Poll: Do you want to see garrisons as a feature in the next expansion?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Garrisons are great until you have to many characters to try and manage them with. Garrisons should have been bigger, but also account wide.

7+ Year Old Account
    Overall I am enjoying the Garrison and wouldn't mind it returning in the next expansion. However, there are some small concerns I would like to see corrected if they intend to continue with it.

-For people that play multiple characters, leveling more than one Garrison can be overwhelming, tedious, and feel like a chore. Maybe have some buildings be bind-on-account or some kind of catch-up mechanic for alts?

-The Garrison feels isolated from the rest of the game socially. I wish there was better technology for in-game housing. For example, guild "castles," or small towns (i.e. Garrisons) that are guild-owned and visible to the entire server (without instancing). Maybe some kind of political system where only the "top" 50 or so guilds would have their castles visible in the world. How a guild becomes a "top" guild, I have no idea; maybe some of them earn it through PvE or PvP or Gold wealth. Or maybe there is some new social politics introduced where guilds can run-for-president kind of thing and the community votes which guilds get to own land in Azeroth. And maybe other "lesser" guilds can then plan large-scale invasions to dethrone the current dwellers and capture the land for themselves. Just random ideas/pipe dreams. I doubt any of it will ever happen, but maybe some steps in that direction will help.

-Garrisons felt too mandatory. I hope that if they reappear in a future expansion, they will be much more of a side-benefit and not so embedded in the expansion's story-line/questing.

-Race-appropriate buildings! A Tauren would not live in a Hut of iron, bricks, and spikes. Many of the character races have their own gorgeous art styles [Nightelves, Worgen, Undead, etc.] it is a huge shame that they all have to live in Orc huts or Human buildings.

Echoing a lot of other sentiments. I like some of the features but I hate that they decided to make them so mandatory--and I know I don't have to maintain them and all, but you'd be a fool not to since you can get extra Legendary quest items and free raid gear. It's really not alt-friendly, which is what I hate the most. I don't know how they thought this was less alt-friendly than dailies in MoP.

So, in this current incarnation, no, I wouldn't want Garrisons to continue into the next xpac.

I figure this was all merely an experiment into future player/guild housing, though. Here's hoping, anyway.

The first few weeks and using them to gear up were great. Now I barely use anything in mine besides the profession buildings, mine and herb garden.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    -For people that play multiple characters, leveling more than one Garrison can be overwhelming, tedious, and feel like a chore. Maybe have some buildings be bind-on-account or some kind of catch-up mechanic for alts?
    Achievements that are required to unlock buildings are account wide. Therefore, as soon as you hit level 96 on an alt, you can upgrade any of your unlocked buildings to level 3.

-The Garrison feels isolated from the rest of the game socially. I wish there was better technology for in-game housing. For example, guild "castles," or small towns (i.e. Garrisons) that are guild-owned and visible to the entire server (without instancing). Maybe some kind of political system where only the "top" 50 or so guilds would have their castles visible in the world. How a guild becomes a "top" guild, I have no idea; maybe some of them earn it through PvE or PvP or Gold wealth. Or maybe there is some new social politics introduced where guilds can run-for-president kind of thing and the community votes which guilds get to own land in Azeroth. And maybe other "lesser" guilds can then plan large-scale invasions to dethrone the current dwellers and capture the land for themselves. Just random ideas/pipe dreams. I doubt any of it will ever happen, but maybe some steps in that direction will help.
    A guild wide garrison would be a cool feature, but then who would manage it? Giving more power to a guild leader seems like more potential for drama.

-Garrisons felt too mandatory. I hope that if they reappear in a future expansion, they will be much more of a side-benefit and not so embedded in the expansion's story-line/questing.
    They are part of the story. They are in no way mandatory unless you want the slight advantage of getting a rare abrogator stone or gear that is replaced in the first tier of raiding. It gives you an edge if you keep up with it, but that edge is diminished with natural progression anyways.

-Race-appropriate buildings! A Tauren would not live in a Hut of iron, bricks, and spikes. Many of the character races have their own gorgeous art styles [Nightelves, Worgen, Undead, etc.] it is a huge shame that they all have to live in Orc huts or Human buildings.
    Would be nice. But this expansion it basically Orcs and Humans. The horde have help from durotan and the orcs in constructing their garrison meanwhile the alliance have help from khadgar.

I have an overall positive feeling towards garrisons but if they're are to be added next expansion they'll need to be re-worked if i'm going to get excited. I like the followers/missions, invasions and building mechanics but after the first one and even a few weeks with that single one they do become a chore. I don't like the time-gate they put behind a lot of the crafted gear. There should be an option to farm mats even if it takes forever.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only the followers and their missions, cool stuff to do while you are offline. They gain exp you gear them and they bring you resources such as gear, gold and other junk.

No. And this is for 3 reasons:

1. I don't like what they're doing to professions and the fact that they're basically mandatory. I spend a lot of time managing work orders and follower missions when I'd rather just play the game, be out in the world and kill monsters.

2. There's very little customization and all garrisons basically look the same. Sure, you switch around a few buildings but that's pretty much it. I know it would've been unrealistic to ask for more (considering how delayed the release was), but I'm just not feeling it.

3. I simply don't enjoy them. I was pretty hyped when they first talked about the Garrisons at BlizzCon 2013, but when the hype was gone I just didn't care for them any more. Now, when we're a month into the expansion and we've played around with them for a while, I don't think it's fun.
    Last edited by Coronius; 2014-12-27 at 03:13 AM.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

I really enjoy my garrison but I agree that they could use some tweaks.

I would like to see Garrison tied to a faction hub. Ashran is WAY to far away from horde garrison... that and Ashran sucks.

Mine/herb gardens needs to work like the other profession buildings. Something like the barn for skinners only would be nice as well.

