How accurate is simcraft stat weighting?

As the title suggests I want to check in with some experienced simcraft users. I am finding that even after the the havoc changes and all the cleave encounters I am simming with mastery very low.

Currently my secondary stats are

Solum EU Chromaggus server

Can't post links yet.

Have tried several different settings including helter shelter add cleave and number of targets.

Simcraft is putting mastery very low as a stat weight which I find surprising as it's not like I have obsence amounts of mastery anwway?

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Soulswap; 2014-12-29 at 08:07 AM.

Well to start I am by no means an experienced Simulationcraft user but with the 5 different options I ran for you Mastery was 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I did have one skewy result with a ST fight where it was last and haste actually first. However, let's face it fights most fights have adds so that in my opinion that weird result should be discarded.

I actually closed the program before I finished this but do you really consider a difference of say from 0.35 to 0.4 (or whatever) is going to be ground breaking to your dps? I haven't tried fiddling with my stat numbers recently but last time I did that I saw very little change what between several of the stats. As locks we probably should be running at least one other spec as well for Highmaul and overall mastery seems to be main stat that all 3 can get something from rather than say crit which the other 2 don't like much. So what did your results say was your best secondary stat?

What you need to understand is that Simcraft does not give an absolute value for every stats.

To put it simple, it gives the "contribution" to your DPS by every point of stat. For Mastery, it will be something like : "DPS gained thanks to your Mastery" / "Amount of Mastery you have" = Stat weight. The more you stack mastery, the more other stats gain in efficiency.

Imagine a perfect game where stats where completely equal. It would be better to have 10% haste and 10% crit than 20% crit and 0 haste.
    Because 1.1x1.1 > 1.0 x 1.2
    But, the stats aren't completely equal, by design, so for the majority of the classes, it's better to stack some stat up to a certain point.

What the low Mastery weight means is that you have enough mastery and should avoid getting more and start getting stats with a better weight. But if you start to drop Mastery, the Masery weight will increase, so you don't want to get rid of all your mastery.

That said, if you want to get into some theorycraft, you should not only pay attention to the stat weights and begin to look into the plots.
    People pay way too much attention to the "stat weights" and forget the rest of the sim.
    Last edited by ThunderTaco; 2014-12-29 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Failed basic math, +20% is 1.2 not 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTaco View Post
    Imagine a perfect game where stats where completely equal. It would be better to have 10% haste and 10% crit than 20% crit and 0 haste.
    Because 1.1x1.1 > 1.0 x 2.0
    But, the stats aren't completely equal, by design, so for the majority of the classes, it's better to stack some stat up to a certain point.
    uhh. what? 1.21 isnt > 2.0.

To the OP. I'm willing to wager that it's probably because we haven't started to hit diminishing returns on crit yet, and that's why it's still telling you to stack crit. Though your mastery isn't THAT far behind crit.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Last edited by demonicpanda; 2014-12-29 at 04:41 PM.

Yeah sorry, i failed. I meant 1.2, not 2.0.

Deleted
    The time you're wasting on worrying about simcraft and stats would be far better spent on researching individual encounters.

Gaining 50 to 100 extra dps on your character sheet means nothing if you don't know how to Havoc or keep your DoTs up properly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post
    The time you're wasting on worrying about simcraft and stats would be far better spent on researching individual encounters.

Gaining 50 to 100 extra dps on your character sheet means nothing if you don't know how to Havoc or keep your DoTs up properly.
    If u have nothing useful to say dont speak, you fucking muppet

Infracted
    Last edited by Nicola; 2014-12-30 at 01:25 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastig View Post
    Nice aggressive post history. Got a bee in your bonnet about something?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    LOL.

@OP, Worry more about what your stats do relative to class mechanics and the actual encounter, then whatever number simcraft gives you.

I'll take ridiculously hypocritical and ironic statements for $1000, Alex.

Simcraft's stat weights are pretty accurate, as far as I know.

Of course, they're only accurate for whatever the sim is doing. So the further you are from doing exactly 100% what the sim is, the less potentially accurate the stat weights will be.