[Help] Taking far too much damage on Heroic (649ilvl)

I did a heroic pug today, it went smooth until butcher, i just felt like i was getting smacked, like i was taking 80-140k hits, very often. My health always spiked from 100% to 30% to 70% to 40% etc.

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, i really wish i had logs to show, but has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? or is 649 as a prot warrior just too low for heroic highmaul? i also noticed i was taking high hits on bracken, though twin ogron was a bit smoother...

I constantly keep shield block up/on cd, and i used a lot of shield barriers on butcher, even though it blocks for shit all, but i used it as i felt i needed to from the massive damage.

My armory is: http: //us. battle.net/wow/en/character/barthilas/Nurfed/advanced

but i'm just not sure what im doing wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by RawrTiffany View Post
    I did a heroic pug today, it went smooth until butcher, i just felt like i was getting smacked, like i was taking 80-140k hits, very often. My health always spiked from 100% to 30% to 70% to 40% etc.

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, i really wish i had logs to show, but has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? or is 649 as a prot warrior just too low for heroic highmaul? i also noticed i was taking high hits on bracken, though twin ogron was a bit smoother...

I constantly keep shield block up/on cd, and i used a lot of shield barriers on butcher, even though it blocks for shit all, but i used it as i felt i needed to from the massive damage.

Without logs it's difficult to say where you went wrong, unfortunately. A lot of people would tell you "I did everything right but I still pulled low dps or took a lot of damage" but when you look at the logs you find that there are a lot of problems.

Still, maybe I can help you with something regardless.

Your crit seems very low - currently there is some debate between whether mastery or crit is our best secondary stat(I am in the crit camp myself). Regardless, it seems as if you have more haste and multistrike than you do crit which seems like a major problem to me.

In terms of the Butcher itself
    Do you:
    Save 2 shield block charges for when you're actually tanking?
    Pool your cooldowns for when you're tanking the boss? What cooldowns do you use when, in what order?
    Use Ravager rather than Gladiator's Resolve?

When you aren't tanking, what do you spend your rage on? Shield Block, Shield Barrier, or Heroic Strike?

Deleted
    Butcher Heroic hits hard, fact. Make sure u are using shield block when u are not tanking (have atleast 1 charge up when u start tanking). Gladiator Resolve will result in less damage taken overall through the fight, but the spikeyness is higher and makes u harder to heal so Ravager is the better choice.
    Also, don't be afraid to ask for external cooldowns when u don't have any SB/ravager/DS up, and u still have ~5-10 seconds to tank (a vigilance or HoS is usually enough).

Try to smooth out your defensive CD's (for example: don't stack ravager + DS on top of eachother).

Quote Originally Posted by Novaflare View Post
    Without logs it's difficult to say where you went wrong, unfortunately. A lot of people would tell you "I did everything right but I still pulled low dps or took a lot of damage" but when you look at the logs you find that there are a lot of problems.

Still, maybe I can help you with something regardless.

Your crit seems very low - currently there is some debate between whether mastery or crit is our best secondary stat(I am in the crit camp myself). Regardless, it seems as if you have more haste and multistrike than you do crit which seems like a major problem to me.

In terms of the Butcher itself
    Do you:
    Save 2 shield block charges for when you're actually tanking?
    Pool your cooldowns for when you're tanking the boss? What cooldowns do you use when, in what order?
    Use Ravager rather than Gladiator's Resolve?

When you aren't tanking, what do you spend your rage on? Shield Block, Shield Barrier, or Heroic Strike?
    I know it's very difficult to tell, I'm quite sad the RL wasn't logging, but it was only an alt raid.

I wasn't sure what's the best stat, except knowing Mastery was #1, i wasn't aware at all that crit is a top competitor. Sadly, i know my gear is very bad. But i had a lot of 630's, so replacing them with the normal/heroic gear, just the raw stats were a bigger upgrade, so i haven't had much opportunity.

May i ask what makes crit better then mastery (in your opinion)? is it the crits for rage gain?

I use shield block when i'm not tanking, but when i'm tanking i still have 2, usually i use 1 or 2 early, then just dump excess rage on barrier and not block.

I try to rotate cooldowns, usually i go (in order from first round to last)

Shield Wall
    Last stand (sometimes coupled with enraged regen if i feel danger)
    Enraged regen (if not previous one)
    demo shout

then some down time, and repeat.

For the first couple of pulls i was using Ravager, but i was getting smacked so hard, so i switched to Glad for the 5% reduction, we one shot it after that, however i still got hit really hard (we one shot because we added an extra healer)

Thank you ><
    Last edited by RawrTiffany; 2014-12-26 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot a cd

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RawrTiffany View Post

Hey there Nurfed,

So lets talk about what you can do to improve your situation

Enchants: Seems like you are a bit confused here, you have crit on your neck, as well as mastery with your other pieces. Make sure that you commit to one strategy. Seeing as you are complaining of spikes, I would guess this is a TMI issue. Make sure to refer to Thekk's explanation of TMI. In short, it reduces the "spikiness" of damage intake, usually sacrificing a lower overall damage taken. What are some ways that you can reduce your spike damage taken? Enchant your pieces with critical strike (as some research on the recent forum thread has released), as well as enchant your weapon with Blackrock. Blackrock allows you to bounce back after taking a startling hit, lengthening the response time your healers are allowed to get you up.

Gems: If you are going with the crit method, i would change this to crit.

Glyphs: Fine, i guess, Unending Rage allows you to pool for strikes

UI: I would make sure to get a swing timer, allows you to stagger sblocks to absorb more hits within the windows.

Talents: Looks like you are using Gladiator's Resolve. I would recommend against this. Ravager allows you to fill in the gaps in between sblock uptime allowing you to reduce damage, on especially butcher.

Playstyle: You might be using too much shield barrier. While i was reading your post, it seemed like you would panic and blow it. This puts you further behind. I posted earlier on another thread regarding the fact that you can gib yourself by sinking rage into a barrier when sblock couldn't be used. Make sure to NOT sacrirfice sblock uptime, unless you are ABOUT to die, or a large hit is incoming. Bleed off your extra rage rather than investing into it.

Make sure to post some logs of at least some patchwerk fight like LFR butcher, JUST so we can see your playstyle. It seems like it might be a fundamental problem that i may have no fixed here.
    Twitch.tv/ericn_tv

Shield barrier is shithouse right now so only use it if you know with 100% certainty that you will have 60 rage for shield block. For example if block has 3 seconds left and you have 80 rage you should only barrier if you will die next hit or if during those 3 seconds you can generate the additional 40 rage needed so you can block on CD. Also try and have good CD uptime when your are at 1/2 stacks of tenderize. You will sit a 2 stacks for a bit before the other tank is able to taunt so just make sure you have something up during that time.
    Last edited by tommos; 2014-12-27 at 03:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    del /10chars
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.