10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a lady's watch

My fiancee is hoping for a new watch for the new year. I'm years out of date on that kind of thing, help me out here.

She's medium build, used to do martial arts so she has a bit of strength in her wrist and forearm (bulk), and wants something with a somewhat broad band. She had been steered towards Longines, but suffered sticker shock when she found out what they cost. Prices we found started over 1,000 USD, around 2,000 seemed common, and they had models well above that.

She's looking for something in the 4,000-5,000 RMB range -- call it about 650-800 USD. Cheaper would not be a problem, I see Tissot running just a bit above or below 300 USD. Watch prices are higher here, we may have to get it in HK.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Girls love the Michael Kors line of watches.

My suggestion is to check out WUS (Watch you seek) forums. Google it.

If you are in China I can tell you from experience, do not order it into China. The gov't has to get their cut of every single thing here and you'll pay 20% duty on it and have to send a bunch of forms like your passport scan and visa scan etc. Total pain in the butt.

There are a lot of nice watches that fit into your price range. Michael Kors are complete garbage, so I wouldn't waste my money on them.

Check out the WUS forums. They are the biggest watch forums in the world and have information on everything, including best places to buy.

Deleted
    Moved this to off topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my girl a Maurice Lacroix with my first bonus. You can find some for that price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved this to off topic.
    Thanks, that was where I'd intended to put it. Apologies for wherever it absentmindedly ended up.

If you are in China I can tell you from experience, do not order it into China. The gov't has to get their cut of every single thing here and you'll pay 20% duty on it and have to send a bunch of forms like your passport scan and visa scan etc. Total pain in the butt.
    I am, and it is. If anything you managed to make it sound less annoying than it actually is. Minor officials on their tea break. /facepalm
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2014-12-27 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Avoiding chain posting/typo
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacko View Post
    Girls love the Michael Kors line of watches.
    Working at customs I can confirm that girls love Michael Kors watches so much that 90% of them wearing one ordered a fake one in Chin for 5USD.

- - - Updated - - -

Avoid ordering anything online, you do not know what you order and if you get scammed there is nothing you can do about it. Go to a trusted retail shop for watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Working at customs I can confirm that girls love Michael Kors watches so much that 90% of them wearing one ordered a fake one in Chin for 5USD.

- - - Updated - - -

Avoid ordering anything online, you do not know what you order and if you get scammed there is nothing you can do about it. Go to a trusted retail shop for watches.
    Ordering online is where you will find the best deals. Sure there are scammers out there but that is why I suggested the guy got to WUS. These people buy/sell/collect watches as a hobby.

I have bought 3 watches from members of WUS and had zero problems. I had them shipped into Canada though. The first one I bought from the vendor and had shipped to China was a disaster. It sat in customs A WEEK after I sent the paper work...and then took like another week to get to me. The guy shipped it priority shipping...the 48hr kind...so yeah.

To the OP my suggestion is Singapore, HK, KL if you wish to get it in person. If you can wait, Singapore in has huge sales...they might have one in Feb who knows, I know I was there for xmas last year and they had huge sales going on. I didn't buy a watch but we bought $800 silverware at 80% off - name brand stuff.

Anyways, good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help. There are a number of good suggestions. Unfortunately WUS seems to be on the "not whitelisted" list for my ISP and simply loads forever.

Join pinterest together, and ask her to pin ones she likes in a "watches folder", with a comment of why. aka.. colour.. size.. materials.
    If this is something she wants to enjoy for years to come... it will take the stress and possible disappointment out of it for both of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    For that price you could get her an Apple Watch. I think the Milanese Chain version looks nice:

'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

What a strange place to ask for advice on watches. How about go into a shopping mall?

Shopping malls would have limited choices for the range they seem to be thinking of. Either way.. I'm curious to know what he ends up with. Oh.. and once they are waterproof... I definitely second the apple watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help. There are a number of good suggestions. Unfortunately WUS seems to be on the "not whitelisted" list for my ISP and simply loads forever.
    Bungee I am surprised you are in China and don't have a VPN. I use a VPN 100% while at home so that I can surf trouble free. Also, as a bonus I get a better ping when playing WoW as well.