Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why do people BM?

Turn 1 hunter spams "Thanks". Last turn, hunter slow rolls until the rope is about to burn and then kills you with 2x Kill Command or Unleash the Hounds. Zoolock player has no board, but needs 5 damage to kill you, topdecks a Doomguard and proceeds to slowroll you until he finally decides to finish you off with a "Sorry".

Now, everyone has gone through situations like this and I am not saying it's only Zoo or Face hunter players that do this (although it seems they do it more often), but I am interested in hearing everyone's opinions on what makes people feel such pleasure in BMing other players. Is it self-confidence problems and they somehow feel better when they win an online card game? Is it that BMing has become so common and popular that people just do what the majority does? Is it because decks with a higher win % like Zoo and Face hunter are so used to beating people and because of that they feel superior to everybody else? Is it a way to de-stress?

Deleted
    I'm sure there are myriad of psychological minutiae to explain it but essentially it just comes to personal gratification, and because in our society bad manners are considered part of being cool. It keeps getting worse though, because it is further propagated by popular media, including many pros and streamers themselves.

Not all of them of course, and thankfully there still are players who refrain from it. Personally, those are the streams I favor instead of all the immature prattling that goes on other streams.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2014-12-30 at 07:00 AM.

I try not to BM but when I do it's honestly because I dislike you or your style. Like when someone's top decking against you and you've finally stabilized after they're rushing and they top deck the perfect card that was a 1 in 17 draw chance and you can't help but yell "F you" at your computer screen.

Or if you BM first. If you spam me with crap all game I'll just squelch you and then slow roll it with emotes.

this is why i vote for auto-squelch.

Unlike other games, Hearthstone doesn't have any "content" or "fancy graphic".

The only reason to play is to stump newbs or make opponent feel bad.

Honestly you shouldn't assume that it's some kind of malice when it could also be that the other player really needed that long to work out that their card combo was lethal.

I encounter this behaviour very rarely. Most players who have a kill take it in short order.

To me EVERYONE plays slowly on every turn though. Drives me nuts. The timer should be halved before round 7 at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fibby76 View Post
    The emote options are so incredibly constrained that I don't understand why anyone bothers to squelch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

That sounds very unnecessary, and I've never seen such inane level of BM. Unless you were playing as a priest, in which case, I wholeheartedly agree with your opponents.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solmyr13 View Post
    I try not to BM but when I do it's honestly because I dislike you or your style. Like when someone's top decking against you and you've finally stabilized after they're rushing and they top deck the perfect card that was a 1 in 17 draw chance and you can't help but yell "F you" at your computer screen.
    That's just being a bad sport. Top decking is a very common thing in this game that we all have both benefitted from and been screwed by.

Or if you BM first. If you spam me with crap all game I'll just squelch you and then slow roll it with emotes.
    I agree with this. If you BM first I'll make sure to inconvenience you as much as possible, win or lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like letting people get their hopes up. If I have a fireball for lethal I will not play it and end my turn until the other person thinks they might actually win. Then I have a secret like ice block to prevent me from dying that turn then I finish them the next turn. I don't like losing because you can't do anything about it and when I'm going to win I like it drawn out and to toy with my enemy. Things like just ending my turn and letting them die from being out of cards are just fun to me.

Deleted
    I don't mind getting BM'd, nor do I partake in it bar for one special instance...
    Zoolocks
    If you play Zoolock I'll BM the living shit out of you, because I detest the deckstyle sooo much.
    And yes, the reason for my detest is because Zoolock tells me you're a rather bad player, but you still love to win so you resort to playing the most braindead deck in the game.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    I like letting people get their hopes up. If I have a fireball for lethal I will not play it and end my turn until the other person thinks they might actually win. Then I have a secret like ice block to prevent me from dying that turn then I finish them the next turn. I don't like losing because you can't do anything about it and when I'm going to win I like it drawn out and to toy with my enemy. Things like just ending my turn and letting them die from being out of cards are just fun to me.
    ...and if they heal themselves up above your lethal limit because of your time-wasting BM? Then what? You lose, good job. You could've finished things off smoothly and not wasted time for anyone.

I don't mind BM lethals at all.. In fact I do them myself quite often to show the other player what I had in my hand.

What I do hate, like most probably.. is the spamming of emotes. Sure squelch helps, but Blizzard could "easily" take actions to just silence the other player if they do more than 10 emotes in let's say 5 minutes. And mark those players so they get silenced more easily in the future. It could really help the experience of all players, spammers can spam while not knowing their spam ain't working and those who don't like it don't see it.

But there is really nothing you can do about them atm. What you should do is to learn to zone all this out, as getting annoyed can impact your decision making in the game. You can even just Squelch everyone after the usual Well Mets and then go on to beat the other player

Deleted
    To be a big bitch :>

I do it, but it does make it sting that much more when it gets used against you. Or even worse if you make a cock of it all and miss lethal, then they win, and then they are also your next match and things are super awkward.
    Last edited by mmoce84939a4e2; 2014-12-30 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knyx View Post
    That's just being a bad sport. Top decking is a very common thing in this game that we all have both benefitted from and been screwed by.

I agree with this. If you BM first I'll make sure to inconvenience you as much as possible, win or lose.
    Yeah but when a player was playing incredibly horribly with perfect cards all game and you draw crap and it's still close... yeah I can't stand when they emote when they win like they were some amazing player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    ...and if they heal themselves up above your lethal limit because of your time-wasting BM? Then what? You lose, good job. You could've finished things off smoothly and not wasted time for anyone.
    Then I would give them a well played emote. It's more fun for both players if you're toying with them and they still have a chance to win rather than just losing straight up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The sad thing about stuff like this is that some people (I know of some personally) don't even realize how angry it makes people on the other end, they think it's just all in good fun to make as many moves as possible on their last turn, or try to set up the biggest finish possible.
    That always baffles me as well. I used to account for it with people doing their dailies but when it is literally 9/10 games the excuse runs a bit thin. It doesn't bother me though... just amuses me that some people have a need to do so, as if making a point or something.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Yeah but when a player was playing incredibly horribly with perfect cards all game and you draw crap and it's still close... yeah I can't stand when they emote when they win like they were some amazing player.
    Squelch is your friend

Seriously, a lot fewer distractions that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibby76 View Post
    This is an option I'd like as well. It lets me start and finish every game with a nice, pleasant "hello" and "well played" without being any the wiser as to whether the other player is being obnoxious with their emotes.

Just autosquelch them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigy View Post
    I don't mind getting BM'd, nor do I partake in it bar for one special instance...
    Zoolocks
    If you play Zoolock I'll BM the living shit out of you, because I detest the deckstyle sooo much.
    And yes, the reason for my detest is because Zoolock tells me you're a rather bad player, but you still love to win so you resort to playing the most braindead deck in the game.
    Zoolock isnt easy to play. It still takes thinking and planning to make the appropriate moves. Whether to trade or face. In fact, ALL decks are that way. Just because theyre mostly made up of low mana cards doesnt mean its easier to play (Arena says HI).

I never BM. It just seems to me to be in poor taste. Even if I'm getting BM'd all game and I end up winning I still won't BM. As soon as I see lethal I go for it. I don't waste my time or my opponent's time.