Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    As it always been. As years pass, shit gets easier. Less work involved.

I want you to see some of the newer jobs involving the cutting edge of technology and tell me that is simpler. They now have a jet fighter helmet for the F-35 that can see almost 360 degrees around the plane itself, imagine programing that thing to never fail in a life or death dog fight. Simple right?

Also if you want to see hard work as tedium, look at linux server maintenance, that will drive someone insane.

If you are implying that physical activity is hard work then sure I can see that desk jobs require less physical work, but that does not mean newer generations don't work as hard in a more technological focused world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Shop, auto, home ec classes aren't as prevalent as they used to be (although not completely nonexistent). Today's generation might not know how to fix a transmission but the average millenial is vastly more tech-saavy than previous generations.
    Exactly this - When I was in High School 1 semester of Home Economics and Auto Shop was mandatory. They taught basic skills such as changing a tire, changing your own oil, and how to jump a battery in Auto Shop. Home Economics taught basic cooking skills for pasta, eggs, and even taught a short 3 week class on sewing. Today those are electives and Computer Science a mandatory class.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So, I read this article today and it made me think a bit, generally speaking does the younger generation know how to fix simple things? https://www.yahoo.com/diy/young-peop...523138575.html

Growing up, if something went wrong with my car I could figure it out and fix it, even if it meant tinkering and researching on the fly, my first car was a 1985 honda accord LX, and I was always having to work on it. The first time I changed a radiator, I did it on the fly, no books or consultations, just common sense.

Disconnect hoses....check
    disconnect wiring harnesses...check
    remove mounting hardware...check

This mindset helped me alot as a military helicopter mechanic. Of course we used manuals during the task, but the simple stuff didn't require a ton of thought. However as time progressed and younger and younger troops joined, less and less seemed gifted with critical thinking skills.

Is this a trend that anyone else notices? Does it seem like the new generation either just doesn't care, or is unable to tinker and fix things on there own without someone holding their hand?

Does anyone else here on MMOC-OT Tinker and fix their own mechanical and electronic devices?
    I could change a radiator on a 1985 Honda Accord LX. I most certainly can't change the radiator on my 2012 Nismo 370z. I probably couldn't on the 2005 Mazda 3 I had before it. They're mega complex, and you have to remove all sorts of strange things to get into them now. Of course, that article is completely full of shit and is extremely biased.

people under 40 are a “lost generation” when it comes to learning how everyday items work and how to fix them
    And people over 40 can't even figure out how to work them in the first place. We're in an era where a large chunk of "everyday items" are extremely complex. They aren't designed to be maintainable, either. If you break the screen on your phone, I wonder what percent of people 40+ could fix it on their own versus people <40. I wonder how huge the percent of both groups is that would simply take to a store to be fixed or replaced.

How about the keyfob to my car? I could probably replace the batteries on my own, but I'd need to consult my owner's manual to figure out how to re-code it afterwards. Like I said at the start, fixing my car? I put it up on the ramps and change my engine and differential oil pretty easily, but pulling the whole front bumper off to get to the intake or radiator or any of the other parts up in there is a daunting task.
    I guess im talking about more indepth stuff.
    In depth in what sense? Old stuff? Things without microprocessors running every little part of them? It's not the same world. Everything is computerized. In my pockets right now are 3 things with microprocessors in them. One of them is 40x faster than any commercial microprocessor that existed when your car was manufactured.

I fixed the problem and it hasn't been in issue since, it just seems that many of the young generation are more inclined to pay a mechanic 1000$+ to do a job that might cost them 100$ to fix on their own with a hour or so of research.
    You can go to Best Buy, stand next to the Geek Squad counter, and see the other side of the coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If your mechanic charges you $1,000 for a repair that takes $100 in replacement parts and an hour of labor, you're an idiot at picking mechanics.
    This too. I don't know why people just think certified repairs can be done in a breeze with an internet search either.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I could change a radiator on a 1985 Honda Accord LX. I most certainly can't change the radiator on my 2012 Nismo 370z. I probably couldn't on the 2005 Mazda 3 I had before it. They're mega complex, and you have to remove all sorts of strange things to get into them now. Of course, that article is completely full of shit and is extremely biased.

And people over 40 can't even figure out how to work them in the first place. We're in an era where a large chunk of "everyday items" are extremely complex. They aren't designed to be maintainable, either. If you break the screen on your phone, I wonder what percent of people 40+ could fix it on their own versus people <40. I wonder how huge the percent of both groups is that would simply take to a store to be fixed or replaced.

How about the keyfob to my car? I could probably replace the batteries on my own, but I'd need to consult my owner's manual to figure out how to re-code it afterwards. Like I said at the start, fixing my car? I put it up on the ramps and change my engine and differential oil pretty easily, but pulling the whole front bumper off to get to the intake or radiator or any of the other parts up in there is a daunting task.In depth in what sense? Old stuff? Things without microprocessors running every little part of them? It's not the same world. Everything is computerized. In my pockets right now are 3 things with microprocessors in them. One of them is 40x faster than any commercial microprocessor that existed when your car was manufactured.
    Said it all.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Thats not what this is at all, calm your tits.

It's a observation, i'm not saying that the current young generation (shit im only 33 for christs sake) seems less inclined to do their own troubleshooting and repairs.

