Page 1 of 2
LastLast

why is a Play Station 4 so damn expensive?

so I used my Christmas money and bought a ps4 today when the stores opened back up. Its been so long since I played on a Console the last one I owned was a Play Station 2. When I got home I found a nice surprise in the box. There was only a HDMI cable to connect to my TV. The joke was on me because my 55" Flatscreen doesnt have HDMI ports. So I headed over to Best Buy and had to drop $750 on a Samsung TV and then $100 on a stand. With Tax my ps4 ended up costing me $1300. Am I the only one who thinks $1300 is a bit much for a gaming console? Hell I still havent bought any games yet. I could have just built a new PC if I knew a ps4 was going to cost this much.

No offens, if your TV dosen't have an HDMI cable, is that your a little bit behind in technology. I'm sorry to hear that you had to dish out extra money to buy a new T.V, but all new consoles and generation are base on HDMI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't you buy a AVI - HMDI swappy thing. It's hardly the console/devs fault you have an outdated TV.
    It only cost $450. Plain and simple.

And if you didn't know it had no HDMI, and you wanted HDMI, why didn't you do the sensible thing and do some research. I knew it only came with a HDMI cable, so why didn't you?
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I read it is a better system, although, I plan to buy Xbox One in a few days, Maybe I should change my mind.

A Google search might have turned your $850 TV/Stand purchase into a $20 converter box purchase. How to Connect PS4 to TV Without HDMI .

10+ Year Old Account
    im honestly more surprised that i paid $20 in tax when i got mine

then i was frauded and sony banned my original account from PSN

fuck console gaming, i wouldn't have even gotten back into it if it wasn't for NBA2K. it's why i never give a fuck when Lizard Squad is like OH YE WELL WE'RE TAKING PSN DOWN. I'm here like, "good, fuck sony!" I hope it stays down forever.

But yeah a TV isn't a part of the console. You could have bought a TV from Walmart for like $400 even.

seriously? i bought a PC! who told me i needed a keyboard mouse and monitor to use it!:O hell it even needs to be plugged into a wall socket...

next time please remember to do some research before buying things. also if ya tv doens't have a hdmi there are ways around that.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    And if you didn't know it had no HDMI, and you wanted HDMI, why didn't you do the sensible thing and do some research. I knew it only came with a HDMI cable, so why didn't you?
    that still wouldn't change the fact my TV didnt have a HDMI port. Knowing I dont have one doesnt change the fact I still needed one. Also It gave me an excuse to finally get a new TV.

Deleted
    You guys, this dude didn't drop 1300 bucks on a Playstation and then a brand new TV. I'm usually open to believing most things, just for the fun of it, but this was just way farfetched.

Well I haven't looked closely at the PS4 specs but if its anything like the PS3 was, even with the extra things you bought, you didn't scratch the actual price of the console. Sony takes humongous losses on those consoles because it would be impractical and financial suicide to charge what it's actually worth.
    Last edited by CR77; 2014-12-26 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    so I used my Christmas money and bought a ps4 today when the stores opened back up. Its been so long since I played on a Console the last one I owned was a Play Station 2. When I got home I found a nice surprise in the box. There was only a HDMI cable to connect to my TV. The joke was on me because my 55" Flatscreen doesnt have HDMI ports. So I headed over to Best Buy and had to drop $750 on a Samsung TV and then $100 on a stand. With Tax my ps4 ended up costing me $1300. Am I the only one who thinks $1300 is a bit much for a gaming console? Hell I still havent bought any games yet. I could have just built a new PC if I knew a ps4 was going to cost this much.
    What 55inch screen doesnt have hdmi?

10+ Year Old Account
    They make TV's without hdmi ports?

I stopped reading when you said you didn't have hdmi ports on your TV.

Rocking dat 720p flatscreen from 2003 are you? God forbid you actually try to game on that garbage as early flatscreens where complete garbage.

I bought an HD capable tv back in august for $300. 32" TV, which is more than enough. Thing came with a stand. I bought a PS4 earlier today. I think someone just wanted to brag about how much disposable money they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    What 55inch screen doesnt have hdmi?
    Maybe it's one of those awesome ones with the big red, blue, and green floodlights in front of it

I could have just built a new PC if I knew a ps4 was going to cost this much.
    Well but I guess your monitor would have had only a vga connector so you'd have to buy a new one for at least another over 9000$

PS4s only work with $750+ dollar televisions now? Wait...AND they require a STAND? This is madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    that sucks man, but look at it this way: you just got an awesome new tv and a ps4 so try to be happy.

Deleted
    lol 50" TV without HDMI,. what is it ? one of these ?