Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lore wise, which magical class do you think is the most powerful?

Let me know which one you thing is potentially the most powerful playable class in the game in terms of raw magical power, lore wise.

This is not in game OP class, this is lore wise. From the character's we've seen in games and books. (Gul'dan's Warlock, Khadgar's Mage, Lich King's DK, Malfurion's Druid, etc)
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Warlock, because of gul'dan and his stuff and things.

Warlock. The way the lore portrayed locks from a human perspective, they were arcane mages grown so powerful they sought even higher power from more dangerous sources, iirc.

Time Wizard and/or whatever class Old Gods are.

Warlock duh.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Warlock. The way the lore portrayed locks from a human perspective, they were arcane mages grown so powerful they sought even higher power from more dangerous sources, iirc.
    Name 1 human warlock in the lore? The most powerful human mages are still mages.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Time Wizard and/or whatever class Old Gods are.
    Is it so hard to read the original post in the thread you post in?
    "playable"

and im going to go with warlock

Deleted
    I would give this mage. Not any mage tough, the guardians.
    They were solely responsible for stopping the legion when they invaded azeroth.
    Aegwynn even once killed the avatar of Sargeras.

Whatever sargeras is
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as Thrall the Shaman kicks everybody's ass (including Mage's), I'm going to have to say Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by turbosnail View Post
    Is it so hard to read the original post in the thread you post in?
    "playable"

and im going to go with warlock
    sorry, I got stuck on the part "This is not in game OP class, this is lore wise." so I got stuck on that.

Lore wise, playable class? We've seen people take some classes beyond what the average members do. Arthas as the Lich King is more Death Knight than Necromancer, Druid Malfurion throws Anime-like tantrums and wipes out a whole demonic army. We've seen Archimonde and KJ go insanely powerful from becoming warlocks compared to say Velen becoming a holy priest. Ner'zhul and Thrall are incredibly powerful shamans for being a short lived race(more impressive than Archimonde and KJ imo) Gul'dan also a powerful warlock in a short time period. Ner'zhul showing that Shadow Priest are extremely powerful(unless void and shadow are different things). Humans and high elves being powerful mages, but never as impressive as how far Gul'dan or Nerzhul with powers they just learned.

I think they're all evenly powerful, but I think the user is what matters more.

Deleted
    Warlock. The whole class lore is that they are mages that go too far in search of more power.

If we assume that mages are more powerful than warlocks, why would anyone bother with demon magic at all? Its the ultimate trade-off, warlocks are selling their souls to do moar dps.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Name 1 human warlock in the lore? The most powerful human mages are still mages.
    Kanrethad, the Human Warlock who was powerful enough to enter a perma-Meta form and enslave multiple Doomguards, Felhounds, Imps, and a Pit Lord.

OT: Warlocks would be. There have been a few mentions to Fel Magic being stronger (one book by Antonidas remarks that Portals created with Fel Magic were twice the size, covered twice the distance, and used half the energy of a regular Portal) than Arcane Magic, but has the higher price of gradual corruption, ultimately turning you into a slave of the Burning Legion.
    There is no Peace, only Passion
    Through Passion, I gain Strength
    Through Strength, I gain Power
    Through Power, I gain Victory
    Through Victory, my chains shall be broken
    The Force shall free me

Definitely mages, NOT warlocks. Remember Aegwynn? She was far more powerful than Gul'dan.

Better yet, remember Medivh? He was FAR more powerful than any Warlock.

Mages are simply the strongest lore-wise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OmarMukhtar View Post
    Definitely mages, NOT warlocks. Remember Aegwynn? She was far more powerful than Gul'dan.

Mages are simply the strongest lore-wise.
    Remember Archimonde and Kil'jaeden? Warlocks.

Trying to compare "power levels" of characters from different points in time is pointless anyway. There are some nonsensically powerful characters but they are the exception and not the norm.

The class lore of warlock is "like mage, but more powerful and corrupt". How anyone can turn that into "mages are stronger" is beyond me.

They're all as powerful as the plot requires them to be.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post
    Remember Archimonde and Kil'jaeden? Warlocks.

Trying to compare "power levels" of characters from different points in time is pointless anyway. There are some nonsensically powerful characters but they are the exception and not the norm.

The class lore of warlock is "like mage, but more powerful and corrupt". How anyone can turn that into "mages are stronger" is beyond me.
    azshara is a mage there isnt any proof those 2 are stronger than her.
    and isnt sargeras a warrior and stronger than both of them at least he was a warrior?

Quote Originally Posted by Aelrine View Post
    I would give this mage. Not any mage tough, the guardians.
    They were solely responsible for stopping the legion when they invaded azeroth.
    Aegwynn even once killed the avatar of Sargeras.
    Malfurion was the most responsible for stopping most of the invasions.

On the Wiki, Medivh is counted as a Warlock too.

I'd say that Mages and Warlocks are both near the same level, difference is that Mages typically have their powers on a short leash while Warlocks indulge in unleashing all their power.

Quote Originally Posted by OmarMukhtar View Post
    Are you forgetting that Medivh was also a warlock?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing