Smite Championship topples over League World Championship

Smite has now passed the League of Legends World Championship prize final with its prize pool of over $2.4 million dollars.
    http://www.dailydot.com/esports/smit...ee-prize-pool/

Not too surprising, really. Crowdfunded prize pools can quite easily get larger than "normal" ones if fans are interested enough in the tournament. Pretty sure TI4(or was it 5 this year?) had a prize pool that made the LoL Worlds one look tiny in comparison as well, because of the Compendium, and I have no doubt that LoL Worlds would've had an even bigger prize pool than that if Riot had done a crowdfunded prize pool.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Bleh. They'll only hold those bragging rights for a few months, until the next MOBA/FPS championship puts up larger prize pool. Really; it's just a popularity contest.

I'm honestly surprised by this growth of Smite. I didn't think it would be that popular in general, but I guess the fact that it's a 3D MOBA instead of bird's eye is rather big.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I'd say it is pretty surprising how Smite, a game thats not exactly up there with the big 2 hitters is able to keep up, community in Smite is great though. Riot are seriously on the same level as EA for me, even without crowd funding they should beable to match any prize pool with ease.
    Definitely. They just didn't really have a reason to. And it kinda sucks that they didn't do any crowdfunding, honestly. I'm sure a lot of LoL players would've loved something like the Compendium that Valve did.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Biggest prize pool or not, I'm pretty sure that Season 4 World Championship for League had the highest amount of concurrent viewers by a LOT over any other game's championship.

Quote Originally Posted by noladrew View Post
    Biggest prize pool or not, I'm pretty sure that Season 4 World Championship for League had the highest amount of concurrent viewers by a LOT over any other game's championship.
    Well yeah, that's pretty much a given with how big the game is in China/Korea/SEA. Nice to see that there's room for other games besides LoL and DotA2 in the pro MOBA scene, though.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I'd say it is pretty surprising how Smite, a game thats not exactly up there with the big 2 hitters is able to keep up, community in Smite is great though. Riot are seriously on the same level as EA for me, even without crowd funding they should beable to match any prize pool with ease.
    I agree. The community of Smite is 5000 times better than League of Legends. People seem more friendlier towards each other for some reason. Ofc there are annoying people like in any moba, but far less than i've had in league.

And yeah the prizepool growth was pretty absurd for the world championship. I remember when the odyssey first started (the 21 item "journey" that they used to get money for the prizepool) and the overall total gathered was at like 500k or something. Took a break for like a month, and it had jumped up by 300-400k.

Closing this down as the thread is already initially framed in a game vs. game manner, which isn't going to lead to anything productive.