AddOns for returning after 3 years

Hello all -

I just started playing WoD a month ago, after being gone for 3-4 years. I was heavy into using mods back in Vanilla/BC/Wrath, but since coming back, I've noticed that places like Curse & WoWInterface really don't do a good job of identifying things that 'used' to be popular, but are no longer really used.

For example - ForteXorcist is still highlighted strongly on Curse, as it had millions of downloads back in the day. It hasn't been updated in forever however, and remains broken in many ways.

Because of this, I'm having trouble identifying what people consider to be the 'go to' mods these days. For reference, I run a Holy Priest, Hunter, and Bear Druid. Would you all be able to provide some guidance? I've highlighted pressing issues in red.

Things I used in 2011:

Text:

Prat 3.0 - Still good. Other than Chatter, any competition?
    Shared Media - Best way to change system fonts since Fontain died?

HUD Elements:

IceHUD - Still great.
    MSBT - Still good, has problems with absorbs.
    Logarithmic Cooldown Bar - ForteXorcist and SexyCooldown are abandoned, and CoolLine is only 95% functional (and looks like ass). Any recommendations?
    Boss Mods: DBM was the standard back then, but BigWigs was making big inroads. DBM still seems highly functional. Any reason to use other?
    Debuff / Aura Tracker: Used to use Elkano's and ForteXorcist, but a lot of changes seems to have neutered one (Elkano) and Forte is abandoned. Looking for something that can help me track debuffs on me and debuffs on my target. Want something movable, with countdown text and icons. Do *not* want attached to Unit frames. Is this where WeakAuras comes in (or is it PowerAuras?)?.
    Mapster: Still pretty good. Not sure if anyone recommends better.
    Chinchilla: Like the graphic formatting options. Has not kept up well with MoP/WoD features well. Open to alternatives. Aware of SexyMap, but last I used it, all it was was a 'bling' addon with no real utility options for changing the way the minimap behaved.

Data:

Recount: 3 years later, and it still looks like hell. Highly functional though. Opinions on this or Skada? Would love of someone would give its graphics some love.
    Omen3: Is this still even necessary? Tank aggro seems so strong these days.
    Gatherer: Haven't seen the use of this in WoD that I saw in Wrath, but I place a bit of blame for that on Garrison Mine/Garden.
    _NPCScan: Looks like Blizzard changes killed this one?
    DataBroker / TitanPanel: Here was a category I didn't think would go backwards. Titan panel is still very restrictive on appearance/graphics, and so many DataBroker addons are straight up broken. I used to use ChocolateBar and Bazooka, but boy are they still a pain in the ass to set up. Any recommendations? DataBroker still seems the way to go compared to FuBar, however.
    TipTac: Ever since I came back, I'm having a lot of bugs with this one. Tooltips sometimes show up, sometimes they don't. Weird.
    Auctionator: Still great, see no reason to change.
    Postal: Does what I need.

Frames:

Pitbull4: Love the customizability, still a bit bloated however. I only use the Target, ToT, ToToT frames. Any new contenders? Hate Xperl.
    Grid: Looks like the Grid2 project fizzled out. Grid is awesome, but sorely needs some updating to the setup interface. Not crazy about default raid frames. Is my best option still to slog through this mod setup?
    Bartender4: Same as ever. Don't see a reason to change.
    MoveAnything: Same as ever. Still a bit buggy.
    Tradeskills: I used to have a mod that made the god-awful Tradeskill window larger and better, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Things that have caught my eye, but I haven't checked out yet:

GTFO
    TomTom
    GatherMate2 (as opposed to Gatherer)
    Bag Mod - I've always hated bag mods, but GW2 and Rift got me more acquainted with the notion of 'One Bag.' Might check out Bagnon, but only if it has extremely good sorting ability.
    Any Garrison mods.

Thanks all!

10+ Year Old Account
    HUD Elements:
    Weak Auras, it's the replacement to LCB.

Data:
    Get Skada, it has issues but less than recount and it's appearance is quite customizable.
    Skada has a threat option built right in, no need for Omen.
    Gathermate2 works well, Gatherer is the old version. Not super needed except for your farmer toons.
    Titan Panel, depends what you want out of it. It's a small bar on the top of my screen that
    tells me important info quickly. I've not delved further into all the plug-ins they offer.

