Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Survival hunter seem way too simplistic to you guys?

So I got my Druid to 100 (for heals and tank) and decided to use my Hunter for DPS.

So last night I started leveling and it's been a long time since I played a hunter but I was....bored. I am speced as survival at the moment but I'm wondering if MM is a little more interesting?

Anyone else feel this way about survival?

All classes seem very simple and dull right now, so you would feel that way playing anything, if you want to maximise though it requires some thinking behind each of your actions

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean to be honest and fair, aside from maybe Feral/Boomkin druids and WW monks, all the classes are simple and boring in terms of rotation. From a DPS standpoint at least, I don't heal or tank.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I mean to be honest and fair, aside from maybe Feral/Boomkin druids and WW monks, all the classes are simple and boring in terms of rotation. From a DPS standpoint at least, I don't heal or tank.
    Yes my Shaman elem is crazy boring as well. Bear tanking is also very simple but druid heals is pretty fun atm.

MM is moderately more interesting, or playing SV with focusing shot gives you a little more to think about. Both force you to plan your movement and/or focus management more. Other than that they're still fairly simple, but everything is atm.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I find Surv "harder" to play than it was in MoP. Probably because focus comes in a hell of a lot slower.

As always, there's a huge difference between just playing, and playing with minimal mistakes.
    Last edited by Beace; 2014-12-31 at 07:12 PM.

Deleted
    play an aff lock

I enjoy the style of SV very much now FS makes it smooth and offers an interesting facet.

I really like the new SV, it feels so smooth and flawless with ZERO downtime, lots of insta casts, dots and multistrikes make it feels like flamethrower melting something.

Maybe I need more time with it.

People have been saying that since beta. Without Kill Shot and either Rapid Fire or its own unique cooldown, Survival is the most boring and dull spec in the entire game. You get TWO spells for choosing to be a Survival Hunter. Two. Spells. Explosive Shot and Black Arrow.

You know it's a dead fucking spec when Freezing Trap is displayed as one of its four signature abilities on the Class Specialization page. That's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    SV is one of the most complicated Speccs in WoD.
    In case you dont know how to play SV (copied from the theorycraft thread):

You need to spam your buttons 24/7 to max dps

SV:

1 Black Arrow
    2 Serpent Sting (applied by Arcane Shot, Multi-Shot)
    3 Explosive Shot
    4 Barrage (multiple targets)
    5 Crows/Stampede
    6 Arcane Shot(ToTH)
    7 Explosive Trap
    8 Arcane Shot (focus dump)
    9 Cobra Shot/Focusing Shot (generator)

Use Crows on secondary targets that will live for a significant part of its duration (5-or-so seconds should honestly do).
    2 targets: Use Multi-Shot to apply Serpent Sting to both targets if applicable, Arcane Shot otherwise.
    3+ targets: Use Multi-Shot as a focus dump instead of Arcane Shot
    7+ targets: Stop using Explosive Shot on cd unless Lock and Load is up.

Ofcourse if you choose not to do max dps (not using explo trap, ignoring multidot, using passive Talents like blinkstrike instead of crows/stampede, using lone wolf/exo muni instead of focusing shot and using glaive toss instead of barrage, thus ignoring 50% of the class) it will feel boring.
    Yeah playing with focusing shot makes things interesting for sure.
    Marksman on the other hand, that's not so much to keep track of. Sniper Training basically.

I have a lot of fun in pvp with both specs, I do well in both specs, the 2 piece bonus with 50 more focus is huge, espec in surv getting that every 12 seconds if needed.
    I find MM to be the more boring of the two but I love kill shot finishing off a target. Surv in pvp you ALWAYS have an option it seems, getting out of a tough situation or trying to lay a beat down.

Why are you under the impression that more complicated repeats of button pressing makes for a fun game?

Interesting mechanics, friends and great rewards after a hard fight makes for fun, not pressing 1 2 5 3 4 2 1 3 4 2 5 6 3 1 3 5 5 ........

It is kind of strange not having an execute(killshot is gone) and no major dps CD. But i must say Lock and load feels amazing when it happens

^Two lock and loads back to back. Hnnnnng!

I think explosive trap adds a good skill element to survival. You have to place it quickly and properly to not lose dps.

It's more fluid than almost any other spec, which I appreciate greatly. Running Lone Wolf makes you KING of mobile DPS. It's of course very easy to pick up and play, but has a deceptively high ceiling in order to achieve maximum DPS. It's mostly about ALWAYS having enough focus to cast ES and BA the moment they come off cooldown, every single time. If you have to Cobra Shot here and there in order to get enough focus for an ES or BA, even a few times through a fight, you're losing a good amount of DPS. With multiple targets, I make sure to use my TotH procs to refresh my SS on whoever I can instead of just dumping them all on my main target. It's all those little things combined that will net you max DPS on SV.

Can't think of anything much more complex than feral
    Remember
    Me

Deleted
    If you want a challenge for your brain you could always get a two-piece PVP bonus and try to use that with focusing shot + steady focus and figure out how the hell to dump focus efficiently. I gave up on it and went to lone wolf.

You can reroll a Ret Pally and play wack-a-mole all day