Thread: King of Beasts

King of Beasts

I'm running a variation of the Timber Hunter and I so want to add King of Beasts but I feel it's only ever with it if my Snake Trap is played via Mad Scientist but Sludge Belcher does better and can be played regardless. I think this card either needs a mana cost reduction or +2 for each Beast to ever be worth it.

+2 would be massively excessive, it is just fine as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saichotick View Post
    tl;dr - apparently shop buttons = anti christ

Deleted
    The card is obviously underpowered and that's why it is collecting dust ever since GvG launched and no popular deck appeared running it and no one even bothered testing it. I mean, even a terrible card like Flame Leviathan was a bit tested by some streamers like Amaz and Trump until they completely dumped it.

I don't think the problem is with the +1 bonus, I think it's the base stats of the card, the 6 health is fine, but the 2 attack is terribly low for a 5 mana card. I mean, for it to have Yeti stats it would need to be a 5/6 so you need at least 3 beasts on board for it to reach that amount of attack, which is something that almost never happens either because the opponent would never let you keep so many creatures on your side or simply because there aren't that many good beasts right now.

Even if you somehow had 3 beasts on the board, why go through so much work just to turn a card into a 5 mana yeti when you can pay the same 5 mana for WAY better cards that don't require this much setup?

It's actually a good card it's just that it isn't designed for rush and of course every Hunter runs rush. I think Blizzard deliberately added cards to support deck builds outside the norm.

All things considered it probably averages out to the same stats as a druid of the claw in taunt mode, and when silenced it still has 6HP. If Hunters went for tankier/rampier builds this would be a good option.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Curtarc1987 View Post
    The card is obviously underpowered and that's why it is collecting dust ever since GvG launched and no popular deck appeared running it and no one even bothered testing it. I mean, even a terrible card like Flame Leviathan was a bit tested by some streamers like Amaz and Trump until they completely dumped it.

I don't think the problem is with the +1 bonus, I think it's the base stats of the card, the 6 health is fine, but the 2 attack is terribly low for a 5 mana card. I mean, for it to have Yeti stats it would need to be a 5/6 so you need at least 3 beasts on board for it to reach that amount of attack, which is something that almost never happens either because the opponent would never let you keep so many creatures on your side or simply because there aren't that many good beasts right now.

Even if you somehow had 3 beasts on the board, why go through so much work just to turn a card into a 5 mana yeti when you can pay the same 5 mana for WAY better cards that don't require this much setup?
    Don't compare everything to a Yeti, frankly Yetis are a little over budget IMO. Compare it to other 5 mana taunt cards.

It's no Sludge Belcher but that's because Sludge Belchers are ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I've run into the King of Beasts in Arena and it stomps my face in. When otherwise they wouldn't have a decent taunt for that price, they can just throw out the King of Beasts and continue to smash your face in.

This is probably just subjective since Arena is Arena and I didn't have removal any of those times, but I've never seen what's so bad about it. It's decent, so long as you play it at the right time.

I dont get the hate? with one beast up, its a fen creeper with beast benefits, with two, its a druid of the claw. obviously it isnt a rush card, but with snake trap or unleash, or highmane about to be traded its pretty good card

Deleted
    Works well in arena

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    I dont get the hate? with one beast up, its a fen creeper with beast benefits, with two, its a druid of the claw. obviously it isnt a rush card, but with snake trap or unleash, or highmane about to be traded its pretty good card
    Fen Creeper isn't run though, for good reason. Fen Creeper itself has too few stats. The lowest acceptable statline for KoB is a 4/6, which requires having two beasts out at once. And ideally you want to play it for the huge buffs which are very hard to achieve save with expensive and/or cumbersome UtH and Snake Trap combos. So in the main you might as well just play the more consistent Sludge Belcher.

KoB is really a win more card in many ways and those are usually bad. And finally there's the simple fact that it's a card best suited to Control Hunter, and Control Hunter - while perhaps viable, just doesn't hold up to Aggro Hunter.

I think if it weren't a Battlecry but just a continuous effect it might help it a lot. There's so much removal and the game is based completely on board control that if you have out say, 2 or 3 beasts already ON your turn 5 you've probably almost won anyway. Not many cards out there can clear a full board on turn 5 (6 if you go second). But if I could play KoB, keep it out and say, combo it with Unleash the Hounds + X Beast next turn it would be a decent amount of burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Fen Creeper isn't run though, for good reason. Fen Creeper itself has too few stats. The lowest acceptable statline for KoB is a 4/6, which requires having two beasts out at once. And ideally you want to play it for the huge buffs which are very hard to achieve save with expensive and/or cumbersome UtH and Snake Trap combos. So in the main you might as well just play the more consistent Sludge Belcher.

KoB is really a win more card in many ways and those are usually bad. And finally there's the simple fact that it's a card best suited to Control Hunter, and Control Hunter - while perhaps viable, just doesn't hold up to Aggro Hunter.
    so the usual "it doesnt fit into the fotm deck therefore its bad" mantra...

That's precisely right. If I'm trying to win I want to play a deck that works; this card has been proven to be bad and it's support system around it is bad so therefore it is not good and I will not win constructed games with it. If you built a beast deck with these in it will it win? Sure. I played a mill rogue deck for a while that was a ton of fun. Would I ever seriously try to climb the ladder with it? God no.

You get 9 decks for a reason. Build it as a fun deck and have fun with it. If you take it into high level ranked though and lose, don't complain about it. Really easy.

Deleted
    People are used to having rare hunter cards better then legendaries tho.

I don't see the issue - it's the card with the POTENTIAL to be very strong later on and in a different meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    People are used to having rare hunter cards better then legendaries tho.
    well said and very true

Deleted
    It's bad in the current meta yes. And even in a world where control Hunter is viable it relies too much on having a large established board presence - which makes it a win more card. These tend to be bad. In a very slow meta-game it could be very good. But that's not where we're at at the moment.