Frames:
    Xperl is gone. Something broke it in WOD. They offer Zperl but it's the same thing, still bloated etc.
    Pitbull isn't too bad, like you I only use the minimal.

Caught your Eye:
    GTFO - love this addon. It's not hard to get out of fire but that one time you let your eyes slip
    over to the TV or cat doing something stupid it will beep at you until you move. It also keeps track
    of your effups so that can be kinda fun for info LOL.
    Tomtom... if you get Titan Panel, you don't need this. it comes with coords built in.

Garrison:
    MasterPlan - helps improve the mission UI
    Garrison Mission Manager - helps choose followers for missions based on success.
    (one of these addons also makes the animation part for a completed mission much
    much faster. it's just a list, you click complete and it's done in 3-4secs.

Hope that's a bit of help for ya.
    Welcome Back!

The tooltip problem (where sometimes they appear, sometimes not, or only for a fraction of a second) is a bug reported on the official forums and is not caused by any addons.

I have the problem pretty constantly.

I saw a Reddit post where simply mousing over the mini-map (or even pinging the mini-map) can temporarily fix it. Works for me so far.

Deleted
    For minimap I'm using Mappy. It's worked better than sexymap, and most any other minimap addon I've tried. Dunno if it can do what you want/need it to do.

I use ElvUI for most of my UI elements. Add to it:

HUD Elements:
    IceHud - still pretty good but so is ElvUI HUD though I've gotten away from using a HUD addon as my frames, Raven, and Power Auras Classic do what I want
    MSBT - still great, some like Parrot but I think MSBT has the easier to use UI; not had trouble with absorbs that I've noticed
    Raven - it replaces everything I used to use ForteXorcist for (including Logarithmic/Sexy Cooldown Bar)
    DBM - is still king AFAIK
    Raven - Debuff / aura tracker, works wonderfully, meets all your criteria
    ElvUI - mini-map built in, works great, solid features

Data:
    Details! - Newer entry in the meters category, I find it so much better than Recount and Skada, very accurate, great feature set
    GatherMate2 - Don't use it myself but I've heard good things
    _NPCScan - Still works, also get _NPCScan Overlay to get overlays on the map to show NPC paths/locations
    ElvUI Data Panels - TitanPanel still works and does it's job but I prefer the ElvUI based ones since it does most of my UI already
    ElvUI Tooltips - They look good and work well, I used to use TipTac until I saw ElvUI's
    Auctionator - Still great
    Postal - Still great

Frames:
    ElvUI - Frames are built in, look and work great and mouse-over targetting works on all of them. xPerl is now pretty much dead and Pitbull works fine AFAIK
    Bartender4 - Still great, Dominos is good too
    MoveAnything - Still great, though only rarely needed
    Tradeskills - I haven't used in a long time, I've gotten used to not having it

Other:
    TidyPlates - Headline mode with class coloring for friendlies and healthbars for enemies, love this setup, looks amazing, if using ElvUI, disable its built-in nameplates
    Omen - No longer needed, plates turn red when you have aggro and aggro just isn't much of an issue anymore unless dps is over-geared and tank is under-geared but if a hunter is in group, even then, non-issue
    GTFO - Is really, really great, sometimes you don't see the stuff on the ground or you tunnel a few seconds here and there, this prevents that
    TomTom - I haven't used in forever, not really needed IMHO
    Bagnon - Solid bag add on, but ElvUI has built-in features for it so I don't use it anymore
    MasterPlan and Garrison Mission Manager - These are the bees knees for garrisons, so much easier with them
    PowerAurasClassic - Still amazing, some prefer WeakAuras, I however do not; not a fan of the UI, PAC is easier to use and does all I need
    Spy - Notifies you of opposite faction players nearby, has a kill on sight list, really useful out in the world
    BattleGroundTargets - Shows list of enemy team in BGs, what spec, who has flag, click to target, etc.
    GladiatorlosSA - Announces enemy actions, superb in any PVP
    ElvUI Addon Skins - Keeps the UI looking consistent for other addons, if using ElvUI, definitely get it
    ElvUI ChatTweaks - Makes the chat window awesome, way better than any other I've used
    MogIt - Great for figuring out xmog sets and where to get them
    AtlasLoot - Shows all possible loot from all instances, sets, and world bosses
    Macro Toolkit - Really useful for macros
    Last edited by CodeConqueror; 2014-12-30 at 03:47 AM.