Who would win?

Sargeras vs Cthulhu

FIGHT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sarg uses fire

Cthulhu uses water

pokemon logic

Cthulhu wins

Oderus Urungus rapes and slays them both, then smokes 9001 tonnes of crack over their corpses.

Hrmm. I would have to agree with Genn.

Deleted
    Cthulhu han- Tentacles down.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    A creature from the mind of H.P Lovecraft over some employee from Blizzard. hmmm.

Cthulu is nothing but an old god. Sargeras was the titan of war.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Sargeras is a bitch compared to other fictional characters, dont know much about Cthulhu though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Sargeras is a bitch compared to other fictional characters, dont know much about Cthulhu though.
    Good for you it makes you crazy.

Segeras dresses up as a cutsie raccoon and scratches Cthulhu with his claws and makes him completely docile.

Southpark logic.

The mighty Cthulhu would destroy anyone in his way. For he is the mighty one! He shall bring us glory through eternal darkness! All hail Cthulhu

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    Good for you it makes you crazy.
    Hehe i do know the basics about Cthulhu but that's about it, i should read some more on the thing.

is this even a question? Cthulhu would simply eat him

Is Sargeras on a boat?

Actually knowledge about Cthulhu doesn't makes you crazy. Wel it does, but it's mot an inherent effect, which is something lost people talking about Cthulhu seem to miss. He's not a dragon octopus with an aura of effect of insanity. The problem is that knowledge of Cthulhu exposes humans to a greater understanding of the universe as a whole, learning that our understanding of it is pitiful and insignificant to such a degree that it tends to break our flimsy minds.

Image one day you find out, for sure, not hypothetically speaking, that the entire Milky Way Galaxy was basically the old used up teddy bear of a single being and our planet earth was just one of the dismal fleas upon it. That sort of thing.

Cthulhu was kind of a wimp even in his own mythos so Sargeras might win. Sargeras set againt Yog Sothoth however is fantastically lopsided in yogs favor.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Who is Sargeras?

Cthulhu isn't really all that crazy though. There are Old Gods the size of galaxies, they warp time and space.

Azathoth or Yog-Sothoth are fucking insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Who is Sargeras?

Cthulhu isn't really all that crazy though. There are Old Gods the size of galaxies, they warp time and space.

Azathoth or Yog-Sothoth are fucking insane.
    Sargeras is the lord of the Burning Legion, from World of Warcraft.

Anywho: Depends on what you consider to be canon for Cthulhu. Cthulhu is public domain stuff these days, nobody owns the rights to him so if I say Cthulhu's only power is to summon bunny rabbits it's no more or less legitimate than some of the novels people have written about him. The only proven official Cthulhu content is the short story "Call of Cthulhu" which isn't what the Cthulhu mythos is really known for. The whole thing is basically built on fanfiction.

In canon, Cthulhu's day got fucked up by a steamship running into him, so I'm gonna go with Sargeras for having more defined powers and a known history of being really good at killing shit. We don't know a ton about Sargeras, but based on the powers of the lesser Demons and Titan watchers we've fought, I think it's safe to assume a steamship ramming him would tickle, so he definitely has better durability than Cthulhu.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Sargeras is the lord of the Burning Legion, from World of Warcraft.

Anywho: Depends on what you consider to be canon for Cthulhu. Cthulhu is public domain stuff these days, nobody owns the rights to him so if I say Cthulhu's only power is to summon bunny rabbits it's no more or less legitimate than some of the novels people have written about him. The only proven official Cthulhu content is the short story "Call of Cthulhu" which isn't what the Cthulhu mythos is really known for. The whole thing is basically built on fanfiction.

In canon, Cthulhu's day got fucked up by a steamship running into him, so I'm gonna go with Sargeras for having more defined powers and a known history of being really good at killing shit. We don't know a ton about Sargeras, but based on the powers of the lesser Demons and Titan watchers we've fought, I think it's safe to assume a steamship ramming him would tickle, so he definitely has better durability than Cthulhu.
    Is it even in any way confirmed that that was truly Cthulhu that came out and got rammed by the steam ship? Not an avatar of Cthulhu? separate physical manifestation? star spawn? door-greeting butler?
    And if it was Cthulhu proper, you have to consider that it had just awakened, awakened at a time it wasn't supposed to, regenerated after taking the hit, and was immediately dragged off and returned to slumber because the stars shifted.

If you're purely taking Lovecraft's work as the only cannon, then there isn't really enough information one way or the other. You could speculate based on the nature of the Old Gods and what powers might extend to Cthulhu, then weigh those against Sargeras' stats though.
    On the other hand, if you expand what you're willing to consider to include works by other people, one can certainly make a distinction between renown authors who stay within the spirit of the canon, and random fan fictions of any and all calibers.

If we're going to start dismissing characters because the author defined them too poorly, then superman would lose every 'Goku vs Superman' thread out of hand:P

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Is it even in any way confirmed that that was truly Cthulhu that came out and got rammed by the steam ship? Not an avatar of Cthulhu? separate physical manifestation? star spawn? door-greeting butler?
    And if it was Cthulhu proper, you have to consider that it had just awakened, awakened at a time it wasn't supposed to, regenerated after taking the hit, and was immediately dragged off and returned to slumber because the stars shifted.

If you're purely taking Lovecraft's work as the only cannon, then there isn't really enough information one way or the other. You could speculate based on the nature of the Old Gods and what powers might extend to Cthulhu, then weigh those against Sargeras' stats though.
    On the other hand, if you expand what you're willing to consider to include works by other people, one can certainly make a distinction between renown authors who stay within the spirit of the canon, and random fan fictions of any and all calibers.

If we're going to start dismissing characters because the author defined them too poorly, then superman would lose every 'Goku vs Superman' thread out of hand:P
    All of that is why I prefaced my post with saying that it depends on what you define as canon. A strict definition would be that only works by Lovecraft count. The more non-Lovecraft content you allow for Cthulhu, the closer Sargeras' odds of victory go to 0. Unless Sargeras is really really OP, we don't really know for sure but when he does make his wow appearance I doubt he'll be much worse than a super Deathwing.

Also, Superman's powers are very well defined at any given moment, they're just subject to random changes when hack authors get to take a crack at him. Personally, I prefer anything written by Grant Morrison. For me, his stories define Superman; who he is and what he can do. Also, I still think Goku would beat Superman, so you won't hear a lot of disagreement from me there.

I don't even dismiss Cthulhu so much as I just throw my hands up and say, "Who knows!" because without relying on things that I can't call canon, there's a big lack of information.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2014-12-29 at 02:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cannot compare a mind-bending mysterious entity to a fiery giant-sword-wielding titan. Different kind of power, mind force vs brute force.

If you compared Cthulhu to N'zoth however...