable. So do it if you want to (I do usually), but if you have *anything* else you could be concentrating on (not standing in fire, interrupting, calling mechanics for others, etc.), do that instead.

Deleted
    The idea behind pooling atm is to make sure you can get as many abilities inside envenom since we get increased damage to abilities. Generally if you have envenom up already just go into anticipation if you have alot of energy and like 3/4 sec left on it.

Before Shadow Reflection however its ideal to pool to almost full energy so you can cast a bazilion mutilates and whatnots in quick sucession and your shadow copy mimic them all. Also if dispatch procced and youre at 5 cp dont dispatch before envenoming.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    May not be ideal but I go Mut Mut/disp, pool a bit SR/Vend Rupture MfD Enevnom. Burst upwards of 60k+

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    Before Shadow Reflection however its ideal to pool to almost full energy so you can cast a bazilion mutilates and whatnots in quick sucession and your shadow copy mimic them all. Also if dispatch procced and youre at 5 cp dont dispatch before envenoming.
    http://www.simulationcraft.org/repor....html#player27
    Envenom : 32.6K damage per use
    Mutilate : 15.6K damage per use
    Dispatch : 14.2K damage per use

As Mutilate hurts like a wet noodle, I prefer maximizing the number of Envenoms for SR than Mutilates/Dispatchs. Of course, this is good to do as much Mutilate/Dispatch as possible for SR but what strikes "hard" is not Mutilate (15.6K), it is Envenom (32.6K but sadly, nothing compared to Frost Obliterate (46K) or Ferocious beat (104K), for example).
    So, I would suggest, and tell me if I am wrong, before SR, pool combo points as much as possible (max anticipation or use MfD) and energy to provide SR as much Envenom as possible and do not hesitate to override the Envenom buff (only) during the few seconds SR is recording your actions : the more Envenom SR will do the better you will get from this talent.

Pooling energy to perform as much techniques (Mutilate/dispatch/Rupture) as possible under the Envenom buff is also good practice but as pointed by PessimiStick, unfortunately, the DPS gain is not big and this is certainly why the Assasination spec is also said to be an easy spec, just because optimizing perfectly the rotation will not provide a big difference at the end of the raid session.
    Blizzard improved a little the Assassination design for WoD with the Empowered Envenom perk : it now increases the damage of Mutilate and Dispatch by 30% when performed while the Envenom buff is active... but 30% of 24% of the total DPS (see http://www.simulationcraft.org/reports/Raid_T17N.html ) is at most 8% of DPS increase for perfection... And it is extremely easy to maintain nearly 100% Envenom uptime during the Assassination execute time (life of target < 35%).

An Assassination rogue needs to increase its DPS by more than 8% to be on par with a WW Monk (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/6/#difficulty=4) at least a 12% increase is required to allow the best of us a chance to shine against an average WW Monk for single target fights. The Empowered Envenom perk would need to be increased from 30% to 60% damage increase to acheive this.

EDIT : one third of the Empowered Envenom perk DPS increase is almost given for free because how easy it is to maintain 100% Envenom uptime when the life of our target is below 35%. This means that with the Assassination spec, the reward for perfection is only something like 5%, right, now.

EDIT 2 : typo in the figures...
    Last edited by mmoc972a289242; 2014-12-28 at 10:01 AM.