For example, Last year I had a engine code light illuminate on the truck. I had it tested, and did research into what caused the problem. After that i researched on how to change the part, what the part does, and how to prevent the problem in the future.

I fixed the problem and it hasn't been in issue since, it just seems that many of the young generation are more inclined to pay a mechanic 1000$+ to do a job that might cost them 100$ to fix on their own with a hour or so of research.
    Tony have you even heard of the Maker Movement?

Or are aware of just how the balance of mechanical skills versus technological have dramatically shifted?

I'm also certain the factor of 10 in that anecdote is wrong, at home jobs for most repairs is going to save you 500% tops. Maybe don't go to such rip off mechanics? Or learn to haggle?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Shop, auto, home ec classes aren't as prevalent as they used to be (although not completely nonexistent). Today's generation might not know how to fix a transmission but the average millenial is vastly more tech-saavy than previous generations.
    If you can run google there is a good chance you can find out how to do anything else you want.

Deleted
    Thats not what this is at all, calm your tits.
    Yes it is. It's an old man complaining about young people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Exactly this - When I was in High School 1 semester of Home Economics and Auto Shop was mandatory. They taught basic skills such as changing a tire, changing your own oil, and how to jump a battery in Auto Shop. Home Economics taught basic cooking skills for pasta, eggs, and even taught a short 3 week class on sewing. Today those are electives and Computer Science a mandatory class.
    Because open access to information means you don't need to waste time on it. Youtube tutorials cover more in less time.

Christ when I had to change the heating element on a washer I just watched a 4 minute video and got on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Yup, I'd love to see someone who can change a transmission take on a Tesla.
    Just curious, what would make the transmission on a Tesla so much harder then any other transmission?

Deleted
    Yeah, well guess what granddad.

I can operate a tablet.

You can't.

+10 to millenials.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If your mechanic charges you $1,000 for a repair that takes $100 in replacement parts and an hour of labor, you're an idiot at picking mechanics.
    It's all about dem labor costs, many mechanic shops charge 100+ an hour for labor.

I guess im talking about more indepth stuff.
    Like what?

I do not care at all about cars. However, there are people who are trained to fix cars, where as I'm trained to create web sites, that they use to buy goods. Its the same principles as there have always been, don't you think for a minute that you can try and create a false narrative just because you cant wrap your head around a changing world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
    If you can run google there is a good chance you can find out how to do anything else you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Because open access to information means you don't need to waste time on it. Youtube tutorials cover more in less time.

Christ when I had to change the heating element on a washer I just watched a 4 minute video and got on with it.
    Yes but you have to consider opportunity cost. A person who spends their time learning about computers is using up the time that they could have taken to learn other things such as auto repair...that's not to say that they can't do both, but it's very likely false that millenials know *less* than other generations--their knowledge base is simply about *different stuff* (like computer science).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Yeah, well guess what granddad.

I can operate a tablet.

You can't.

+10 to millenials.
    Works as a comeback unless your granddad is a civil engineer. Then you get "well you cant build bridges" smart assery

Deleted
    Just curious, what would make the transmission on a Tesla so much harder then any other transmission?
    Because it doesn't have one.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I have fixed toilets, sinks, dryers, my car, and many other things. If you can diagnose the problem with Google and common sense then there's probably a guide you can follow to fix it.
    I like this mindset - This is where I used to make the most money from...."I saw it on YouTube and tried to fix it myself"

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You can go to Best Buy, stand next to the Geek Squad counter, and see the other side of the coin.
    This too. I don't know why people just think certified repairs can be done in a breeze with an internet search either.
    Geek Squad is hardly an example I'd set for people knowing what they're doing. From knowing people who worked there, they're trained to lie in order to upsale to their clients and are prohibited from using troubleshooting tools and known solutions that are not on the Geek Squad approved list. They are glorified salespeople who are employed to charge $1000 for a $100 job because "your HDD and Motherboard are going bad and need to be replaced" when in reality it's just cleaning up the startup (folders, registry, apps, etc.) Unless you're saying that car mechanics rip people off, then I suppose your analogy is spot on!

Also, working in the MSP industry I can tell you that in the business world young people are equally as ignorant when it comes to technology as older people. They're both equally arrogant and stubborn as well.

Deleted
    It's all about dem labor costs, many mechanic shops charge 100+ an hour for labor.
    No they don't, you're getting ripped off mate.

I've never seen a mechanic charge such insane prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post

How about the keyfob to my car? I could probably replace the batteries on my own, but I'd need to consult my owner's manual to figure out how to re-code it afterwards. Like I said at the start, fixing my car? I put it up on the ramps and change my engine and differential oil pretty easily, but pulling the whole front bumper off to get to the intake or radiator or any of the other parts up in there is a daunting task.In depth in what sense? Old stuff? Things without microprocessors running every little part of them? It's not the same world. Everything is computerized. In my pockets right now are 3 things with microprocessors in them. One of them is 40x faster than any commercial microprocessor that existed when your car was manufactured.
    ...and the reason anyone that could change their oil before still can do that is because it is a mechanical process that can't be computerized. Fluid changes, line bleeding, etc... no problem.

Now lets see those "older" people that think they are so handy change their timing... or start their car without a key like they did when they where kids.