They need to be a little less tied into questing. I would much rather just upgrade/buy the stuff for my garrison then have to run around questing. It is fine on the first character but after that it is annoying.

Some of the buildings need to be improved as they feel useless. Stables for example is great until you have all the mounts and then it becomes poor because the speed bonus doesn't stack with any other bonuses. No resources, no quests... nothing once you are done you are done.

Profession buildings need to be weakened more for people that don't have the craft linked to it.

I expect a lot of changes before the next expansion and honestly I think they found a winner with garrison. Funny because I thought garrisons would suck and I thought scenarios would be great... That didn't work out how I thought it would.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    No. And this is for 3 reasons:

1. I don't like what they're doing to professions and the fact that they're basically mandatory. I spend a lot of time managing work orders and follower missions when I'd rather just play the game, be out in the world and kill monsters.

2. There's very little customization and all garrisons basically look the same. Sure, you switch around a few buildings but that's pretty much it. I know it would've been unrealistic to ask for more (considering how delayed the release was), but I'm just not feeling it.

3. I simply don't enjoy them. I was pretty hyped when they first talked about the Garrisons at BlizzCon 2013, but when the hype was gone I just didn't care for them any more. Now, when we're a month into the expansion and we've played around with them for a while, I don't think it's fun.
    How are they mandatory? Other than the stuff tied into questing I could play everyday doing lots of stuff and the garrison makes little difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    How is it antisocial? You're one portal away from the expansion's hub town, you're connected to general/trade chat and you can have friends visit over.

Explain how it's antisocial.
    Because everything worth doing in WoD is only at my garrison I have no reason as a player to step out of my garrison. As such a player will never see any other players unless they go out of the way to find them. Most people won't, I sure as heck won't.

Give me one good reason to goto the "capitals" other than getting my weekly seals?

Rep gear? It's not worth getting.
    Ashran? PvP doesn't exist as far as I am concerned.
    AH? My alt is in SW for actions where it's been for the past 5 years.

Heck I never step outside of my garrison on my lv capped toons for any reason. I don't do apex dailies because they are boring and inconvenient to get to. I don't need to farm anything because everything is inside the garrison. You can't even watch people duel for amusement anymore because you would have to step outside just to be phased together to see them.

Garrisons are the most antisocial feature ever introduced into this game and I hope we never see them again in any way, shape, or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    Achievements that are required to unlock buildings are account wide. Therefore, as soon as you hit level 96 on an alt, you can upgrade any of your unlocked buildings to level 3.
    Level 3 buildings require a level 3 town hall which you cannot get until 100. At 96 you can get level 2 buildings which you have to purchase on every character.
    Last edited by lizon; 2014-12-27 at 03:48 AM.

It's good as a WoD feature but the next expansion could use a major feature that has more active content than e.g. logging on and sending followers on missions and the like. Seems like a lot of people feel like garrisons don't give them enough to do. Alternatively they could scrap the idea of developing a new central feature in the vein of garrisons and just give people more active content to do.

Edit - or maybe garrisons should take more work over a longer period of time. Like, garrison resources should be something that you have to farm or build up via dailies rather than something you passively collect. Maybe something along those lines would make it feel like there is more content at 100.
    Last edited by hablix; 2014-12-27 at 05:14 AM.

Given the outrage over Garrisons being specific to WoD, I'd have to say, Yes. Yes I do.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrisons have alot of pros and cons. Some specific things I'd like to see are account garrisons progression and guild halls. I haven't thought either of those out much but the expansion is still young and the Garrison system has alot of room to grow.

Also lets get over the whole gathering profession limitation, let anyone gather anything and everything if they want to. They've already borked the econ with the mines and gardens, just bust it wide open and compensate with requiring more variety for everything thats crafted.

Fuck yes, one of the best features since transmog. Drama queens are either too stupid to understand it or they're just one of those people that want everything handed out to them on a silver platter without any work involved whatsoever, well news flash for you - Investing time, if you can even call Garrisons investing time seeing as how you can literally do it once when u log in and then ignore it for the rest of the day or just choose to do work orders every 3 days but okay, is rewarding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OGXanos View Post
    Garrisons have alot of pros and cons. Some specific things I'd like to see are account garrisons progression and guild halls. I haven't thought either of those out much but the expansion is still young and the Garrison system has alot of room to grow.

Also lets get over the whole gathering profession limitation, let anyone gather anything and everything if they want to. They've already borked the econ with the mines and gardens, just bust it wide open and compensate with requiring more variety for everything thats crafted.
    Monument achievements are account-wide progress, so are the level 3 blueprints. There's no guild hall but there's a trophy room tied to the Archaeology and a Guild Herald for displaying the guild banners all over the place.

I like them but one account wide garrison would have been nice, where the alts can place different buildings without having to go through the same upgrade process on each one, maybe account wide shareable garrison resources would be nice as well.

I think they should update garrisons rather than throw the concept away completely, gives players something else to do. There's lots of stuff Blizzard could do with them to make them fresh and interesting.

Pet battles need an update, too...unless I missed something, did they implement that new breeding thing with WoD or was that concept shelved?

Maybe. Provided they actually put in more content outside of the garrisons and it doesnt continue to just wreck havoc upon professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Eh, Garrisons are cool. I'd rather try something different though. Keep trying new awesome things like this.

Personally I wouldn't mind something even more social. My vote goes for Guild Skyships.

In their current form, no. First one is a pretty good minigame but after that they just become a pain in the ass and a huge alt barrier imo. An account-wide garrison or account-wide blueprints+garrison resources would be okay. The second option would make scavengers very OP though, which they kind of already are up until you've upgraded everything.

7+ Year Old Account
    I need my Cra....Garrisons.