Page 1 of 30
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"The Interview" was pirated about as much as it was purchased at release.

The article in question, from Torrentfreak.

The numbers since this original release have actually unbalanced themselves even further.

Why is this, do you think? The eternal argument against Piracy is "Whatever is wanted to steal is too inconvenient to obtain otherwise", yet the rate of Piracy versus legitimate viewership of this movie seems to suggest that's a bit of a false argument.

We don't' have a final way to look at it until we get a heatmap of the downloads, but all in all, this just makes me think that DRM and Theater releases aren't going anywhere. This is pretty solid proof as to why they exist: A large sum of people are just cheap assholes, and would rather steal something than pay for it.

You had your chance to make something special of this, Internet, and you fucked it up.
    Last edited by Xisa; 2014-12-29 at 06:37 PM.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

I didn't want to risk getting blown up....

Just kidding, I've not even bothered to download buy it yet.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

The numbers since this original release have actually unbalanced themselves even further.

Why is this, do you think? The eternal argument against Piracy is "Whatever is want to steal is too inconvenient to obtain otherwise", yet the rate of Piracy versus legitimate viewership of this movie seems to suggest that's a bit of a false argument.

We don't' have a final way to look at it until we get a heatmap of the downloads, but all in all, this just makes me think that DRM and Theater releases aren't going anywhere. This is pretty solid proof as to why they exist: A large sum of people are just cheap assholes, and would rather steal something than pay for it.

You had your chance to make something special of this, Internet, and you fucked it up.

Just shows people are talking out of their asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    They made a fuss about what was probably a piece of shit film, people wanted to see what the crack was. One film does not an argument make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the release was US only.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    They made a fuss about what was probably a piece of shit film, people wanted to see what the crack was. One film does not an argument make.

Movies and tv shows are getting easier and easier to watch via hulu, netflix and other such services.

Has pirating gone down any?

Deleted
    I download movies and series all the time.

In fact it is not stealing but breach of copyright infringement. Private lawsuit not government related.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post

Why is this, do you think? The eternal argument against Piracy is "Whatever is want to steal is too inconvenient to obtain otherwise", yet the rate of Piracy versus legitimate viewership of this movie seems to suggest that's a bit of a false argument.

Quite sad. I am proud to say I have no pirated anything in a very very long time. I think as I got older, I realized that if I had a digital product that I was trying to make a living off of, I would be really upset if 1/2 of the products distributed was stolen.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rented it via google, but watched it via torrent. The options they used for digital downloading/viewing did not let me watch it on my TV.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Movies and tv shows are getting easier and easier to watch via hulu, netflix and other such services.

Has pirating gone down any?
    Good question.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard it was shit and if there is one thing I won't support it's Hollywood making shitty movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    A single example does not disprove the argument. You cannot just put out one single movie digitally and then see that people still pirate it and then say "Oh, well there ya go. Digital distribution doesn't work." People get set in their ways and the people who have been pirating for years are not going to all of a sudden stop. If easy, digital access was made available for all media, many people would eventually give it a shot and in the long run pirating would be reduced. It would never go away, but it would be reduced.

Rotten Tomatoes said 54% which is pretty bad.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_interview_2014/

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    I heard it was shit and if there is one thing I won't support it's Hollywood making shitty movies.
    I liked it, but a lot of people seem to just be rabidly against anything those guys make (shrug).
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    UH OH LOOK OUT HOLLYWOOD!

But you support Hajime Isayama and his terrible anime? GG

(JustkiddingIloveAoT)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    I download movies and series all the time.

In fact it is not stealing but breach of copyright infringement. Private lawsuit not government related.
    If you delete it within 24 hours and claim it was for educational purposes, it's not even copyright infringement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I torrented it, it was ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    A single example does not disprove the argument. You cannot just put out one single movie digitally and then see that people still pirate it and then say "Oh, well there ya go. Digital distribution doesn't work." People get set in their ways and the people who have been pirating for years are not going to all of a sudden stop. If easy, digital access was made available for all media, many people would eventually give it a shot and in the long run pirating would be reduced. It would never go away, but it would be reduced.
    This. Do people not remember what Steam did for gaming? It seems like the OP is living in a state of willed ignorance. Educate yourself at least a bit before you go creating posts on the subject.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tkbaby13 View Post
    UH OH LOOK OUT HOLLYWOOD!
    [/SIZE]
    I have this kind of budget for everything movie related and it pisses me off when I waste cash on stuff like Transformers or Godzilla so I'm trying my best to spend it wisely (hello Interstellar and The Lego Movie).
    Last edited by Bodom; 2014-12-29 at 06:29 PM.

it was probably just the method of release, they released it online, so any idiot could rip the thing and reupload it, if its in a cinema first you go through a phase of cams and then you might get a telesync, ppl won't watch the crappy versions but if there is a pristine version of it then its a field day.

also 'a large some of ppl are just cheapskates' generalization, what if i said 'a large sum of ppl simple don't have any money'

its probably a mixture of cheapskates and the poor. wasn't it crap movie anyway?
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-12-29 at 06:29 PM. Reason: dunno wut happen thar