10+ Year Old Account

So I'm leveling an Affliction Warlock...

... basically in my off-raiding hours because I eventually want to do that "green fire" quest that I've heard so many people talk about and I've noticed that my dps in early Outland dungeons is about half of what the rest of the dps classes in my dungeon parties is doing. I'm applying the dots. I'm using the channeling spell recommended by Noxxic and have the recommended talents. I'm also wearing the appropriate heirlooms. Is this spec just broken until the later levels or what?
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2014-12-26 at 05:29 AM.

Dot classes always seem to struggle with dps while levelling, stuff doesn't live long enough for dots to tick very much.

Affliction is probably not the best spec for group content until max level but stick with it, balance doesn't happen until 100 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    ... basically in my off-raiding ours because I eventually want to do that "green fire" quest that I've heard so many people talk about and I've noticed that my dps in early Outland dungeons is about half of what the rest of the dps classes in my dungeon parties is doing. I'm applying the dots. I'm using the channeling spell recommended by Noxxic and have the recommended talents. I'm also wearing the appropriate heirlooms. Is this spec just broken until the later levels or what?
    Affliction has too much ramp up time for it to be very useful on trash packs in 5 mans. It doesn't really matter how hard you try, stuff dies before agony even stacks to 10 which is where it starts to do work. You may be doing things wrong, I'm not sure, but the biggest issue is how fast stuff dies, specifcially with bursty AoE classes in 5 mans with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietrik View Post
    Dot classes always seem to struggle with dps while levelling, stuff doesn't live long enough for dots to tick very much.

Affliction is probably not the best spec for group content until max level but stick with it, balance doesn't happen until 100 anyway.
    That's what I was hoping to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Octa View Post
    Affliction has too much ramp up time for it to be very useful on trash packs in 5 mans. It doesn't really matter how hard you try, stuff dies before agony even stacks to 10 which is where it starts to do work. You may be doing things wrong, I'm not sure, but the biggest issue is how fast stuff dies, specifcially with bursty AoE classes in 5 mans with you.
    I've noticed. Back in the day, classes had "leveling specs." I guess Affliction ain't one of 'em.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed. Back in the day, classes had "leveling specs." I guess Affliction ain't one of 'em.
    Funny cause back in the day Affliction was the leveling spec. DoT DoT tab, rinse repeat 10 or so times, drain tank. Pop healthstone if needed. Sac Voidwalker for bubble in hairy situations.

Yeah those were good times. Now things die to quick, and that slows you down b/c you can no longer kill 10 things at once, you can instead kill 4-6 things in the same amount of time.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

Destruction is far and away the better leveling spec. Shadowburn keeps you 100% full on embers, short Havoc CD means you can cleave more mobs more often, Ember Tap is on-use instead of SL which can drop off between mobs.

I leveled Affliction in BC and WotLK when it was so much better for it, but now everything's burst-burst-burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Funny cause back in the day Affliction was the leveling spec. DoT DoT tab, rinse repeat 10 or so times, drain tank. Pop healthstone if needed. Sac Voidwalker for bubble in hairy situations.

Yeah those were good times. Now things die to quick, and that slows you down b/c you can no longer kill 10 things at once, you can instead kill 4-6 things in the same amount of time.
    Affliction is still quite good for solo leveling, run through while tabbing dots on everything that moves.

The problem is in dungeons, where mobs die too quickly from bursty aoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

... basically in my off-raiding ours because I eventually want to do that "green fire" quest that I've heard so many people talk about ...
    Wrong exp. =P
    It was amazing, really trully memorable in MoP at low ilvl, but now you won't feel that good after beating Karenthad. Still awesome questline though.

You will start liking affliction more when you get to level 90+. I leveled all the way to 100 with afflic and although I had the gear, you don't really need much with the voidwalker. Dungeons isn't very good because your AoE is trash, and even in high level dungeons/CM's, all the trash is done by AoEing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evertonbelmontt View Post
    It was amazing, really trully memorable in MoP at low ilvl, but now you won't feel that good after beating Karenthad. Still awesome questline though.
    That's all I'm after. I never paid much attention to the Warlock until that cosmetic quest in MoP got everybody's attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Playintrafic View Post
    Funny cause back in the day Affliction was the leveling spec.
    That's why I picked it initially. I had out-of-date intel. lol

I did 90-100 as Aff...Its a great spec and stuff die just as fast as my other alts...Play it and you will figure out how to do it! Worth saying I do not grind and NO AoE just straight up questing..

In addition to the ramp up time of DoTs on a mob Affliction also has weak AoE and therefore generally makes a poor dungeon spec, at any level, compared to the other 2. It's ST/cleaving (on adds that last a long time) damage at max level is very strong though on dungeon length boss fights. I would also suggest that the other 2 make better levelling specs as well due to the burst damage but in the end play what you want to. Good luck!