Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I strongly doubt it for losing a job. There is precedent for civil disobedience with the potential for inconveniencing others in a variety of ways; even peaceful protests like MLK's had the potential for inconveniencing others. Any time a lawsuit involves someone expressing a constitutional right, you have to have a very strong case to get it done.

Now, ambulance carrying someone in need of urgent medical care being delayed and someone dying has a fairly strong case going for it.

You can't sue anyone for practicing their constitutionally protected rights.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Surely the employer would never be able to fire someone due to that? I'd imagine you'd take the employer to court on grounds of unfair dismissal.
    An employer can fire a person for any reason they see fit. It's called "open employment" and many business do this including mine. They can fire you for nothing. So if you are late because of a protest they very well can fire you.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I strongly doubt it for losing a job. There is precedent for civil disobedience with the potential for inconveniencing others in a variety of ways; even peaceful protests like MLK's had the potential for inconveniencing others. Any time a lawsuit involves someone expressing a constitutional right, you have to have a very strong case to get it done.

Now, ambulance carrying someone in need of urgent medical care being delayed and someone dying has a fairly strong case going for it.
    I believe that this happened in one of the recent protests.

10+ Year Old Account
    until the press goes batshit crazy over someone being racially profiled and killed after ridiculous circumstances that DOESNT have a mile long rap sheet these people are really yelling on the road for no reason, so yeah, I think that you should be able to sue them for "making" you listen to them, holding you against your will and making you lose your job.
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    You can't sue anyone for practicing their constitutionally protected rights.
    You can sue someone for practicing their constitutionally protected rights. It's a contract between the people and the government, not between people and people. That aside, the chance of it actually being successful is very small.

Quote Originally Posted by EMULSIVE-FLOE View Post
    I am just pointing out the fact that the recent events of protesters blocking roads was due to the endemic institutional racism present within the United States, propagated by cops.
    So, would that mean you'd like to sue the police force as a whole for institutionalized discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by KievanAquinus View Post
    You're wrong.

I mean, I get it. You don't know anything about the law, but you really don't like these protesters, so why not just assume you could sue them for making you late and thus getting you fired. The fact you can't name any sort of case law to support this conclusion...that doesn't matter, right? Your gut tells you this has legs.

I can't believe this conversation is still ongoing. Is this the best you have? The protesters will make you late for work?
    1. I was asking for the opinions of MMOC-OT
    2. I was curious if there has been a legal case about something like this already.

I guess someone who loses a job while trying to provide for their family is just an acceptable casuality right?

Once again IM ALL FOR THE RIGHT TO PROTEST do it to your hearts content. Why would someone block a freeway though, not only is it really douchey, but extremely counter-productive. Do they really think they will win people to their cause by fucking with them?

Hell I want them to do it more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm fine with protesting, when your protests intrude on my right to come and go as I please, Id be upset. Especially if I lost my job or a day of work from it.
    No it doesn't that is not how that works a constitutionally protected right is a constitutionally protected right. You can't sue because someone realizes it.

Deleted
    Lmfao
    You think there should be a possibility of suing someone for invoking their constitutional rights?
    Only if you can sue idiots for fraud especially morons that signed up and took an oath to protect those rights suggesting people should be sued for it.
    There is a fine line between protest's and making people aware of your plight and rioting / civil disobedience. I would imagine that anyone stopping the free flow of people from one place to another would be classed as civil disobedience and what we are seeing over what has happened in St Lois is Border line Rioting.

This is not protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    until the press goes batshit crazy over someone being racially profiled and killed after ridiculous circumstances that DOESNT have a mile long rap sheet these people are really yelling on the road for no reason, so yeah, I think that you should be able to sue them for "making" you listen to them, holding you against your will and making you lose your job.
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about it like that.

People should have the choice to listen or not to listen to a protestor, they are taking away that choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intresting, but if blocking a freeway is illegal, wouldn't that hold ground as well? I could understand if it was blocking a city street or a courthouse or something, but a major throughfare?
    If blocking a freeway is done in the context of freedom of expression and can't be pursued through criminal court, than it going through civil court wouldn't give it any specific advantage apart from being able to sue in the first place.

No it doesn't that is not how that works a constitutionally protected right is a constitutionally protected right. You can't sue because someone realizes it.
    It could be argued that they don't have the consitutional right to protest on a freeway because you are unlawfully detaining people on that freeway. If I don't want to listen to it, I sholdn't be forced too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you need to touch up on what exactly the Constitution is in the context of the legal profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can sue someone for practicing their constitutionally protected rights. It's a contract between the people and the government, not between people and people. That aside, the chance of it actually being successful is very small.
    No it isn't the constitution trumps any other legislation period. It's why searches without warrant have been over turned even if a crime was commited. You're flat out wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    It could be argued that they don't have the consitutional right to protest on a freeway because you are unlawfully detaining people on that freeway. If I don't want to listen to it, I sholdn't be forced too.
    This is an example of where the US law system, which is actually one of the older legal systems in the Western World since most European countries have undergone significant revisions in the past 100 or so years, needs an update to account for exceptions.

No it isn't the constitution trumps any other legislation period. It's why searches without warrant have been over turned even if a crime was commited. You're flat out wrong.
    So I can grab a bunch of people and block off a major roadway and claim I'm protesting and can't be sued?

Deleted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4tKwqjdFbo

NSFW

if they insist on blocking the freeway, then this was bound to happen sooner or later

10+ Year Old Account
    Because a search without a warrant involves an agent of the state finding evidence. An agent of the state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    There is a fine line between protest's and making people aware of your plight and rioting / civil disobedience. I would imagine that anyone stopping the free flow of people from one place to another would be classed as civil disobedience and what we are seeing over what has happened in St Lois is Border line Rioting.

This is not protesting.
    Wrong rioting is not protesting under the constitution, neither is looting, those are crimes not covering protesting however is, blocking the street or anywhere else.

This is an example of where the US law system, which is actually one of the older legal systems in the Western World since most European countries have undergone significant revisions in the past 100 or so years, needs an update to account for exceptions.

Thanks for your insightful responses Kai.