Deleted

Macbook Pro and WoW FPS

Heya,

I am asking for suggestions on how to improve FPS on my Win Home Office 7 64-bit BootCamp on Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2014 with the integrated GT 750M graphics, i7, 16GB ram and etc.

At the moment I have custom settings in which the game looks good enough, yet the fps is not convincing, I just feel it could do better, if not then say that as well :P.

Anti-Aliasing and Vertical Sync off.
    Text. resolution: Good
    Text. Filtering: 2x Anisotropic
    Projected Textures: enabled
    View Distance: Fair
    Envir. detail: Fair
    Ground Clutter: good
    SHadow: Low
    Liquid: Fair
    Particle Density: Good
    Everything else is Low or Disabled.

Running in Nagrand on a mount I get 47-65 FPS. Camera in a moderate to high distance.
    My resolution is 2880x1800 (wide), without any external screen. Thanks to the high resolution the game looks "sharp" and pretty, however, it is probably also the biggest FPS killer. When I try lower resolution the game looks fuzzy and is basically unplayable.

Obviously, I could improve my FPS if I would put everything on Low (I get 90-110 FPS that way), but I do not wanna pay that "price".

Please, do any of you have any suggestions on how to increase my fps? (Do not bother saying stuff like: get a PC...)
    Any advice is appreciated
    Have a great one

10+ Year Old Account
    Upgrade your hardware, or lower in-game settings..

Other than that, you can't do much.

Quote Originally Posted by rastajelen View Post
    Do not bother saying stuff like: get a PC...
    sorry if the following sounds rude.

what do you expect? a laptop that magically breaks all laws of physics and gives you over 9000 fps just because of having an apple sticker?
    there are no magic tricks to drastically increase the machine's performance without lowering graphics settings untill it looks like doom.
    upgrade your hardware and have better fps or keep what you have, your choice.

Deleted
    Fair enough, thats what I thought I would hear, but it was worth a try. Thank you for the feedback.

P.S. Flaim it seems like you have some issues with Apple . I just thought maybe it could do better, no need to go on a rant.

Besides better hardware there isn't much you can do. I know you said don't mention PC, but well that's pretty much the answer since upgrading hardware and Macs don't tend to go hand in hand. If you aren't using that Mac for work purposes then I'd swap it for a PC you'd be far better off. If you need it for work, then you'll just have to lower settings.

Fair enough, thats what I thought I would hear, but it was worth a try. Thank you for the feedback.

P.S. Flaim it seems like you have some issues with Apple . I just thought maybe it could do better, no need to go on a rant.
    well, i said sorry upfront ^^
    there are only 2 things i hate about apple/macs:
    1) their insane pricing. the hardware is worth less than half of what apple asks for them.
    2) clueless hipsters praising them as the holy grail of computers. (clueless) people act as if they had some godly performance, just because they paid 2k for hardware that every 500€ notebook has and then they wonder why they have low fps in demanding games...

don't get me wrong, macs are decent work machines (office work!).
    but using them for gaming is comparable to using a single spoon for peeling 5 tons of potatoes, unless you actually get one of the most expensive one - at that price level you could get a pc instead that has the highest end graphics card (e.g. gtx980) and the entry level intel i7 (e.g. the 4790k for the current gen) and still have money for 3 new monitors & a phone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    well, i said sorry upfront ^^
    there are only 2 things i hate about apple/macs:
    1) their insane pricing. the hardware is worth less than half of what apple asks for them.
    2) clueless hipsters praising them as the holy grail of computers. (clueless) people act as if they had some godly performance, just because they paid 2k for hardware that every 500€ notebook has and then they wonder why they have low fps in demanding games...

don't get me wrong, macs are decent work machines (office work!).
    but using them for gaming is comparable to using a single spoon for peeling 5 tons of potatoes, unless you actually get one of the most expensive one - at that price level you could get a pc instead that has the highest end graphics card (e.g. gtx980) and the entry level intel i7 (e.g. the 4790k for the current gen) and still have money for 3 new monitors & a phone.
    Yeah, it is all true. However, this machine is actually very powerful and CAN be used as a portable computer (and since I am constantly on the move, I cant have a desktop - for the price of this one I could have two very strong gaming desktops), unlike tons of windows powerful but plastic craps. In addition, it is very pretty (obviously not something you should rank highly when looking for a powerful laptop, nevertheless, that is what Apple does) It is without doubts overpriced and what not, but I had the money available, plus I love OS X, plus I want to do some gaming with only few games in mind. No super demanding games like BF and etc.

Maybe, in few years, if I still find myself clinging to the games, I will regret this choice and when this one is gonna be around "dissolving time" I will just get myself a Windows Ugly on the outside, but beautiful in the inside princess.
    Last edited by mmocc9568e6023; 2014-12-29 at 09:16 AM.

Yeah, it is all true. However, this machine is actually very powerful
    i could have stopped after reading this, but i didn't.
    nevertheless i'll have to bust your bubble right here.
    while the cpu might be ok, a gtx750M is far from being powerful.

and CAN be used as a portable computer (and since I am constantly on the move, I cant have a desktop [...]
    portable computer, yes.
    but since when is "computer = powerful" by default?
    of course you can do all the office work with that, video editing, CAD (although these two take way more time to process in comparisson to a desktop), and LIGHT gaming, but comparing it to a desktop is like comparing a calculator to a smartphone. there are dimensions between this esthetic office machine and an actual gaming laptop (not even talking of gaming laptops to gaming pcs).

unlike tons of windows powerful but plastic craps.
    that's an unfair comparisson. there are metal case laptops with windows, just that they are a little bit more expensive than a plastic one.

In addition, it is very pretty (obviously not something you should rank highly when looking for a powerful laptop, nevertheless, that is what Apple does) It is without doubts overpriced and what not, but I had the money available, plus I love OS X,
    can't deny that.

plus I want to do some gaming with only few games in mind. No super demanding games like BF and etc.
    but then you shouldn't wonder why the performance isn't there. just because wow uses comic style graphics it doesn't mean they are not demanding.

Maybe, in few years, if I still find myself clinging to the games, I will regret this choice and when this one is gonna be around "dissolving time" I will just get myself a Windows Ugly on the outside, but beautiful in the inside princess.
    not all windows laptops are "ugly" and even that statement is very subjective.

btw. if you're still looking for an upgrade i can recommend the Asus G751JY. (beware! there are multiple configs of this one. the strongest features an i7-4860HQ, while the slightly lower modell utilizes the i7-4710HQ)
    it features not only a decent intel i7, but a gtx980m aswell which is just a rebranded (desktop!) gtx 970.
    guess you'll be looking for quite some time to find something with similar performance and an apple sticker (and even if you find one it'll be at least double the price :P)

If you use standard windows kit you are not so cool but you get a better playing experience. Macs are good for designing stuff, windows better for doing stuff. Been like that for decades.